• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of starting a rabbit sanctuary.......?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Here's some food for thought :?

I just got the strength together to open my credit card bill which arrived yesterday, the vet bills on it came to approximately £1600 :shock: :lol:

Steve doesn't even earn anywhere near that amount a month, so if it wasn't for all the wonderful people on here that support us there is absolutely no way we could carry on doing what we do and help so many special bunnies :)

When we decided to give ourselves a name and "go public" with what we are doing over 2 years ago, we never in our wildest dreams thought that it could grow into something so big and so special :love:

So we just want to say a BIG thank you to everyone who donates to us however big or small the amount, it all makes a huge huge difference as there is no way we could do this on our own :D:D

:shock:

Liz, you and Steve do such an amazing job, I don't think I could ever have the courage to put myself through so much stress, you two really are wonderful and deserve much more recognition than you get; without you two, so many buns are much happier than they would have been before; you can't save everybun that needs your help, but those that you do save will always thank you for it.

:)

I think there are many people who have toyed with the idea of running a rescue without knowing all the emotional stress and financial constraints that go with it as well as the sheer hard work,and difficulties in times of illness.

When I saw the title I thought perhaps you had written a book giving advice on how to run a rescue.-sue:wave:

I think there are many people who have toyed with the idea of running a rescue without knowing all the emotional stress and financial constraints that go with it as well as the sheer hard work,and difficulties in times of illness.

When I saw the title I thought perhaps you had written a book giving advice on how to run a rescue.-sue:wave:

We gave it a lot of thought before we decided to "open" our sanctuary, probably around 18 months. We thought we had covered everything but now we know we severely underestimated the emotion and financial implications. I really don't think it is something you can anticipate, but more something you can only learn by actually doing it.

And if only I had time to write a book, it is all I can do to get the biscuits made :lol::lol:

Anyway the point of the thread was just to say thank you to everyone who helps us, I feel it is just as much your sanctuary as ours, because without all our lovely supporters there would be no sanctuary, at least not on the scale that we have now :D:D

I didn't mean you hadn't thought about it first, as I know you did, I was just thinking you could write a book on all the extra things you have learnt and get income from it..:) But true...when would you get the time-(and I've ordered biscuits too:lol::oops:).I think what you do is brilliant as many rescues wouldn't take on these types of rabbit.-sue:wave:

The kindest and most generous people are not those who give large sums out of their petty cash, but the ones who go short themselves so that they can give to others. Whether the others they give to are people or bunnies.

It's a tough old world out there, but it is people like you that make it better.

I didn't mean you hadn't thought about it first, as I know you did, I was just thinking you could write a book on all the extra things you have learnt and get income from it..:) But true...when would you get the time-(and I've ordered biscuits too:lol::oops:).I think what you do is brilliant as many rescues wouldn't take on these types of rabbit.-sue:wave:

I knew what you meant :wave: I was only adding that despite us actually giving it a lot of thought, when it came down to it we still didn't have a clue what we were doing :lol:

I still don't think we have a clue what we are doing because if we did we would probably stop doing it :lol::lol:

The kindest and most generous people are not those who give large sums out of their petty cash, but the ones who go short themselves so that they can give to others. Whether the others they give to are people or bunnies.

It's a tough old world out there, but it is people like you that make it better.

Thank you Gerry, that is very true, and we ( and Gideon) are grateful for all the support you have given us over the past year :wave:

ETA its not just about financial donations either, there are some lovely people who send lovely toys or practical things for our bunnies and those that spend time making things for our bunnies or for us to sell :love:

And I have also said this many times before, that with out the emotional support we get on here we really wouldn;t be able to cope :)

Last edited:
Like me, i'm sure people on here would love to help raise more for you but not sure how:?:( Sponsored walks/pub crawl/cake eating would be good:lol:

You and Steve really do a fantastic job and make these bunnies lives happy and less painful x

Michelle you have been mentioning a sponsored pub crawl for so long that I don't really think you want to do it for the bunnies at all, me thinks you just want an excuse to get a " little tipsy" :lol::lol:

1600 quid in one month :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

wouldnt even be the money that puts me off... i dont think my sanity could cope with a sanctuary.. i cant even cope with a stasis bunny :oops::oops:

Yep vet bills are always a shock..and that is a big one Liz!

Well done to you and Steve for the work you do
and just adding that I agree the support in all ways from people on here is sometimes all that keeps rescuers from throwing the towel in

Like me, i'm sure people on here would love to help raise more for you but not sure how:?:( Sponsored walks/pub crawl/cake eating would be good:lol:

You and Steve really do a fantastic job and make these bunnies lives happy and less painful x

Anyone wanna sponsor me to eat an entire black forest gateau? :lol:

:shock: I knew it was expensive to run a rescue but didn't realise it was THAT pricey.

I really admire you for what you do, you should be so proud of yourself :)

If I ever win the lottery the first thing I do is open a sanctuary and donate to a fair few as well. Don't think that'll be happening any time soon though ... :lol:

EEK and I was complaining at mine being £500 for this month :shock:

I really don't know how you do it Liz and Steve thank goodness for the pair of you that is all I can say.

May I take this opportunity to say there is an Easter fundraiser currently underway in the fundrasiing section for Rainbow Rabbits ;)

I think it was so high because it runs from the middle of january to the middle of February :? I know the actual total for January was around £1200. Haven't even looked at what February's is going to be, but we have have had a lot of x-rays taken and they are around £55 each so that is really going to add up :?

2 years ago I think our vet bills were around £300 to £400 a month so it just shows how things have grown and also how much sicker the rabbits are that arrive here:( The costs are also increasing with the higher "turn over" of rabbits that we are having. Even the bunnies that are with us a few weeks have £100's spent on them trying to diagnose their problems, only to find that they need to be pts :( Then a new one arrives and we do it all again.

I best get back in the kitchen and start making more bunny biscuits :lol::lol:

Back