• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whoever invented rabbit anatomy/physiology was having a laugh!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Ok so rabbits have a really strange calcium up-take and processing physiology . . . which leads them to have kidney stones and sludgy bladder - which in turn leads to pain which leads to not eating - and guess what - their specific digestive physiology means that if they don't eat they get gut stassis which causes the whole system to implode as the stomach turns in on itself, becomes impacted and sucks water from the rest of the body and leads to dehydration and possible hepatic lipidosis which in turn leads to . . . at the very least more kidney and liver issues . .

So who on earth invented the bunnies physiology????

... and I bet none of us knew all that when we fell head over heels for the species, they are a relatively easy to care for child's pet, afterall... yeah, right. It's surprising any of them get to a decent age when you know of all the design faults :?

well if i ever meet the inventor i will punch HIM.. gotta be a bloke.. women dont make such mistakes :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think 'the inventor' was planning on people keeping them as pets and not feeding the diet that they were invented to process ;)

"The Inventor" is awesome! :D But i sometimes wonder what He was thinking when he made rabbits and horses!!! Don't want to disrespect the Big Man, but he seems to have stuffed all the possible gut/teeth/limb issues all together into just 2 species!! :lol::lol:

"The Inventor" is awesome! :D But i sometimes wonder what He was thinking when he made rabbits and horses!!! Don't want to disrespect the Big Man, but he seems to have stuffed all the possible gut/teeth/limb issues all together into just 2 species!! :lol::lol:

It's interesting though that rabbits and horses have a lot in common being rear-fermenters. But as bunny people we don't have to contend with about 30 different forms of colic and the dreaded laminitis.:)

This is very true :(

but ours have a seasonally changed diet of wild grass, brambles, dead nettle, groundsell, apple leaves and sticks, cow parsley, sow thistle, and endless endless very good and fresh hay! the pellets are minimal and low calcium type. ok so the sow thistle and parsley is high in calcium but in terms of mgs/kilo its low if fresh.

But I wasn't talking about your bunnies specifically I was talking about the domestication of bunnies in general :)

Years and years of breeding domesticated rabbits is going to have changed things compared to the rabbits that have lived all their lives in the wild rabbit population however well looked after they are in their present homes.

Back