• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bunny has no droppings since tuesday and now he is but it in a white stick mucus

barbara forster

Warren Scout
flippy had a cystomasy to remove sludge from his bladder last friday. i picked him up on sat, had a check up on monday and the vet was very pleased.
From yesterday morning there have been no droppings. i took him to the emergency vet when i realised last night and she gave him vetergesic and metroclopramide (cant spell it - the gut stimulant). he is already on baytril and metacam. Still nothing this morning so back to our vet for more vetergesic and metroclopramide. tonight it was just the gut stimulant. flippy has just been passing some droppings but they are encased in a very sticky white substance. i phoned the emergency vet cover to ask what was going on but they said they couldnt tell without seeing him. Flippy is really nervous and hates going to the vets. can anyone tell me what s going on please.

I was going to say that he needs to see the vet asap, but you seem to have that one covered!
Has he been eating/ have you been syringe feeding him at all?
I'm afraid I'm not sure what it is. Initial reaction is that his tummy is empty ans has nothing in it to pass, but that's only a guess.
I'd get him back to the vet asap to be honest.
Hope all goes well and let us know how he gets on.

If it was mucus covering the poo then this can occur due to inflammation in the GI tract after a bout of GI stasis. However, are you sure it was mucus rather than poo covered with sludge from urine ?

Is he eating and drinking now ?

The droppings were covered in the white glue type stuff. It has stopped now. The droppings are looking more normal now but still a bit on the small side. I am still syringing him with oxbow critical care to get his fibre in him. He is also eating celery, grass and greens but i am still giving him extra water too. He isnt touching the excel pellets. He is quite lively in himself but still looks uncomfortable when passing droppings or urine. I have another bun at the vet at 3.20 for front teeth trim so will take flippy as well. They may give him another jab of the gut stimulant.
Last week i had three back teeth ops and one of them was so bad after the GA i thought i was losing her. she is ok now and so is peter.
Just hope flippy has turned a corner too.
thanks for replying

Back