• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blood! :cry:

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger Bun has been off colour all day. He was fine last night, and dove into his dinner when I put them back at 11:30ish. When he woke up this morning though it was obvious he was going to have one of his 'quiet' days. He didn't want any breakfast, and has been looking generally poorly all day. I gave him a little 'rabbit juice' (small amount of recovery well diluted) this morning. They were loose in my room while I had lunch, and I've just come back to find Ginge with blood all round his mouth and nose, and all down his paws. I've cleaned him up as well as I can, and can't see any wounds. There's no more fresh blood. I'm panicking about VHD now. He's up to date with his vaccine, but he has been outside a couple of times this week. Is there any possibility this could be it?

My gut feelng is that it's a tooth spur which has cut his tounge, although Katie checked him about 5 days ago and said he was ok. He's feeling very sorry for himself now, although he's attempting to clean himself. I'm so worried. :cry:

Poor boy. I don't know about VHD but does sound like he has cut something. Mouth injuries do bleed a lot. He hasn't caught a nail and then cleaned his face? Are you taking him to the vet? If he has been off colour then maybe it is a tooth problem.

hope he feels better soon xxxx

my vet mentioned a VHD outbreak and she said if they are jabbed its totally preventable so i doubt its that, she also said they die within 12 hours of getting it :shock:

My Spice bled from the mouth & it turned out to be a myxi nodule in her mouth & throat. VHD is usually pretty fast-acting, & apparently vaccines are actually effective for that (not like my myxi vaccine:roll:)

Joey bled from the mouth years ago after his first time on laminate flooring - he slid into the wall & cut his tongue:oops:::roll:

He hasn't caught a nail and then cleaned his face? Are you taking him to the vet?

When cloudy ripped his nail off it looked like some kind of Bunny murder sceen!! You'd be supprised how much they bleed. He was very embarrassed afterwards as well (Doesn't do quiet) so check he still has all the nails.

It's not his nails. I'm convinced it's myxi now! How did the vet diagnose it Angie? Could they see with the auroscope? He's also having diarrhea today - not a lot, but no normal droppings at all. :cry::cry::cry:

I phoned Katie and she said not to take him to the vet, she'll bring the auroscope tomorrow evening and we'll take it from there. I love my little bun rabbit so much.

Last edited:
can you get an emergency appointment??? blood and diorriah are really bad in bunnies. TBH. i'd just stick him in a basket and march hon down there. Harp on about contagious dieses and you'll soon be seen. Good luck :) sure it's nothing but better safe then sorry.

I can't take him to the vets without my parents paying, and they won't hear of it. My mum just said Ginger was like 'a creaking gate' - I think she means because he quite often has an 'off' day. That's not helping him right now though!! I'm so worried about him. He's eaten nothing all day and I've only got a tiny bit of recovery left.

Vibes desperately needed!

i think you need to stamp your feet on this one a bit to get your own way. If you were ill they would take you to the docs xxx lots of vibes :(

i think you need to stamp your feet on this one a bit to get your own way. If you were ill they would take you to the docs xxx lots of vibes :(

I would normally but I know how much they're struggling for money at the moment. They're finding it hard just meeting the usual bills. :( Plus my sister is a vet, so I think they think it'd be money thrown away.

Katie looked at him before she left for work this morning. She said it's definitely not myxi. He put up a huge fight when she checked his teeth so she can't tell if they need doing or not - she said it's possible he just bit his tongue. :? I feel really torn now - do I risk the anaesthetic when it might be unnecessary, or do I leave it and see how he goes?

Oh poor little one. I don't know what to suggest sorry but I hope it all works out for the best :(

Back