• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, rabbits in vets getting neutured now...

zoe6660

Warren Scout
okay the bunnies are at the vets now getting done :D been there since 8.30am and now im going to set the playpen in my room and put one at one side of the room and the other at the other side in the coners and they will be blocked off so no contact im going to put newspaper down and a towel on the flooor.

okay now this is where i need help can i put them back outside in they hutches 2morrow morning?

also what should i do they hutches like is it okay to put shawdush bacvk in there or not?

and if not when is it okay to use shawdush?

and when will they bits heal?

and when can they go back out in garden to run around?

i never done this before i want to ask now and ill tal to the vet when i collect them later. thanks

Sending vibes for the bunnies, hope their operations have gone well :)

Ok, so definitely you need to keep them inside where it's warm for at least 24 hours after they've had an anaesthetic, and maybe an extra day or two longer so you can keep an eye on them.

Make sure to ask for some pain relief for them for tomorrow (usually metacam). This is usually needed for does as it is quite a major operation and they will almost certainly be in some discomfort once the pain killers administered by the vet have worn off.

Make sure you have food to tempt the bunnies to eat (favourite herbs, veg etc and of course plenty of hay) but don't worry too much if they are not eating straighaway. Does in particular often do not eat until the next morning after a spay.

I wouldn't recommend using sawdust at all (it can cause respiratory problems) and certainly not while the bunnies are healing.

You need to give them limited space (again, particularly for does) while they're healing - you don't want any ripped stitches. At least a few days.

Hope that helps :)

okay they are males getting done, and i just poped down to check they still a little sleepy :D

what do i put in the hutch insted?

As they're both boys they should be back to normal more quickly :D

My bunnies are house rabbits, so I don't have a hutch, but I think most people use hay and straw in their outside hutches rather than sawdust :)

yeah they both males my fiance sed i can keep them in the room for 1-3 days :) so ill do that if its better for them and then i can pop them back out the problem is they soo use to the cold weather they fur is thick.

would they be okay to go back out in 2days?

best bet is to turn your heating down in your bedroom if you can, just explain to your OH its only for a few days :)

best bet is to turn your heating down in your bedroom if you can, just explain to your OH its only for a few days :)

what i will do its open the window too coz i got chinchillas and they cont be too warm.

im excited to see them mre than anything coz i have missed them both bad today.

im going to get ready to go and collect my boys im sooo excited to see them i cant wait :D bye please post as much help and what to use in the hutch coz i will be coming back on soon coz this is my 1st time :D

Best thing to use in the hutch for the first few days is just newspaper.
This is so the sawdust doesnt irratate the wounds.

And dont forget to put plenty of hay in there too! :D

After a couple of days you can then put the sawdust back :wave:

thanks,

just got them back the vet chagred more i wasnt happy coz i didnt know,
they sed on the phone £37.10 so i took £90 today incase of paint killers and stuff just to be on safe side and they charged me £108.26 i wasnt happy coz i didnt know i wish they told me a price on the phone coz if i didnt have my fiance with me i wouldnt be able to pay that day i got to take them back in 5 days do u think they will charge me for this?

i dont mind paying that coz its still a fair price but its the fact i didnt know i was gutted coz i had to pay more than i expected and im glad i got payed today but i didnt take my card, only cash..

they sooo tired i feel sorry for them should i put they water bottles by they face every hour or so to make sure they drinking?

what if they drop off to sleep again and sleep into it?
they both got they heads out buy the door of the carryer cages now so they coming around better again.

what if they drop off to sleep again and sleep into it?
they both got they heads out buy the door of the carryer cages now so they coming around better again.

dont put the bowls right infront of their faces, just incase they do put their heads into it.
put it a a little way away from them, when they are more awake they will start to adventure out of their carriers etc for food and a drink.
make sure they have plenty of hay and pellets to eat aswell as fresh water :wave:

dont put the bowls right infront of their faces, just incase they do put their heads into it.
put it a a little way away from them, when they are more awake they will start to adventure out of their carriers etc for food and a drink.
make sure they have plenty of hay and pellets to eat aswell as fresh water :wave:

yes everything was ready before i put them there lol
ill put a little bowl of water for them now..

when will they heal do u think?

yes everything was ready before i put them there lol
ill put a little bowl of water for them now..

when will they heal do u think?

Been a long time since i have experienced a neuter, nearly 4years! :shock: :lol:
So i cant really say..
i would think for a complete heal; a few weeks?

i dont expect it to happen fast but i dont want to put them out side now coz im frigthen they may dye form the cold coz they would be indoors for a bit ill put them out once they eating again like pigs and they hopping back like normal.

i had mine done last friday and 1 of my girls didnt eat till the following evening. they both just slept all night the first night....within 48 hrs they were more or less back to normal. :)

was your outdoor bunnies?

so i think i may keep mine in for 2 nights to be on the safe side i dont want them to get use tot he heat thats all coz they soo use to be outside when it was -5 out.

i dont expect it to happen fast but i dont want to put them out side now coz im frigthen they may dye form the cold coz they would be indoors for a bit ill put them out once they eating again like pigs and they hopping back like normal.

you need to be careful when putting them back outside.
As it is still winter and very cold outside, and they are currently in a nice and warm house.

Could you keep the room they are in cool?
So they dont have so much of a shock going back out?

Back