• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

Jims is coming to the end of a very heavy moult bless him, he was leaving baby Jimby's all over the floor!! :lol::love:

Cassie and Oakley, housebunnies, are moulting and look terrible, especially Oakley, despite brushing them with several different brushes. I'm finding their fur every where at the moment :lol:

Cheerio, foster bunny who lives outside doesn't look like he's moulting but is is difficult to tell with his lovely thick white coat.

My faith is moulting just now - there is white fur everywhere!

What's the best type of brush/comb to use for grooming?

Hiya,
I use a baby brush to brush my buns. It builds up abit of static and all the loose hairs stick to it. However if urs have long fur a metal spoked one is probably best.
Mine used to moult alot, so now I make sure my house is never above 15 degrees (bit annoying in winter when u want heating on and house cosy!) and now they only moult in spring. Buns do much better at slightly lower temps than us anyway, and can easily get dehydrated if too warm so is a good thing to do anyway.
While theyre moulting, make sure they're drinking plenty of water, eating lots of hay and give them a small chunk of fresh pineapple twice a week to keep their GI tract moving nicely and prevent hairballs.
Love to your scruffy buns :lol:

Belle is at the moment, she has a funny black line that is moving up her face gradually.
Amos isn't at the moment, when he does I need to vacum constantly..... don't know how much hair can come out of on rabbit.

sebby is but i think its just him getting rid of baby fluff rather than a sesonal moult :) im hoping it will stop soon me and mum are allergic to it :eek:

Yes! Joe (housebun) moults about twice a year, in fact he's just coming to the end of a massive one which mainly happened while he was in the animal hospital, honestly, every time you went near him big clouds of fur would waft up :oops: (very annoying when it sticks to your lipstick lol) and he looked a right scruffbag too, in fact he's got a sort of two tone look about him at the mo, with two shades of black and some gingery bits coming through.

Back