• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh my goodness, help me!!!!

cally73

Young Bun
To cut a long story short I took my 6 month old lionhead to be spayed today. I always use the same vets,however a few months ago a locum vet was in as mine was on holiday:shock: and told me that my male was female. I was suprised but I am new to rabbits.:? However my usual vet said today she IS a he!!!!:censored::censored: Now he has been living with a female Snowy, who is only 18 weeks old they have been together since Christmas. So how likely is it that my female will be pregnant, how soon do they become fertile? I am absolutely devastated as i trusted the vets sexing! So I have got my male Pumpkin inside tonight recovering, obviously he cant go back in with her for 6 weeks. However i dont have enough hutches. I have an indoor hutch spare but only two outdoor hutches one with a bonded pair in and then Snowy in the other. What should I do? Shall I bring the female in and keep a watchful eye on her or am I going to have to try to get another hutch to get me through the next few weeks. What signs shall I look for if she is pregnant? I dont think I can think straight. I was not a happy lady in the vets!!! I work full time too so this is a lot for me to be managing at the moment! My daughter 4 is just excited at the thought of baby rabbits, I am too young to be a nana:lol:

what a moron! can you take female rabbit to the vet (not the offending one) and get them to check if she is or not? sorry no help with hutches, id be confused too! x

I would be tempted to contact your vets and ask them for a hutch after causing you all this trouble... :shock:

I would also ask them to check if she is pregant (for free mind you, don't let them charge you a checkup fee!) It may still be best to keep them separated though, because if she gives birth while he's still fertile they could breed again.

I would take your female to a good vet and get her checked to see if she is pregnant, there is a possibility that she isn't or is not very far gone at that age so he may be able to perform an emergency spay. That way you will be able to keep them together.

I would take your female to a good vet and get her checked to see if she is pregnant, there is a possibility that she isn't or is not very far gone at that age so he may be able to perform an emergency spay. That way you will be able to keep them together.

I agree with the above. At 18 weeks she's old enough to be spayed, assuming that she's not pregnant/too far gone. I still think, though, that you'll have to keep them apart for a week after her spay, in case he injures her.

Back