• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby bunny not eating much hay - normal?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I have an 8 week old mini lop, just got him yesterday. He is settling in well and eating his mix/drinking water fine. I have seen him nibbling his hay once or twice, but he's certainly not eating large amounts, is this normal for his age? When do they start tucking into bigger amounts of hay?

It could just be that he's still a bit nervous and settling in. If it's any consolation my Leo didn't eat properly for around four weeks and worried us all sick! :lol:

I thought you fed them more of the actual food (mix/pellets) when they are babies? I have read anything from two good helpings a day to unlimited is recommended? I have fed him morning and night and he is just about eating it all over the course of the day.

I will need to start a slow changeover to pellets once he is a bit more settled but just wondered whether people's young bunnies have eaten much hay?

Back