• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm getting my first rabbit!

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Hey all, I recently made a post asking how to convince my parents to let me have a rabbit, and they said yes! I have my rabbit and cage picked out, and now I am looking for tips! (I've read up on lots of rabbit info, but I can get everything answered here :D )
So, I've picked out my cage:
http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/for/1614872185.html

The rabbit is a dwarf, and I don't like the wirte bottom, so I'm laying newspaper down on the bottom and putting hay on top of that. Nice and cozy! I've made a list of some of the stuff I may need:

Bedding
Litter
Cage
Kennel
Harness
Pellets
Hay
Treats
Toys
Litter box
bed
Toys
Brush
Salt Licks
Water and food dishes
Hay Rack
Blanket to cover part of cage
Outdoor hutch materials to make for summertime.

Do you think that is good? What else would you recommend I buy?
Also, about how much does it cost to spay a rabbit? The female I'm getting isn't spayed, and I want that done ASAP.

Also, what are good techniques to make the rabbit feel welcome and calm in her new home? Thanks! :wave:

That cage looks tiny.... :?

You really need something much bigger if it is being used for anything more than just a base, also being off the floor is not ideal.

We have a 3ft indoor cage for our 2 house rabbits, but it is purley used a hideaway for them, it is never closed as they have complete free roam of the spare bedroom.

You may need to seriously look into getting something more suitables, rabbits needs lots of space available to them at all times. If you can't dedicate a full room to them, you could always place a cage on the floor and then maybe attach a dog pen to it? Alternatively you can look for a large dog crate as a base for the rabbit.

That is the cage she will be in at night, but she will have full run of the spare room during the day when my mom can check on her. :D

morning! well, for me anyway!

well done on getting parents permission - i read your posts and you're very convincing - as someone said, looks like you will be a great bunny mummy. my rabbits are indoors, in an enclosure just a tiny bit smaller than the bedroom they used to have to themselves. someone will tell you the recommended size for rabbit accommodation in the uk, as a guide, i think its 5'x2' but i don't know how high - 2' wouldn't be enough as bunny wouldn't be able to stand up. my enclosure is made with puppy pen panels, and they have their old cages in there, with sides off so they can hop in and out all day, and i have board and carpet tiles on top of the cages (someone here told me to do that) so they don't get their legs stuck when they jump up. it makes another level, and they love to sit up there. i've tried lots of variations of accommodation and this one is easy to clean (there are lots of litter trays) and the rabbits are very much 'part of the family', not shut away somewhere.
your mom will be thrilled with a bunny to play with all day. i am convinced of this! but still, go for more space at nights, as they are very active in the night time.

good luck with your new bun. :)

The cage is 4 feet long, 2 feet deep, 4 feet high. :)
Thanks!

There is no way that cage is those dimensions!! Besides which, the height, as long as it's at least 2ft, really makes no difference, as bun can't use that space. It's the amount of space they've got to hop around in that's important, and that needs to be at least 6ft by 2ft, bun should be able to take 4 hops along the length.

For an indoor bunny I would also go for a cage on the ground. Outside buns need to be off the ground to keep them away from the damp and from predators. But generally buns hate to be off the ground. Plus in that sort of cage you would have to lift bun out every time you wanted to give him/her playtime, which might be tricky, a lot of buns don't like being picked up, especially when you first get them. Better to have a cage they can get out of on their own.

Please don't get this cage!

I bought 3 set ups before I found one that I was happy with, starting with a 4ftx2ftx18 inch hutch and 4ft run, going to a 5ftx2ftx2ft double hutch and 6 ft run and finally endin up with a 14ft dog kennel.

What I am saying is that it is a false economy to buy something that isn't suitable for your rabbit, you end up paying so much more trying to make better your mistakes, and in my mine that is money that can be used on rabbit treats :)

Definately take another look as to what you could buy, could you buy a large outdoor hutch and bring it inside. Or amybe consider a dog crate

http://cgi.ebay.ca/48-3-Doors-Foldi...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ebc746f I don't think I would go any smaller than this though

That is an ambitious list! Good for you. :thumb:

I have a few comments, like the others:

1) Rabbits don't need salt licks - they get their minerals from fresh veggies!

2) Wire bottomed cages are really uncomfortable, even if you cover them with blankets and such.

3) That cage does look a bit small. I would peg it around 2' x 1' x 2'. One really great solution for the cage issue is NIC cubes. You get to build your bunny a custom condo that fits in all kinds of unique places!

LeithPetwerks_condo.JPG

These are pretty cheap, as you just get the cubes at a local store. (Do you guys have Fred Meyer up in BC?) And they are a lot of fun to build, and your bunny will looooove it. :)

So, I say that if you take away the salt lick and build yourself a nice NIC condo, you'll be in pretty good shape!

Good luck on getting your new bun all settled in! :wave:

I thought thet was a hamster cage! I agree you need a cage on the floor, as somone else said having to pick bunny up every time, to go in and out of the cage could be stressful for bunny and awkard for you if he dosnt want to be caught. Better he can go in and out himself and come to you, then he will see his cage as a place to retreat to and less of a prison.

A friend of mine has that cage and she uses it as a base for her bunny but he also has a 4' x 4' puppy pen that surrounds it. It is seriously small( 21.5" L X 32" W X 32" H) and there is no way that a rabbit would be happy in there with the door shut. I would suggest either NIC cubes or a exercise pen for when you are not home:)
You will have to post pics of your new bunny when you get it! How exciting! :D

i would recommend a cage on the floor, because then she can hop back in to do her poops, otherwise she will poop everywhere because she cant get toher cage to do it.
Also, any dog crate or indoor cage needs a pen permanently attatched ideally, so they have extra room.

I have a foster bunny here whos cage does not have a pen (he is staying here very shorterm) and he gets so fed up if hes not out all day, its not enough room. His cage is on a big table, and its so difficult to let him out to play because he cant run back into the cage whenever he wants to. This is a temp set up, and i would not recommend it long term at all!xxx

Those cages on wheels look quite wobbly to me. They may be ok for very small and light animals, but I would not use them for a rabbit. Plus they can't jump in and out of the cage during the day. It would be good to have just one litter tray, which stays inside the cage all the time. My indoors bunnies always hopped back into their cage to use the litter tray there.

I would look for a different indoor cage - as others have said, something on the floor so that bunny can hop in and out easily :)

I know you want your bunny to be happy, and you sound like you are doing your research really well, so i hope you will accept everyone's advice and find something better for your bunny :)

Look forward to pictures when your bunny is home with you :wave:

Hello and welcome :wave:

Its great that you are doing your research and planning before you get your rabbit - many people don't and have a surprise which often results in the animal ending up in rescue.

I would strongly recommend you have a look around the forum and do a search on indoor accomodation to get some ideas of housing people on here have for their rabbits, there are lots of different ways to do it. I think it is a common mistake people to not get the most appropriate housing (indoor or outdoor) first time around which means a double outlay of money so its a good idea to do a bit of research. Definatley bigger is better in this instance ;)

I don't know what spaying will cost where you are but here I payed about £75
You need to find a vet who is familiar with rabbits so I would ring around and ask lots of questions.

Good luck.

Hiya,
Something like this would be ideal....and a lot cheaper too :wave:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/42-3-Doors-Foldi...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ec00b1e

you can put fleecy blankets on the bottom then a litter tray in there and bun will be very happy. You can even put a dog bed in there for her.
I would stay away from raised cages as they aren't great for buns.
The wire bottom will also be quite uncomfortable, so you should really go for something with a solid bottom.
Hope you don't mind the suggestions :wave:

Back