• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scary Statistic

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
I am running Rabbit Husbandry evenings at work during Rabbit Awareness Week and we are also running offers for those owners who have not got their rabbit vaccinated or have let it go overdue.

I have just finished a report into how many of the rabbits registered with us (2 surgeries) have not been vaccinated or are overdue...

78% :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I'm not surprised though. I looked after some rabbits for someone while they were on holiday and they thought once they had one vaccination, they were done for life:?.

Wow... although I can't talk, Smudgie is currently 3 days past his 6 month myxi vaccination date but I can't get to the vets until Saturday :oops::oops::oops:

i dont think the recession is helping any animals right now.. i just hope people trying to save a few quid dont find out what can happen :cry::cry::cry:

I must admit my bun is now nearly a week past his 6month date thanks to my lack of transport unless I pay mum to take me. Thankfully the vets have appointments saturday and the BF can take me in (although he refuses to hold the bunny in case he misbehaves! Not that he would, daft thing loves going in the car and seeing the vet :roll:).

So many people I know who have rabbits didnt know about vaccinating them, or assumed they were safe because they only went in the garden, and no wild bunnies get in. I explained that even if you only go out in the garden, you can catch a cold, so only going in the garden your bun can catch anything. They wouldnt neuter though :?

I must admit my bun is now nearly a week past his 6month date thanks to my lack of transport unless I pay mum to take me. Thankfully the vets have appointments saturday and the BF can take me in (although he refuses to hold the bunny in case he misbehaves! Not that he would, daft thing loves going in the car and seeing the vet :roll:).

So many people I know who have rabbits didnt know about vaccinating them, or assumed they were safe because they only went in the garden, and no wild bunnies get in. I explained that even if you only go out in the garden, you can catch a cold, so only going in the garden your bun can catch anything. They wouldnt neuter though :?

I must say that the majority of the rabbits in my report have NEVER been vaccinated! :shock:

It doesn't really shock me that much. Before I became a bunny mummy I didn't realise that they needed to be done.

I think much more awareness needs to be raised about it.

When I got mine from a rescue they never mentioned vaccinating him and actually discouraged me from neutering. I had him neutered as soon as his settled though and vaccinated straight after. I worry though, theres a lot of myxi round here and Im terrified of him getting it.

Back