• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of breeding?

What do you think about breeding?

• Breeding is never ok

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Breeding is ok under special circumstances (preservation of a dying breed)

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Breeding is ok when done safely (full genetic history known, etc)

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Breeding is never ok

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don't know

• Other

• Total voters

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I would love the people of RU to have a real discussion about breeding. Also, I would like to see where the majority of us stand in regards to the topic.

And another question on the table: If someone comes on to RU asking for breeding advice, and they are adamant about doing it, is it better to educate them on safe ways to breed bunnies or to continue to discourage the practice?

Please please please keep this civil. We are all adults with real opinions and there is no reason this should get ugly. I really want a true discussion on the topic.

Last edited:
IMO, the only breeding that is ok is if is carefully controlled, good homes found for the kits before the litter is due, does not used as breeding machines, not forced to have too many litters and then retired and rehomed and spayed and bonded.

You don't have a "breeding is just ok" option! :lol::lol::lol:

logic says if breeding is "never ok" we would eventually run out of bunnies. I dont mind there being different breeds, but detrimental traits should be bred out of them. It should also be licenced and controlled.

logic says if breeding is "never ok" we would eventually run out of bunnies. I dont mind there being different breeds, but detrimental traits should be bred out of them. It should also be licenced and controlled.

Agreed :thumb:

Oops! :oops: The first one should be "breeding is always ok".

Is there a way to edit a poll once it is made? :?

(Also, I agree with you completely. It should be licensed and controlled to ensure that it is done safely.)

I wouldn't do it myself as I'd worry about my own bunnies health and where I'd home the babies. But I can see why people would enjoy breeding. I think it's ok so long as it's done sensibly and only if good homes can be found for the babies. Breeding for the pet shop trade is a big NO in my book.

I think if someone comes to RU asking for advice about breeding, they should be given it, although suggesting it might be favourable not to politely would be good. I've seen a lot of threads where members seem to gang up on the breeder and tell them it's a terrible idea and they're stupid for considering it... They'll just leave the site and go and do it anyway, without much knowledge and they'll feel they can't come back for help if anything does go wrong.

i voted other.. im not sure if any of the other answers suit what i think

i dont think i will ever be anti-breeding its inbreeding i have real issues with :evil::evil:

if animals are given the proper respect, care and love and not made to breed with a family memeber and ofcourse not made into baby factories then i tend not to be too bothered when i hear about breeding animals.. and i do love baby animal pics too :love::love::love:

now my views on human breeding well thats for a different thread ;):lol::lol:

As long as people it the right way as mentioned above, its just sad that there are a lot of people who do it the wrong way.:cry:

Oops! :oops: The first one should be "breeding is always ok".

Is there a way to edit a poll once it is made? :?

(Also, I agree with you completely. It should be licensed and controlled to ensure that it is done safely.)

I just voted never ok so if you change it please don't let my name be up for 'breeding is always ok' :shock: :lol:

I'd never thought about it before. Never considered whether it was good or bad but since joining this site my eyes have been opened. I generally think it's not a good idea because of all the problems that it can cause and hearing actual living brething beings refered to as 'stock' upsets me beyond belief.

I selected the "ok if preserving a breed" option because in this instance i guess that the breeder would be knowledgable about the whole process.

And people really do it with money in mind???? Sickos!!

logic says if breeding is "never ok" we would eventually run out of bunnies.

I don't really have a problem with this.

Hypothetically, if all breeding could be outlawed tomorrow and everyone wanting the joys of rabbit ownership went to a rescue and was properly vetted, then over time all the remaining bunnies would end up in good homes and be well cared for.

Given that rabbits are the most neglected of pets (from that RSPCA report posted on here a while back) I would rather forgo the pleasure of having bunnies in the knowledge that there weren't hundreds of thousands of them living in miserable conditions.

**reaches for most unpopular person on RU today hat**

Breeding masses of bunnies for the pet trade is incredibly selfish. However if someone is breeding a specific breed of bunny and doing it to improve aspects such temperament and propensity to dental problems etc then I'm okay with it. I admit to admiring certain breeds and would love to own some of them one day but would never go to a breeder for a bunny, however good that breeder was. (Not that I'm criticising anyone else for making that choice).

You just need to see Brindle's litter to see how many cute babies there are out there without deliberately bringing more into the world. I love baby bunnies but if (when:oops:) I get another one it will be from a rescue :D

now my views on human breeding well thats for a different thread ;):lol::lol:

:thumb: Whiskers and paws every time :D :lol::lol:

I voted ok for special circumstances. I'm originally from Lincolnshire, a major farming county, and used to go to the Lincolnshire show. I find the regional breeds of cattle fascinating, and think these should definitely be preserved.

However, when the breed makes the animals life difficult, eg short nose making it difficult to breathe, I don't think it should be kept going.

How about this:

Breeding is ok when done safely (full genetic history known, etc) BUT subject to licensing and control. With the provisos that licences to breed would only be issued when the number of rabbits in rescues have dropped below a certain level and that any rabbits bred had to be neutered/spayed before they could be sold/transferred.

Somewhat draconian but could do the job. Without the endless stream of new rabbits being supplied (of which some inevitably get abandoned) the ones in rescues would eventually be adopted because people's existing rabbits would eventually die of old age and they might adopt others from rescues to replace them. I am sure that the rabbit rescues must be one of the few businesses that would measure their success by putting themselves out of the rescue business and becoming rabbit care educators instead.

In my opinion, with 33,000 unwanted rabbits and the rescues apparently permanently at bursting point, we need to reduce the production end of the process to ease the stress. Left to their own devices, rabbits are just too good at what they are famous for - producing more rabbits.

Every rabbit bred should be a wanted rabbit who will be cared for for life, not a future problem to be disposed of when people lose interest. There will inevitably be changes in circumstances so that some rabbits need rescues but the number of these should be massively reduced.

Back