• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes needed for my baby Malone post 16.

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
Does anybody know how to work out the doseage for Baytril? My other old bun has started showing signs of snuffles and i want to start him on the antibiotic straight away. God i'm so worried i've already lost 2 buns to this flippin illness. I can't loose my other elderly boy.:(

Last edited:
:wave: im not too sure but my bunnies recently been put on baytril shes around 2.6 kg and shes on 0.3 mls of it not sure if thats any help. maybe ring the vets for advice .

I'd ring the vet too to check they're happy for you to start treatment and confirm the doseage.

I've just rang the vets and hopefully they will see him tomorrow morning as the emergency vets won't assist without seeing him at a cost of £150. I have to ring up at 10am and get him in, i will change all his hutch out now and make sure he eats, drinks and poos while i'm around. God i hope he's going to be ok.:(

I agree with the others, baytril dosage does vary considerably depending on the condition being treated. IME snuffles usually needs a dose on the high end of the scale. I recently had a 2.8kg bun on 0.9mls twice per day.

I've just got back from the vets, he's had an injection of Baytril and i have to give him either 0.5 mls twice a day or 1.0ml once a day. I feel really bad as i think it's my fault and i should have known better.
I'm a terrible bunny mum.:cry:

If you've got a problem with snuffles in your rabbits (I don't think I saw your threads about your other rabbits, so I'm not sure what your situation is)...you might want to send a sample off to a lab to be cultured. A lady who uses my vets has a number of rabbits with snuffles, and it turned out to be Yersinia and another very uncommon bacteria (which I can't remember)...which is why it hadn't responded to normal treatments

Well on of my buns Bugsy, Malones brother had snuffles wich developed into chest infection and sadly i had to have him pts. Then lady my giant had pasturella in her blood wich caused abcesses to grow near her spine and hip. She lost the use of her back legs and after fighting for her i had to have her pts 3 days after Bugsy. The vet said that as long as the hutches were disinfected i could have another bun in them. So i cleaned and disinfected Bugsys hutch out twice and moved Malone into it as his hutch was going to collapse. That was 5 days ago, and now he's got snuffles.
Should i destroy the hutch and buy a new one or disinfect it again? Or shall i clean and disinfect it out then get a new one when he's better?
I feel awful i wish i never moved him now.:cry:

It may be that he already had the bacteria in his system, but the stress of the move brought it out.

I'd think the hutch would be okay if disinfected with a cleaner that kills everything (something like bleach or Jeyes fluid) and allowed to dry.

Probably not much point in moving Bugsy now, but I personally wouldn't use it again for another rabbit just in case.

Is the hutch outside? Maybe your buns would do better indoors away from draughts, in a new cage, just to be extra cautious.
Please dont blame yourself, you sound like a great bunny mum xxx

OMG i thought i'd just lost him.:cry::cry:.
He flopped out in the indoor hutch and just layed there starering into space. My heart just stopped, i can't loose him, i know he's old 9yrs but i can't face loosing another one. I've only just finished treating Freeda for snuffles and teeth problems. God it never rains but it pours.:cry:

Please could my baby Malone have some get well vibes

He's had his antibiotics and have very soft/runny poo and he keeps just flopping down. I'm so worried, so any vibes would be most welcome for my little bun.:(

Sending loads of vibes for Malone, would he be better indoors so you can monitor him better, if he's unwell he might not be able to maintain his body heat:(

Thanks everyone for your vibes, please keep them coming and i will update you all tomorrow. I hope he keeps fighting through the night.xx

Back