• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess and extraction.....Advice please!

cheryl21

Warren Scout
Stella had an abscess drained a few weeks ago but the lump returned last Wednesday. I booked her in a the vet on thursday and she had the abscess drained again and this time, they managed to get the tooth out, although the root fractured and a small piece is left inside - the vet said it was too close to her eye to remove safely. The wound was packed with a honey dressing to try and rot the remaining piece of root so it will come out. She had the dressing removed yesterday and he lump on the side of her face has gone down a lot.

I've been giving her metacam which i'm told is a painkiller, she is also having 2.7ml of flagyl once a day - does anyone know is this a normal dose - it seems a lot for a little buns tum? Also, how likely is it that the abscess will return? She seems fine in herself and has been eating ok.:)

Thanks

Last edited:
Poor Stella, my buns got an abscess to at the moment behind his eye(from eating a brush though :oops: not his tooth) which also can't be operated on - he is also on Metacam which is an anti-inflammatory painkiller 0.5ml twice a day, 1ml of Baytril an antibiotic and Fucithelmic eye ointment and once a week he goes to the vet for a depocillin injection.

Unfortunately abscesses in buns are very hard to treat as the pus is very very thick, and like we have both epxerienced, often in places that are too dangerous to operate near so in cases like this antibiotics - sometimes long term - are the best bet, i have heard the honey is very good too, the manuka honey i think it is.

Everything crossed for Stella and that she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks, she seems to be doing fine at the moment. I just didn't know if 2.7mls of flagyl is normal - it seems quite a lot for a little tum! The vet seemed hopeful that the abscess will go with the tooth, as long as this piece of root comes out. I don't think me being a dental nurse helps as I know what can happen with these things!

I hope your bun is feeling better soon, I hope the brush was worth it! They get into everything don't they!

Good luck for your bun :D

Medirabbit recommend Flagyl-S be given twice a day at the daily rate of 20mg per Kg of body weight.

Please check this out as it may vary from country to country, but on my packaging Flagyl-S (suspension) is 320mgs/5mls, equivalent to metronidazole 200mgs/5mls.

You do need to know the weight of your bunny to calculate the dosage and maybe ask your vet if you could split the dose in two.

Good luck with treating the abscess, it is usually fairly long term.

Back