• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snuffles - next treatment? U/D back from vets

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
My poor little Rainbow has been sneezing for a few weeks now, and has had 2 lots of baytril (2 weeks worth each time). I thought the baytril had worked as he'd stopped sneezing but he started again yesterday and he's just had a sneezing fit and now has White discharge around his nose (he's not had it before) He's fine otherwise, eating and drinking fine too.

I'll be booking another vet appointment for as early as possible next week, but jus wondering what the next course of treatment would be? The last vet mentioned giving him an injection of something? A steroid I think?

Last edited:
I agree with Honeybunny Depocillin was used to treat Merlin's snuffles. Another thing you could try to help is a humidifier. I have one for Merlin which seems to help him when he is snuffly. Good luck at the vets.

My poor little Rainbow has been sneezing for a few weeks now, and has had 2 lots of baytril (2 weeks worth each time). I thought the baytril had worked as he'd stopped sneezing but he started again yesterday and he's just had a sneezing fit and now has White discharge around his nose (he's not had it before) He's fine otherwise, eating and drinking fine too.

I'll be booking another vet appointment for as early as possible next week, but jus wondering what the next course of treatment would be? The last vet mentioned giving him an injection of something? A steroid I think?

I def would not want a steroid used at this stage :?
Rabbits are extremely sensitive to the immunosuppressive effect of corticosteroids. So unless your Vet is certain that the problem is allergy and not bacterial infection a steroid might make things much worse.

What are the exact symptoms that Rainbow is experiencing?

What diagnostics has the Vet done ?

Is Rainbow a Dental Bun ?

How long was the course of Baytril and what dose was given?

I def would not want a steroid used at this stage :?
Rabbits are extremely sensitive to the immunosuppressive effect of corticosteroids. So unless your Vet is certain that the problem is allergy and not bacterial infection a steroid might make things much worse.

What are the exact symptoms that Rainbow is experiencing?

What diagnostics has the Vet done ?

Is Rainbow a Dental Bun ?

How long was the course of Baytril and what dose was given?

The vet did mention that he didn't want to give the steroid unless really necessary ( I think he was a locum because il
I've not seen him before, so I'll get an appointment with my normal vet in the next visit)

Symptoms wise, he's just sneezing and it's leaving a White discharge. When he was breathing last night, you could hear the discharge up
his nose becuase it was making a 'rattling' sound, if that makes sense?

He's had his chest listened to twice and teeth checked, and they're both fine, but apart from that nothing else has been done. The second (locum) vet that I saw said that these things can be difficult to shift and need alnger course of baytril and so prescribed another 2 weeks worth. He's had 0.3ml twice daily, he weighs about 1.6kgs. In all, he's has 2 x 2 weeks worth, with a gap in the middle. He seemed to get better after each course, but then the sneezing starts again :(

If the symptoms respond to Baytril then personally I'd want to stick with that but for longer than 2 weeks. I'd want to continue treatment for at least 7 days after the symptoms resolve. So for example if the symptoms have gone after 2 weeks on Baytril, I'd want to continue for another week making a total of 3 weeks.

You could ask the Vet about Rainbow having a mucolytic such as Bisolvon. This can help thin out the mucus secretions. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory, eg Metacam, would help reduce the soft tissue inflammation in his nasal passages.

Some Rabbits will tolerate a nebuliser and this is also something you could discuss with your Vet. Antibiotics can also be administered via a nebuliser.

Also, provided that the nasolacrimal duct is not blocked then an antibiotic eye preparation, eg Tiacil, could be administered. This should drain down the nasolacrimal duct and into the nasal passages to reach the seat of the infection.

Keeping Rainbow's environment as dust free as possible will help. If he's a House Rabbit then keeping the central heating down to a minimum and using humidifiers would also be useful as warm dry air (from central heating) will irritate a Bun's upper respiratory tract as Bun's are obligate nose breethers.

If symptoms return after the longer course of treatment with Baytril then I would discuss changing to another antibiotic. I would also want to consider a skull xray to check for tooth root elongation. Elongated tooth roots can cause Snuffles-type symptoms so if this were to be the case the problem would be a chronic one.

Last edited:
Good news is that there are lots of antibiotics your vet can try. I've had success in different rabbits with Ronaxan (Doxycycline), Tribrissen (Trimethoprim Sulphadiazine) and Depocillin

I agree with Jane, that bisolvin and an anti-inflammatory (such as metacam) will help if used in conjunction with the antibiotic

I took Rainbow to the vets this evening and the vet is baffled, as some of the symptoms he has lean towards an allergy whereas others lean towards a snuffle type problem.

The vet said that his nose is really red and his eyes are too. So he's going in next weds for skull x rays to check his teeth, and if nothing shows up on them then they'll take a swab from up his nose whilst he's still under.

The vet said I could take Jose in to keep him company, is this a good idea?

Oh bless him :( I would take Jose in yes :) Hes a very nervy bunny, so having Jose there may help him feel a bit safer. Poor lad. I hope they manage to sort out whats wrong :(

Ive sent the buns a little something in the post today, along with your birthday card ;) xXx

Oh bless him :( I would take Jose in yes :) Hes a very nervy bunny, so having Jose there may help him feel a bit safer. Poor lad. I hope they manage to sort out whats wrong :(

Ive sent the buns a little something in the post today, along with your birthday card ;) xXx

Aww thank you :D you didn't need to do that though silly

I think I will take Jose in with him then

Back