• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could our rabbit be annoyed with us?

Beliatilo

New Kit
My partner and I went on holiday for a week. While we were gone, a friend stayed at our house and because Dingo is a house rabbit, made sure he had exercise out of his cage every morning and was out every evening. I wrote out comprehensive instructions and have no doubt our friend was observant of them.

We got back this evening. All signs are that he's been very well cared for and my friend said he was very active and alert during our holiday, but he's acting differently with us - peeing outside of his cage, hiding, being sullen, and trembling a little.

I think he's stressed at the change in his circumstances. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you think he'll settle back into the pre-holiday routine?

yes bunnies do get the hump!! :lol:

Bribe him with a few treats etc and he will come round - he is just punishing you for going on holiday :lol:

Give it a few days and he will come round - if not - a check up at the vets might be in order - but im sure he will be fine!

This morning he was determined to carry on ignoring me but eventually the lure of nose rubbings was too strong. I think we're cool now!

Is he still trembling today? If so I'd get him checked over by a vet as this can be a sign of low temperature.
But like you suspect, he's probably just sulking with you for leaving him though and abit put out by the change of routine, cheeky monkey! x

Thanks - no trembling today. He's pretty much back to normal with us now. There was a great moment last night when I got him back in his cage and put my fingers through the bars to stroke his nose (which he usually loves). He turned round 180 degrees and sat not facing me!

My girl gets really huffy if I go away: she does the same thing as yours, deliberately ignoring me and stomping about the place. It doesn't matter to her that someone is popping in to care for her - all she knows is her favourite hoomin's away and she's not happy.
When we went on honeymoon for 10 days - the longest we were ever away- she was furious. She stomped and banged like a moody teenager and it took nearly a week before she would let me pet her.
Even offering raisins didn't work - they were snapped away with an accompanying growl. Towards the end of the week she was starting to give in and she'd deign to let me pet her but then she'd remember what I did to her and stomp away again!:)
Buns really can hold a grudge!

I feel so grateful I have Nermal now I've read this post! I've only been away for a long period once since I got Nermal. I went on holiday last summer for a week, and he went to stay with my friends (I had flatmates at the time who didn't have the time to look after him). They looked after him amazingly, he was spoilt rotten, but apparently he was very standoffish with them, and would actually leave a room if they both went in to see him! He had the run of their house, but would only interact for food, which actually isn't like him, he's very affectionate, and he knew them well from them being in my house, and was normally very friendly to them. They were a bit disappointed as they'd been looking forward to having a cute little bunny to play with for a week, but the second he was back at home with me he was all over me! He followed me about, tried to shin up my leg for cuddles, licked my face at every opportunity! I don't have holiday plans this summer yet, I think I'd feel too guilty........

Back