• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Statis and Pellets

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Frankie has had two bouts of statis and each time has been a few hours after having pellets. Could this be linked. :? Should I stop feeding pellets or change brand?

i have no idea.. Alvin never seems to react to food.. infact i only know hes in stasis when he refuses food hours after anything but hay :?

i *think* its possible when im more generous with pellets he eats less hay and less fibre lets the gut slow... but pellets themself.. im not so sure :?

I have a few Buns who had repeated episodes of stasis whilst on pellets.
Since changing to a mix they have all been fine.
All the Buns are Rexes btw.......................

I have a few Buns who had repeated episodes of stasis whilst on pellets.
Since changing to a mix they have all been fine.
All the Buns are Rexes btw.......................

Thanks for that. He is my rexy bun. Think I will try changing. What mix do you use?

I would think the correlation is way too small to be conclusive - he gets pellets every day (presumably) but has only had problems twice, it's quite a tenuous link. Although I guess it can't hurt to try a different food just in case :)

Bunnie use to go into stasis alot and her poos use to be really soft on a regular basis and she'd have stodgy poo stuck to her bottom fur so we tried putting her on a high fibre pellet - Oxbow Bunny Basics T and we noticed a difference in and no more poo blow outs or messy bum.

The frequency of a bad tum and often going into stasis slowed down but still kept happening, until we tried stopping the little bit of veg she did have and that seemed to do the trick. She went over a year without stasis or messy bum so it was obviously the veg. Not all buns can stomach it if delicate tums.

I would recommend changing if they prone to tummy upsets as it helped Bunnie a lot and even stopping veg.

Just feed limited amount of pellet and tonnes of hay. Keep eye on weight if loose's a bit then up pellet a bit - we had to trial and error to increase the pellet to a right amount that wouldn't upset her tum.

She was on Selective Science when we got her but kept getting chalky wee so changed food to excel which stopped the calcified wee as excel had less calcium content and didn't contain Alfalfa but she kept getting messy bum and stomach stopping, so switched to the Oxbow and limited the pellet and no veg - and she done well.

Munch suffered from stasis quite a bit until I stopped giving him coriander. Would love to feed bunny basics T but havent been able to find a place in or near Herts that stock it.

Munch suffered from stasis quite a bit until I stopped giving him coriander. Would love to feed bunny basics T but havent been able to find a place in or near Herts that stock it.

I order mine from the vets, it is about £14 for a 4.5kg bag. Don't have to pay delivery on that and just pick it up next day. You can also order on line but may work out more expensive with postage.

Back