PDA

View Full Version : do you ever wonder about their history?

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 11:08 AM
rescue buns......what kind of life have they had before they were in rescue and then found a home with you?

sat here watching esme, she's such an adorable, inquisitive little girl, i wonder what her life was like before. i know she's happy and safe now but it really bothers me what some buns may have had to endure:(

i shouldn't doubt myself but say if she was happier before?

angeleyes
28-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I do wonder as well, even when you are told what their life was like I sometimes imagine thats not the truth :?
I wonder about my kitty as well she has some funny quirks that I wonder if something had happened to her before that has made her like that :?
I am sure Esme is happier now with you x

sacol4940
28-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I always wonder about Rainbows life before. He was dumped on a doorstep :( He's always so scared of everything, such a wimp :( and it does make me sad to think that he's mistreated to the point where he's so sca:cry:red

kaths101
28-02-2010, 11:17 AM
yes I do wonder about Charlies, (had my other 2 from babies) I always hope im doing enough for him as I think he was very spoilt were he came from..

I have never seen so many toys and accessories for a bun :lol:

Im sure he is happy with me though as he does lots of binkies and Im hopefully getting him a girlfriend :D

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 11:21 AM
i don't feel so stupid now that i'm not the only one who ponders:oops:

angeleyes, i was reading about the 2 rew boys you have earlier and i was in tears thinking about the life (or lack of) they must have had.

i just hope that i am giving esme a life she loves and deserves. its just little things and reactions that make you wonder what on earth has gone on in the past:?

Bunny Buddy
28-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, think about it a lot.

Rudy is a real scardy too. He was about a year old when given up by his first home but already neutered and had been a house rabbit, I try to convince myself that he's just a wimp by nature. When he stayed at the vets a fortnight ago he buried himself under all the hay to hide away, he's such a flipping softy... but when he's confident of his surroundings he's really confident.

It breaks my heart to think of Tinks' early life, what I know of it.:cry::cry: She had a myxi jab and her claws trimmed by FHB during the week and before she got her out of the carrier I asked if she remembered her temperament, to which she said it was imprinted on her mind :oops: ... but during conversation about her said that it's us that make them as they are (as in early experiences) :cry::cry::cry: She's definitely so hard to handle because of the awful trauma of her early life... I take comfort in knowing how happy she is with Roo and myself, I just wish vets visits and any other issues such as grooming weren't such a trauma to her, she trusts me to a point but doesn't want to be handled at all.:cry::cry:

Phoebesmummy9
28-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Quite sadly, I know the full history of my 2 rescue buns
My poor Ella, :( She was orignally going to be snake food, then went to my niegbhours who treated her like **** :(:(:(
She wasnt a very trusting bunny, and would often attack when you went near the other rabbits and wouldnt let you pick her up or go near her to stroke her. She now quite often enjoys some snuggle time, does the biggest binky's youve ever seen, and is happy for me and my mum to go near the other rabbits without her attacking. Shes come a very very long way :love::love::love::love::love:
Also Fletcher was found as a baby dumped in a garden on a horrible day,but was thankfully rescued, sadly the lady who orignally adopted him, had another 2 rabbits and Fletcher was quite left out and she felt it very unfair on him, so my beutifle man decided here was his forever home and now has the comany of 3 gorgeous girl bunnys and a boy bunny (To even things up ;)) who dote on him
Im so proud of both my rescue bunnys as theyve both been through alot in there short lives, but it just makes me a very very proud bunny mummy cos i love my fletcher and ella lots :love::love::D:D:D

Bunny Buddy
28-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm getting the impression that everybody has the same gut feeling I have - I have a big responsibility to make a rescue rabbit happy to make up for anything that went on in the past ... I have to admit it is really rewarding to turn their lives around.:love::love:

Hugo's There
28-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I think sometimes it is best not to know. Some of the previous lives our sanctuary bunnies have had are truly horrific, but to dwell on it would send you over the edge. :cry:

Its much better to concentrate on the present and look to the future and make it as happy as possible for them, thats the most important thing :)

Loosy
28-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Ruby was a stray and I don't know how she came to be out on her own but sometimes I worry that she just got lost, and has another owner out there worried about her :(
And then sometimes I wonder whether she used to be a house rabbit, because she always seems so much more comfortable indoors, and I worry that I'm not giving her the life she's used to.

