• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yellow around the nose? :(

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I just had Edgar out on my knee whilst I groomed him and trimmed his names, and noticed that beneath each little nostril the fur looked slightly yellow? He has a white nose, so it was visible, though my mum is claiming she can barely see it. He has definitely not been sneezing. He definitely did not sound snuffly, even when trimming his claws which tends to make one of my other bunnies nearly hyperventilate, so I'd have thought the stress would have brought snuffly sounds on if they were there. And the inside of both front paws was not stained. Nor was his nose obviously running or damp.

My mum said maybe he'd been snuffling about in his own litter tray and stained it, or sticking his nose in his hay and aggravating it... But now I'm over-anxious! :(

Can bunnies have slight staining around their nose without a problem, or does he have snuffles or something? And if he does, I've got five other bunnies and how contagious would it be...?

Hi there, sorry do not really have much advise for you apart from try not to worry too much at this stage.
I would be inclined to say that your Mum MAY be right but I am not an expert.

I'm going to check it again tomorrow. :( And if it doesn't clear up or gets worse I shall scurry down to the vets with him. I was combing him and telling him how big and handsome and healthy he looks now (because he was a sickly little boy before I adopted him), and he stretched along my chest so we were nose to nose and I saw the faint yellow staining and freaked.

If you are worried then I always think a vet trip is a good idea. Even if it is nothing it will put your mind at rest.

I just had Edgar out on my knee whilst I groomed him and trimmed his names, and noticed that beneath each little nostril the fur looked slightly yellow? He has a white nose, so it was visible, though my mum is claiming she can barely see it. He has definitely not been sneezing. He definitely did not sound snuffly, even when trimming his claws which tends to make one of my other bunnies nearly hyperventilate, so I'd have thought the stress would have brought snuffly sounds on if they were there. And the inside of both front paws was not stained. Nor was his nose obviously running or damp.

My mum said maybe he'd been snuffling about in his own litter tray and stained it, or sticking his nose in his hay and aggravating it... But now I'm over-anxious! :(

Can bunnies have slight staining around their nose without a problem, or does he have snuffles or something? And if he does, I've got five other bunnies and how contagious would it be...?

Hi,my white bunny has a dirty nose from time to time with no other symptoms so i have come to the conclusion that its from where she has been sniffing around,I think you notice it because of the white :roll:

I had the same worries last week. Oz had sneezed a few times, and when I picked him up it was kind of damp under his nose, so I feared the worst! But then it cleared up, and he's been fine ever since. I thin sometimes they just sniff things they shouldn't, and get dirty, or get a bit of water up their noses, ect. I'd say just give it a couple of days and see how he is, and if theres anything else going on before you worry too much.

It seems to have pretty much vanished today! :? I was combing him again and peering at his nose and there is only the faintest trace of a yellow tinge on one side... He has a weird little nose anyway, it's all squished and is a bit scarred (he'd insist on poking his nose through mesh to poke at other bunnies at the animal sanctuary) so it is hard to see... But definitely not like yesterday. Not damp, wet or obviously running. No sneezing. I'm confused!

He's in a strop because I brought him indoors to check though. He HATES being indoors. He wouldn't stop thumping and glaring.

Back