• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friendliest Rabbits

wally4eva

Mama Doe
I was just wondering, from personal expercience what type of rabbits have people found most friendly and what type of rabbits have people found least friendly?

Thought it would be interesting to find out :)

Last edited:
onlllllllllllly going from personal expeirence, male dutchies and red eyed whites, but have met many breeds either breifly or fostered for a time that all have differant personalities no matter what breed,

learnt very quickly, they are alllll very intelligent when it comes to food and getting it :lol:

We run a boarding business and have lots of different breeds through during the year, I dont think we've found any breed to be particularly friendlier than others. We have had lops, mixed breed and a lionhead ourselves and they have all been friendly buns. Some have had more attitude than others but still been friendly, I think it is just their individual personalities.

onlllllllllllly going from personal expeirence, male dutchies and red eyed whites, but have met many breeds either breifly or fostered for a time that all have differant personalities no matter what breed,

learnt very quickly, they are alllll very intelligent when it comes to food and getting it :lol:

:lol:
Yes, I worked out that to, food flicks a switch for all bunnies :p

I have fostered lots of different breeds of rabbit and they are all have their own personalities. But the friendlest one I have ever fostered is a mini rex, who will be going to his new home on Sunday :(

I had 2 dwarf lops initially, one was a bit grumpy the other was soppy on the ground, but not overly snuggly. Then I had an angora type incredibly long fur, she was ok with me, wanted nose rubs and stuff, but didnt like people in her territory and would bite dads ankles on a regular basis. Then I had another dwarf lop (ok I love them) and he again was great with me, not so great with others. My current bunny is apparently dwarf x mini lop ( I think he's just dwarf, ish), possibly the most soppy friendly rabbit Ive ever known. He not only runs up to you for nose rubs all the time he actually enjoys cuddling up on your lap or in your arms. He is happy just snuggling up with me wherever, never scratches or jumps when you pick up and put down. Im never going to find another bun quite like him, he's certainly very special. Poor thing, had to clean his bottom the other day after he randomly had sticky poo bum and he just lay in my arms whilst I did it, no fidgeting and when I put him back up the right way, he just wanted to snuggle.

My dutch boy and my mums are two of the friendliest I have ever met:D

I think a lot of it isn't so much the breed of rabbit but, how much it is interacted with from a baby, I also think consistency in their lives is obviously important. If you have any breed from a kit and it learns from you and understands things 'your way' so to speak doesn't necessarily make it more intelligent that another rabbit that has just been left sat in a hutch most of the time on it's own. Although saying that, I have an English crossed lop and she is sooooo switched on, to the point of coming when called on day 2 of having her here. She is really clever. Females I think are possibly a bit more switched on :lol:

I have fostered lots of different breeds of rabbit and they are all have their own personalities. But the friendlest one I have ever fostered is a mini rex, who will be going to his new home on Sunday :(

Aww, thats a shame :(
Hope he has a good time at his new home, but I bet he will miss you.

I think a lot of it isn't so much the breed of rabbit but, how much it is interacted with from a baby, I also think consistency in their lives is obviously important. If you have any breed from a kit and it learns from you and understands things 'your way' so to speak doesn't necessarily make it more intelligent that another rabbit that has just been left sat in a hutch most of the time on it's own. Although saying that, I have an English crossed lop and she is sooooo switched on, to the point of coming when called on day 2 of having her here. She is really clever. Females I think are possibly a bit more switched on :lol:

Yes. With my two rabbits I found they were not that friendly but I think that was because they hadnt been handled when they were little because they came from RSPCA from someone who had to many rabbits to look after. So they probably wouldnt have been held every day from a young age. But I found that the female was a bit more friendly than the male.

Last edited:
I had 2 dwarf lops initially, one was a bit grumpy the other was soppy on the ground, but not overly snuggly. Then I had an angora type incredibly long fur, she was ok with me, wanted nose rubs and stuff, but didnt like people in her territory and would bite dads ankles on a regular basis. Then I had another dwarf lop (ok I love them) and he again was great with me, not so great with others. My current bunny is apparently dwarf x mini lop ( I think he's just dwarf, ish), possibly the most soppy friendly rabbit Ive ever known. He not only runs up to you for nose rubs all the time he actually enjoys cuddling up on your lap or in your arms. He is happy just snuggling up with me wherever, never scratches or jumps when you pick up and put down. Im never going to find another bun quite like him, he's certainly very special. Poor thing, had to clean his bottom the other day after he randomly had sticky poo bum and he just lay in my arms whilst I did it, no fidgeting and when I put him back up the right way, he just wanted to snuggle.

Aww, that would be great to have a bunny like that. My rabbit is a little grumpy man!!

webbkath - Cool :)

I agree my Dutch boy is very friendly (possibly the frienliest bun I have known) even though I havent had him long..

Sooty is also very friendly and will come when called so I can back up Vickys claim that females are more switched on!! :D

Oreo just doesnt sit still for long enough to be friendly he is so skittish!!

I think it depends what we perceive as friendly. You can have a very friendly rabbit who is curious about everything you do, but doesn't want to snuggle with you - then you can have a very snuggly rabbit who is not at all curious and generally quite timid.

I definately agree with this!

well Tinkerbell is a continental giant x french lop, and she loves being cuddled while on her back and being rocked like a baby.. i'd say that's fairly friendly :roll::lol:

Back