• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help choking

bunniemum

Mama Doe
Any ideas of what to do, I've run out. Been to the emergency vet, there's no visable obstruction, but since coming back he's just started reching again, and is just sitting there :(

this sounds very serious can you see a blockage or is it mouth breathing eiether is not good you need to take back to a different vet, xsorry i cant help more x

Larry has been doing this and the vets couldn't find anything wrong either :?

Its good that there is no obvious obstruction, it may related to a respiratory infection so if it continues I would definately get him seen again.

How is he in himself, is he lively and eating? Obviously if he starts having difficulty breathing then he needs to go back asap but if he is OK in himself and gets no worse I would look for a good rabbit savvy vet first thing monday

Vet couldn't find any blockage and he's not mouth breathing. Other vet doesn't open til 2pm and my trusted vet doesn't work there anymore.

He was wolfing down his breakfast when it happened. Initally choking and bringing up saliva and bits of food, but he seemed to settle after awhile so I took him to vet to be on safe side and check out if there was anything I couldn't see. But since coming back he's hasn't calmed down is panting and holding his head up more than before.

Where about in East London are you, If you are looking for a good vet, might be a bit far for you (Upminster) but my vet is very rabbit savvy and takes referrals from London/Essex, they also open Saturday and Sunday.

If he initially choked on his food and had lots of saliva he may now have fluid on his lungs :( This definately needs treatment straight away, I hope you find a good vet who can help him

Thanks, I'm in Chingford. Relunctant to go too far as the journey may stress him him either further. But can you pm me their detail anyway

He checked his lungs and said they were ok :(

Hmmm, maybe it can take a while for the fluid to build :? I've been lucky I had one choking episode like that in the past and the bunny was fine afterwards so I don't know how long it could take.

Its hard to know what to do for the best as like you say another vet trip so soon could make matters worse. It might be best to wait a few hours to see if he calms down and the situation improves, but then again you don't want to leave a potential problem to get worse :(

I am sure you know your bunny best and will know the best thing to do, maybe look for another vet and give them a call so they are aware of the situation if you need to get him ther in a hurry

Thats good news, I hope he keeps heading in the right direction :D

Why do they always decide to stress us the most at weekends :roll::lol:

Bit random... but are there any slugs about?. Our Molly was the same turns out she was licking a slug:shock:.
I hope your little one is ok.

Sorry to hear about your bun choking. Something very similar happened to my bun a few months back. She partially obstructed her throat and aspirated either some saliva or a piece of food. There was no visible obstruction either but she was doing this 'head cocking' and wheeze when she did it - and the head cocking did look a bit like retching as you describe. It also happened immediately after eating as she had been running around with food in her mouth. Whilst checking her myself after it happened and tipping her upside down whatever it was did shift and she stopped head cocking after this. She received a precautionary course of very strong 'kill everything' antibiotics by injection for 5 days just in case she had aspirated something into her airways. The wheezing faded day by day and within a few days it was completely gone.
Even if your bun aspirated nothing more than saliva there is still the possibility of bacteria in the lower respiratory tract that could cause an infection so I do think that he may need a course of antibiotics just in case. Our vet used engemycin due to the potential seriousness of an aspiration pneumonia.

I also wonder whether or not your bun scratched his throat as he was eating/choking - this could cause him to feel as if he does have something stuck in his throat even if he doesn't any more, it may have caused a little inflammation or irritation that will settle in time. Perhaps some metacam would be helpful too for the first day or so - need to ask vet - to reduce any inflammation and keep his stress down or any pain/discomfort.
Keeping him calm will be very important. I hope he feels better soon.

Sorry to hear about your bun choking. Something very similar happened to my bun a few months back. She partially obstructed her throat and aspirated either some saliva or a piece of food. There was no visible obstruction either but she was doing this 'head cocking' and wheeze when she did it - and the head cocking did look a bit like retching as you describe. It also happened immediately after eating as she had been running around with food in her mouth. Whilst checking her myself after it happened and tipping her upside down whatever it was did shift and she stopped head cocking after this. She received a precautionary course of very strong 'kill everything' antibiotics by injection for 5 days just in case she had aspirated something into her airways. The wheezing faded day by day and within a few days it was completely gone.
Even if your bun aspirated nothing more than saliva there is still the possibility of bacteria in the lower respiratory tract that could cause an infection so I do think that he may need a course of antibiotics just in case. Our vet used engemycin due to the potential seriousness of an aspiration pneumonia.

Yes this is what's happened.

Feeding has become a bit of a circus lately, Minnie can't bare him running around getting excited, and I suppose due to the time of year (even though she's speyed) she keeps trying to mount him to calm him down and his reaction to this is to wolf everything furiously. I had been separating them, but today didn't as they seemed ok to begin with.

Anyway just been to my regular practise for more of a check and he's had some metacam, baytril & metoclopramide injects. So, dare I say he seems more settled for now at least.

Many thanks

Feeding has become a bit of a circus lately, Minnie can't bare him running around getting excited, and I suppose due to the time of year (even though she's speyed) she keeps trying to mount him to calm him down and his reaction to this is to wolf everything furiously. I had been separating them, but today didn't as they seemed ok to begin with.

Anyway just been to my regular practise for more of a check and he's had some metacam, baytril & metoclopramide injects. So, dare I say he seems more settled for now at least.

Many thanks

That's reassuring, I hope he continues to feel better. Keep a close eye on his breathing and eating, especially his breathing. If you hear any wheezing I dare say you might need something stronger than baytril to prevent anything serious occuring, baytril just won't be strong enough for lower respiratory infections, but just see how he goes. Might be worth feeding separately or using two plates/bowls opposite ends of the room, we use two litter trays as one of our buns bullies the other a little over food, with two trays there are no probs. Good luck, hope he recovers soon. :)

Many thanks

Glad he is feeling a bit more comfortable :)

that sounds a little like what happened to sooty when he choked on a naturals carrot pellet. In that case you could see his lungs were filling up with water. We were at the emergency vets within minutes and they administered steroids. We then put him on baytril after a few days as his lungs were still quite wet but it was definately a very shocking experience.

Our very elderly bun Sweet Pea had this in his last few months - his was caused by the tight sphincter muscles (that prevent a bun from vomiting) becoming relaxed and not working properly - so food was coming back up. Is your bun elderly at all -? Is it really retching or coughing?

Back