• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help my bunny

annie78art

Banned
Bob is 11years now. Hes a dutch rabbit had him since he was a wee wee thing must have been about 6weeks. Hes had his eyes washed out and teeth done in the last year. Hes wetting his behind now and poo is getting stuck to him. On sunday I noticed his fur was coming out and now hes got a bald patch. I am not sure if this is cos his back end is going. After his opperations he always seems so full of life. I was thinking this may be due to the pain relief in the meds. Does anyone know where, what I can give him? I know hes old but hes eatting and drinking and seems happy when he sees me. So if I can just keep him pain free in his last days that would make me happy.:(

Bob would benefit from seeing a vet, there is nothing we can advise than would beat a vets opinion im afraid.

It is likely he is suffering from maybe arthritus, so isnt cleaning himself as well as he used to, because hes stiff. the vet would perscribe him longterm pain relief so cleaning isnt painful anymore, if this is what is infact wrong.

If he is 11 that is a very good age, but you could find he springs back into life if it is arthritus. we had a boarder (i run bunny boarding) with the same issue and they didnt know what it was, they took her to the vets and she now has a little metacam a day so its not so sore, and she cleans herself fine now.

xxx

Bob would benefit from seeing a vet, there is nothing we can advise than would beat a vets opinion im afraid.

It is likely he is suffering from maybe arthritus, so isnt cleaning himself as well as he used to, because hes stiff. the vet would perscribe him longterm pain relief so cleaning isnt painful anymore, if this is what is infact wrong.

If he is 11 that is a very good age, but you could find he springs back into life if it is arthritus. we had a boarder (i run bunny boarding) with the same issue and they didnt know what it was, they took her to the vets and she now has a little metacam a day so its not so sore, and she cleans herself fine now.

xxx

Hes not to bad had a runny bum had to wipe him on a couple of occations. Its starting to harden now. I have been giving him dried grass so that may be whats done it. After his meds on saturday on sunday he was sky high. His eyes half closed and not responding to me he was just sitting there. I cried my eyes out and felt really ill myself. I phoned the vet and he told me to stop the meds. I just rang my piggy shelter she helped me as much as she could. She said she dont know much about rabbits but the meds sound way to high for a rabbit whos ony 1kg 3oz.
Here is the confusing meds I was given. Its usually in ml or drops not kg.][/url]
I just feed him 20ml of rabbit excel pellets in a suringe hes eatting well nibbling on things but not eatting loads really. He was 1kg 3oz on january 3rd and is still the same. His teeth are pointed a bit and will need doing soon. So its important to get his weight up so he can have yet another opperation. Hes living in the house now and enjoying the run around and aggravating the dog.

The labelling on the drugs is really poor and misleading - it actually says to give the equivalent dose of a 5kg animal. I would call the vet and check exactly how many ml each dose should be. Your bun may well have been high from an overdose, but just once wont do him much harm.

Back