• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mummy Humping Baby

sailaice

Young Bun
My rabbit had a litter of babies last year... daddy is now neutered but mum is still unspayed. The babies went to my neighbours 4 weeks ago which is lovely as we get to see them all the time however one of the neighbours has now decided she no longers wants her baby bun so he/she is back with us.

Baby bun is at the vets tomorrow morning to be sexed but in the meantime today I thought I'd try and reunite baby with mum and dad as ideally I'd like to keep them as a trio.

I put all three into the run in the garden - dad was totally indifferent to baby bun but mum started to hump baby!! Is this normal? I removed baby instantly

Wondering what the next move should be?

get mom spayed first to be honest, then baby.

Baby would be fine at mo but once hormone kicked in fighting could break out and you'll have to seperate, and doing this could ruin a rebond later due to earlier arrgession,

I'd be safe than sorry later im afraid, good for taking him/her back though

how old is the baby now ?

If she had her babies last year for a boy if you turn the baby over you should see plumbs by as early as 12 week sometimes

Mum is asserting her dominance over baby.

Because they've been seperated, you need to introduce them on neutral teritory now, to avoid fights.

It's also worth getting mummy speyed becuase her hormones will make her hump baby even when they are friends again. And also, there's all the health benefits of having her speyed, like the fact she won't get utriene cancer which is pretty likely she will, if left unspeyed :)

hope this helps:wave:

Right will get mum booked into be speyed and keep doing intros in the run.

If she keeps up this humping though is there no hope of reconciliation?

I did remove baby bun as soon as mum humped him, really want a happy little trio :D

humping isnt a bad sign in itself as was said it is a form of dominace, our concern is hormones , neutering does calm hormones alot and the cancer risk reduced greatly too, so we are just saying if you take a safe route you stand a much better chance of a bonded trio :D

Right will get mum booked into be speyed and keep doing intros in the run.

If she keeps up this humping though is there no hope of reconciliation?

I did remove baby bun as soon as mum humped him, really want a happy little trio :D

They'll all be friends again eventually. Best way to do it, is to put all 3 bunnies in a neutral space (ie - somewhere none of them have been before) and let them get on with it. There will be humping and fur pulling, but thats normal. If they start to properly fight, then seperate them. Chasing and bum nipping is normal too.

Please do not put them back together until you know the sex of the baby. You don't want another litter.

It sounds as if mum was just asserting her dominance. Neutering and spaying should sort that out.

Back