She's not obviously scarred by whatever her life was like before. She's not nervous and is quite friendly, although she's pretty moody most of the time XD She seems used to getting her own way...
I wish I could know for sure, though.

Lib_n_bunny
28-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I like to think they don't remember. I think obviously it can effect their behaviour, but for example in the respect that "I don't it when humans come near me, but I'm not quite sure why", which is why then when they learn that humans can be quite nice really, they learn to behave differently.

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 11:50 AM
loosy, i know what you mean ....'i wish i could know for sure' but i can see where liz is coming from - maybe its best not to know as we can't change the past regardless:? (especially seeing some of the horrors posted on here:cry:).

just my curiosity i suppose and wondering if she has a better life now. i suppose she wouldn't have been in rescue tho if she didn't need a new home:)

Hugo's There
28-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Look at it this way, even if they had a life of luxury before they came to you, for some reason they lost their original home so it is going to be so much better that they are now with you rather than spend the rest of their life in a rescue or being passed around by people who don't care about them or worse :)

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Look at it this way, even if they had a life of luxury before they came to you, for some reason they lost their original home so it is going to be so much better that they are now with you rather than spend the rest of their life in a rescue or being passed around by people who don't care about them or worse :)

even if she was adored, i don't think anyone could love the monty little moo as much as i do:love:

areia
28-02-2010, 04:20 PM
i do all the time biggles history is the only one i know fully,
i dont think my buns had too much of a terriable life, I think most of mine were just unwanted, all i know from doc was that he was agressive and bit children ( never once bitten me in agression, as is a soppy bun after being neutered )

frosty I wonder as i dont know much at all on her,
carrie i belive is just aggressive sometimes because its just her nature,
linus was kept in a plastic box for a hutch, he was the worse case i had and yet after a month of hiding in the corner you wouldnt of known he was a badly treated bun,
beth was part of an unwanted litter

bunlover
28-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I think sometimes it is best not to know. Some of the previous lives our sanctuary bunnies have had are truly horrific, but to dwell on it would send you over the edge. :cry:

Its much better to concentrate on the present and look to the future and make it as happy as possible for them, thats the most important thing :)

i qouite agree in comparison to some bunnies i suppose mine have had "ok" lives before coming to me as i have heard such horrific cases but i am lucky to know the background of all but 1 of my rabbits well the 1 i only know a tiny bit about
lucky:1st ever rabbit (now at bridge) left in cardboard box as "had wrong markings to show" then lady whos doorstep she was sumped on loved her but let her live under the shed in a burrow she had her first "home of her own" with us!

starskey: was kept in a hutch she couldnt turn aroudn in that was falling apart she escaped constantly (i would like to say she also was a houdini at our place in large home!!) and was given up as no longer wanted

chocolate and chelsea(originally thought to be male and female and fought al lthe time and kids bored and told they were unfreindly rabbits) were inseperable at rescue and both female loved being together,

dora and snowy: kept with monkeys fought with monkeys and kids no longer wanted them.

coco:abandoned in a flat by first owner and left for dead then second owner kept him well for a few years but in the end kept in a hutch over a year due to family circumstance(cancer and disabled child) manhandled by older son and fed when they could cleaned out once every week :(:( came to us aggressive now a snuggle bunny!

arthur: starved and fed potatoe peelings and bread

kitty : was loved but sadly given up into rescue as owner could no longer keep her we know least about her.

donnamt
28-02-2010, 05:16 PM
i dont wonder about thier past because Alvin was a baby and pearl was at hopper haven from a very young age too... but on days like today i wonder if they would of been happier if they had gone to someone else.. there is something about the envirorment that gives alvin stasis and perhaps had he ended up somewhere else he wouldnt actually be a stasis bun. and pearl maybe shed of been happier outside in a lovely big shed :?

thumps_
28-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I get too upset thinking of what has happened to so many animals, for long.

Thumper is a private rescue. Yes, he had some fear hang ups at the start. It was just a matter of gently, & slowly letting him learn that he was safe now & nothing frightening would happen to him here.

Poppymoon, I think that your bunnies are in bunny heaven on earth with you. You can see it by ear postion, body posture, the things they get up to. They are superbly cared for physically, & lead fulfilled lives with their different temperaments. We can't do better than that.

