• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trimming a lionhead?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Would anyone recommend doing this?

Leo hates being groomed and will wiggle and nip until you put him down. I can usually do his back fine but as soon as I come to round his bottom and underneath it's game over. He's constantly grooming himself though and I'm worried that he's actually digesting large amounts of his fur. He also always has a small bit of hay stuck to his botty area, which makes me worried that the occassional poo will be clinging on as well.

Has anyone done it? How much have you trimmed? Best way of doing it etc etc.

I wouldnt do it myself... did it once and Pickle ended up with cut skin and needing vet treatment :cry: He had to have his wound glued and then indoors for a few weeks whilst it healed separated from Pootle as she kept on licking the wound and it wouldnt heal... it was a nightmare.

I never forgive myself for what happened, so would always go to the vets for a proper trim in future.

me and my mum trim fuzzums fur, as it gets all in her eyes etc.
So we just cut it, not too short, just so that it doesnt go into her eyes.
as you can see in my signature, the front part, inbetween her eyes is where we trim it :oops: :lol:

Its ok to trim, but if your taking alot off i would wait till the warmer weather. :wave:

Ps, also make sure theres someone around to help you. someone to hold the bun still :wave:

Hi fellow lionhead lover!
All my buns are lionheads. I've never really had to trim any of them as I'm lucky and mine all love a good grooming off me. However I have cut out the odd matt when necessary and when Tilly had a watery eye I cut some of the fur away from her cheek as the tears were sticking to it and irritating her skin. However, Tilly would let me do anything to her (even put in eye drops) without me even having to pick her up, she'd just sit really still until I'd finished whatever I was doing. As Leo is abit skittish maybe get the vets to do it instead, just to avoid any injuires. I do think a bum trim would do him good if he has poo sticking to his fur there.
Happy hairdressing!

Back