• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eye infection?

LuckyClover

Young Bun
This morning I noticed the fur around my bunny's left eye was wet. Also there was a little bit of gooey white stuff coming out of his eye. :cry: I was about to take him to the vet, but there is only 1 vet that take rabbits that is here and it is closed on Sundays! :( Tomorrow I will take him in the morning... does anyone know what I should do in the meantime?

It could just be normal, if it's just happened now. If you clean the eye and it is ok afterwards then it is probably nothing. Or it could possibly be the start of an infection, I think, if it keeps running. Or if green or yellow liquid comes out then it could be infected. Or maybe something else, I don't know . . .

And I've read that some breeds are very prone to having runny eyes, lionheads anyway, probably dwarf rabbits too?

I think just clean around the eye with some cotton wool for now and then take him to vet tomorrow, would be best. Hope he is ok

This morning I noticed the fur around my bunny's left eye was wet. Also there was a little bit of gooey white stuff coming out of his eye. :cry: I was about to take him to the vet, but there is only 1 vet that take rabbits that is here and it is closed on Sundays! :( Tomorrow I will take him in the morning... does anyone know what I should do in the meantime?

It may be infection or possibly a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct)
Definately merits a Vet consult

Good luck :)

i went to the vets today... they said his eye was punctured. today when i woke up, his eye was glued shut and there was more white goo coming out. the vets gave me 2 gels to put on his eye- one is a pain killer to put on once a day, and the other is the medicine, i guess. i'm supposed to put on the medicine 3x a day in 8 hr intervals.

im going back in 2 days to make sure everything is going fine. at the vets they opened his eye and it was so disgusting! its all cloudy and kinda green. i feel bad and they said it was a pretty bad puncture and he will probably not regain his full sight out of his left eye. its kinda weird cuz it all happened in 1 day.

yes, his appetite seems to be fine, but he does seem kinda drowsy. Maybe its the medicine. I'm a little worried cuz the vets said if the medicine doesn't work, then his eye might shrivel up and right now it seems a little smaller than the normal eye. :( I do hope he will be okay. We call him Phantom because hes like the guy form phantom of the opera (1/2 normal, 1/2 ugly face). :lol: Tomorrow I hope the vets will say that the medicine is working properly and hes on the way to recovery.

Poor bun, how did he puncture it? Or is it just something that can happen on its own? Hope the vets news is good

Back