Mackers
28-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't really think about the bunnies too much because I know Pea and Pod went to Caroline at The Rabbit Residence when they were very young. Flora and Parsnip were born at the RSPCA in Norfolk and then had a loving home for 4 years until their owners emigrated. They had a bit of a dodgy home for 6 months or so before finally coming to me and their forever home.

But I DO wonder about the piggies. Both came from situations that were not great. Gubbins is very small for an adult male having been kept in a small and dark hutch and Beryl was almost half the weight of a healthy female because she'd been kept with a rabbit and clearly couldn't compete for the food. Even after they've been bathed and claws clipped here this afternoon :shock:, I'm sure they're still aware that it's like the Ritz here compared to where they've come from.

But (and at the risk of being shouted at) - to quote Cesar Millan - animals live for the moment, not in the past. They worry about the here and now - it's only humans who obsess about the past. So if your animals are living a great life NOW, that's all you need concern yourself with :D.

beki
28-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I wonder about Reggie, I got him from Kirkby and Celia didn't know much about him, he had only been there a just under a week when I took him. He is so shy and very timid, he likes being stroked but often runs off when you try and stroke him. I have to let him approach me for strokes. He gets scared when you pick him up. He has improved a lot since being bonded with ruby, he is quite inquisitive, but still very scared. He is showing a naughty side though but i think he has picked this up from her. He also snatches food out of ehr mouth the naughty bunny. I do wonder whether he was mistreated, or even left alone and ignored, being so timid. I don't think he had had much excercise before as he didn't seem to know what to do when put in a run. He now runs about but he likes to hide in dark places like under the bed. He also had really long claws which makes me think he hadn't been excercised much with his previous owners. I like to think he is happier now as he is finally binkying....and i have had him since october!

honeybunny
28-02-2010, 06:44 PM
It is sometimes harder when you don't know as your imagination runs riot :cry:
We had a doe called Marianne given in..who first the first day was so still ..then the next day started to scream if you put your hand anywhere near her..if she felt she could not get away she would attack..she panted and screamed and bit for weeks
I spent time just talking to her and gradually built up her confidence..the first time she put her head down for a noserub I cried:oops:
She is now a very confident cuddley bun who INSISTS she has a body massage every time I go near her:D

What had happened to make her so scared I can only guess at:cry:

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 08:30 PM
sorry if my pondering was rather thought provoking - hopefully it didn't stir up any tears for anyone:(

mackers - don't get me started on my piggies:shock: i'll run out of weepy tissues!

jill, i dread to think what had happened to marianne before she came to you:( dare i asked what became of her?

i would love to be in a situation where i could try to help animals to trust humans when they are finally given a chance at a better life.

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I get too upset thinking of what has happened to so many animals, for long.

Thumper is a private rescue. Yes, he had some fear hang ups at the start. It was just a matter of gently, & slowly letting him learn that he was safe now & nothing frightening would happen to him here.

Poppymoon, I think that your bunnies are in bunny heaven on earth with you. You can see it by ear postion, body posture, the things they get up to. They are superbly cared for physically, & lead fulfilled lives with their different temperaments. We can't do better than that.

really? i would be so pleased to believe that:)

honeybunny
28-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Marianne is still here..I don't think I could now let her go:oops:

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Marianne is still here..I don't think I could now let her go:oops:

thats lovely jill - i can understand why you couldn't part with her. to get her to want a nose rub.......amazing:D (if i search, will i find a pic of her?)

thumps_
28-02-2010, 09:54 PM
really? i would be so pleased to believe that:)

Yes I really do mean that, after following their story on here for ages.

I also know what it's like to doubt my own capabilities too. I've often thought that I'm not well enough to have a pet in terms of active enough to stimulate him, & worry about him being bored. But when I look at his ears, etc. he's a cheery little soul.

And my heart goes out to honeybun & marianne too. I had RSPCA cats who were similarly traunatised psychological wrecks & unsuited for rehoming. With understanding, love, patience, & time & they were the best companions imaginable. I think it must be much more difficult with bunnies though. Have a look at Capel's "Dave". I just want to cuddle him to pieces which is the last thing HE wants, so I wouldn't dream of it.

poppymoon
28-02-2010, 09:58 PM
i know - dave is a sweetheart:love: to be able to gain an animals trust after such a horrible start must be so fulfilling:)

Rachel89
28-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I know all Blues history and its perfect, well I hope hes happy with me atleast.
Honeys I know bits and bobs and shes so settled with us now.....shes still abit nervy because of her first few weeks :(
Bramble I think loves it here, he was in a hutch for 5months, not cleaned out or touched...just had food chucked in.....now he free ranges downstairs in our house and hes so happy.

