• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At our wits end!!

lja401

Warren Scout
Please help.

We have a lovely house bunny Noel. He is 8 months old and he is a dwarf lop. We have had him for 9 weeks. He is a real character - always active, never sits down. He always runs around and never sits still.

He has always chewed the odd thing but since Monday he has been chewing EVERYTHING non-stop. He has plenty of toys and even does it when we're sat with him. We do not know what to do. He is wrecking our house. He chews carpet, the sofa, the dining furniture. I just don't know what to do.

He used to be great when we were watching tv, he'd jump on sofa with us and scramble across us and he'd binky and run like mad across the floor.Now he chews and digs all the time!!! He still binkys :)

When he does it we have tried clapping our hands, shouting no, picking him up and removing him from the place but nothing works.

He was neutered 5 weeks ago. It has made no difference. The last few days he has got worse.

Any ideas? x

Last edited:
Is he neutered? If he isn't, please get him neutered and bond him with a neutered female bunny. It may be that a combination of hormones/boredom makes him so destractive.
ETA Just seen that he's neutered.:oops:

Does he have constant access to good quality hay? Chewing is an instinct thing and it may be that he is looking for things to chew to keep his teeth trim if he does not have enough hay.

Yup, access to hay all day long. Perhaps we need to get him a friend. I just don't know what we can do.

My Dillan used to be really naughty. He still is to less an extent. He's definitely improved in the last couple of months. He was neutered at 6 months old and thats when he got naughty. I guess he didnt have the raging hormones which made him want to hump everything (mainly me).
I've recently tried to include more veg and fresh herbs and less pellets in his diet. He seems a lot happier. Its possible he has more energy now he has been neutered and is burning it by destroying the house.
What is is his diet like? and how much to you cuddle and interact with him daily?
Helen xx

ive got a carpet chewer spare carpet tiles and fresh willow branches deter my boy at the mo,

I do have NIC grid squares set up around units and bookselves as a precaution,

We spend 30 mins in morning with him before we go to work. Then he has my bf's mum come to let him out for an hour at lunch time and then we get in from work at 5 and he is let out and we put him back in about 10.30-11. He isn't one for cuddles. He comes up to us and headbutts and we stroke him but he stays for about 2 seconds.

Diet wise - he has an egg cup ful of science selevtive pellets, a couple of brussel sprouts and unlimited hay all day. x

What does he live in most of the time? Do you have any pics? I think you need to give hiim more time to settle down (hormone) wise and also he needs you to spend a bit more time sitting with him at his level and hand feeding a variety of greens, spring greens are good value and fresh should last a week nearly and would make an alternative to sprouts or if you can afford it get him some herbs like basil and dill. Does he have a treat ball?

He has a cage that he has to be in during the day when we're at work and then he is always let out whenever we're home and he can come into kitchen, lounge, dining room. I do have pics but I have no idea how to upload them.

Here's the info on how to post photos: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136183

I'm wondering if Noel is really bored being in his cage all day and then goes a bit mad on the furniture when he's out to use up all his energy? Could you add a run area to his cage to give him more space during the day?

I agree that getting him a spayed girlfriend would be good :) He'll be a lot less bored with a friend and may spend less time on destructabun missions!

As a side point, brussels can cause gas/tummy problems so are best fed sparingly. Introducing a variety of veg would also keep him entertained :)

If he was only neutered 5 weeks ago, his hormones may still be settling, and he might need a little more time to adjust.

Also, I would not only stop him from chewing things he shouldn't chew, but encourage him to chew things he should! Milo used to chew a lot, and every time he did, I presented him with an acceptable item after moving him away from the unacceptable item. (Wooden carrot thing, a stick, cardboard, etc...)

That helped some, but it was really just a little more time that he needed. Also, giving him lots of run around time and things to play with. :)

Bobby used to do this, untill she was given more space whilst we were out at work, she has more toys now and only really "pretends" she is going to chew something to get me out of my chair:lol:

What activities does he have to do? Whilst people like to watch TV, rabbits favourite activities are chewing, digging and eating :) What he's doing is normal rabbit behaviour and like sidereus7 said :thumb: you can't stop it, you need to redirect it.

Give him at least one activity to do every evening and not the same one each day. It can be toys to rearrange, boxes to chew, hold a stick for him to eat, provide a box with digging material in etc.

He's finding his own fun so you need to provide something more fun so he doesn't have time to chew.

Great ideas here. My bun is the same - the only time he stops chewing is when we are fussing/cuddling him! He'd like that 24/7 tho!!! :lol:

how about attatchign a puppy pen to his cage to allow him some extra space when you are out? give him tunnels and a dig box maybe some shredded paper in a cardboard box is also a good chew distraction cardboard tubes with food inside he has to owrk out how to get it out, a kabob or similart home made version a freind is a definate i would say and also maybe try giving him a treat ball to feed him rather than a bowl of food it keeps mine interested and active for longer!!! also maybe having other things to play hide in a jingly ball etc? x

Back