I always here more about Honey with people I talk to that knew her "breeder" and its sad but she was lucky, the rspca and others told me about others he had and she got off so lightly.

I just focus on the good things now, otherwise I think sometimes you get so caught up by there pasts you never really forget even if they seem to of more then you....if that makes any sense :?:lol:

Sparkle x
28-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I often wonder, i really do, but then i think it would upset me and i am just glad i have them now and there happy.

Kermit
28-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I dont wonder as such what actually happened, i more wonder how people could leave my two wee darlings to get in such a state.

Herbie had been abandoned and his teeth had overgrown so much they were into his nose :cry: He had to get his front teeth taken out, although that never worked great and his bottom one needs burring now.

Then Inca, she had such bad urine scald all over her legs and even up her back that it looked like her tail had been burnt off. I now know that she is deformed and never had a tail in the first place, she still has sore woman bits, but nothing in comparison to what she had.

I just wonder who could let buns get to that state!

poppymoon
01-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I dont wonder as such what actually happened, i more wonder how people could leave my two wee darlings to get in such a state.

Herbie had been abandoned and his teeth had overgrown so much they were into his nose :cry: He had to get his front teeth taken out, although that never worked great and his bottom one needs burring now.

Then Inca, she had such bad urine scald all over her legs and even up her back that it looked like her tail had been burnt off. I now know that she is deformed and never had a tail in the first place, she still has sore woman bits, but nothing in comparison to what she had.

I just wonder who could let buns get to that state!

awful innit?:( some of the images and stories i see on here are gut-wrenching:cry:

Ted an Petal
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
i always wonder about theo's. he is disgusted when i touch him and if i go to pet his head he very quickly shy's away. i know he's happy tho as he just adores teddy and having a run about with me beside him.

mollyjoker
01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
rescue buns......what kind of life have they had before they were in rescue and then found a home with you?

sat here watching esme, she's such an adorable, inquisitive little girl, i wonder what her life was like before. i know she's happy and safe now but it really bothers me what some buns may have had to endure:(

I got Joker from a local rescue as i wanted a freind for Molly.My son and i saw him and knew we had to give him a better life.He was found abandoned at side of the road.At first he was really scared but after 6 months of lots of love and cuddles he is now very affectionate.And him and Molly have bonded very well.I can see he is very happy and trusts us.But i often wonder what he went through and it brings a tear to my eye.And as i keep posting bring on that lottery win and the biggest rabbit rescue ever .Great post Poppymoon ,it is great there are so many like minded people on this site love you all x

poppymoon
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks mollyjoker:wave:

i feel much better knowing that its not just me:D i couldn't imagine life without eric & esme:shock:

tigerangel
02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I do wonder about Sora & Smudge, as they were both found as strays (seperatly) and handed in to the animal home. I tend to wonder how they got there - if they were 'set free' by people moving away from the area/because they weren't fancy colourings, or if they were someone's beloved pet who managed to escape. I often ponder, if the latter, if there is someone out there who is still missing their pet bunny :( (...but still, they're my bunnies now and they're staying here :love::love::love: )

applebed
02-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Indie is still quite timid and can be aggressive at times. She's a lot more trusting now but still very jumpy. I sometimes wonder if it's due to her time at the bad breeder's.

BevBunny
02-03-2010, 11:47 PM

I agree. Lavender was from a rescue, and they told me she'd come into the rescue v tiny and thin, they made her better and rehomed her, then she was returned cos the new 'owner' said she was viscious. I got the impression they didn't really want to give her to me but she was the only bunny Charlie had taken to and they could see how unhappy Charlie was (he was recently bereaved) so they agreed.

I posted some pics of her on here, and someone contacted me to say they'd recently adopted her but when they got home, they'd put her straight into their male bunnies hutch and they'd had a big fight. They took her out and put her back the next day - suprise suprise more fighting. Apparently they continued for a few days before they gave up. I cried, I'm crying now thinking about how scared she must have been. She has since had two bunny friends, she was with Charlie for 5 years, and has been with Darwin now for 5 months. Not suprisingly bonding hasn't been easy but we've done it very gradually, and she (eventually) loves them. In a way I'm glad I know cos it made me more careful with her bonding, but in a way I wish I didn't know cos it makes me feel sorry for her. The thing is that cos of how difficult its been to bond her with Darwin I know that she hasn't forgotten it!

Becki xX
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I definately wonder about Dylan - I found her wandering around across the road from me. In the middle of the day, on a busy estate. Where had she come from? Was anyone missing her? How had she got to where she was? What had she lived like before....You get the message :lol: Something I'll never know, I guess. I got Rhia from P@H after she was in a huge fire there :cry: She is very headshy, and is only just letting me give her nose rubs after three years....Doesnt bode well for P@H :evil:

Angie65
03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I used to wonder about Alistair (NZ white bridge bun). I picked him up myself from the free ads & saw the 3 foot disgustingly dirty hutch he was in. It was Feb & the woman said he hadn't been out of the hutch since August. He was chewing his way out at one side & she got foxes in the garden & worried he would get taken. He was on shavings with no hay, & the shavings were clean on top only & about 6 inches thick, so obviously new was put on top of old.

When I got him - he crawled not walked & his overgrown nails cut his feet - & he had mites - & wasn't female!!

BUT he was sooo incredibly friendly - he just melted if you touched him & stroking took precedence over food:love: He had so obviously been loved once:cry:

The other one is Calel - what has happened to make him so angry?:cry:

I always thought Alfie's story was sad too - he was kept in the dark sleeping compartment of a hutch - breaking it down to mate with his partner every once in a while. Jill rescued him:D

Gemmapookie
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I do wonder about Mimi. I adopted her from a rabbit shelter where she'd been brought to by a lovely lady from a cat and dog shelter that regularly put down "difficult" bunnys :censored: Noone knows what her situation was before that but I'm thinking it wasn't good. Shes very wary of humans, doesnt like to be touched in anyway and also has a bald patch on the back of her neck which we assume is from a previous rabbit she lived with plucking out her fur. I've only had her for 6 weeks, and have already seen a big improvement, especially as she is now bonded with Timmy, is a free range bunny and I dont have to keep picking her up. I dont even want to think about what she went through to make her so nervous with humans, it makes me too sad coz I know that deep down shes a very loving bun. I'm hoping with time I can build up her trust and confidence.
Atleast with timmy i dont have to wonder. Ive had him since he was 2 months old when he left his mother, so I know he's always been a very loved, adored and spoilt little monster ;)

Biscuit's Mum!
05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I wonder about little Badger. He is still very shy and timid. It is so obvious that he loves attention, he responds but he is still very scared of hands. Poor little boy. :(

I am glad he is so happy here though :)

willowholly
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I often do.I wonder if Dill doesn't like being stroked much because of his injurys from another bun or because perhaps his human owners didn't show him any love.Who knows but something in his past has made him into an untrustworthy bun.B had confidence from the day we got her & has had so much love showered on her since she was 11weeks.She trusts us totally[unless I am trying to get her in her carrier!:lol:]Dill was only 10months when we got him so hopefully eventually he will come round.Hes come on alot in the year we have had him.The main thing is he is comfortable & trusting with B & thats got to be nice for him.

martlou
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I wonder about ours all the time. They are both BARC bunnies - Rosie was found as a stray in Blackpool. We've had her since May 09, she's still quite timid and will only accept strokes on her terms, but she races round and does amazing binkies, she's our little pirouetting princess :love: she's currently trying to destroy the settee by digging through it and has made several holes in the cushions :roll::lol:

Little Ted was ill treated, here is his story
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182928
He's so sad looking in those first pics :(. He's a really happy bunny now, roaming round the house, in fact he's just come back from noseying round the washing on the airers upstairs :love:. He's like a bunny Bart Simpson with his big furry legs, he races about doing little binkies then throws himself to the hearth with his ears flopping all over, and often rolls off, but he doesn't seem to mind:lol:

We just love them so much, and I hate thinking about what might have happened to them before, but I'm sure they must have happier lives now:love:

ostaragirl
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM

I find if you do this you tie yourself up in knots, lol