• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a Dwarf Lop weighing 1.65kg ..........

CRBevis

Mama Doe
at nearly 11 months old a bit low???

Polo is indoor bun perfectly healthy, was free range at evening and night until last week he now 24/7 free range.

He was on Oxbow Bunny Basics T but have just weaned him over to Excel adult pellet. He was on Oxbow as this is what fed Bunnie (mini lop) due to her poorly tummy but I decided to put him on a what I call a lesser healthier pellet. He has pellet for brekkie and for tea rest of time eats hay. He has some veg too. I have started to give him some pellet for supper at about 12.30 - 1am to try put a bit more meat on his bones. He's not super boney but I can feel his spine, ribs etc a bit more than I like.

I have been concerned he bit too thin in past when he was about 7months but thought he'd grow more and maybe fill out a bit as calms down from being a hiper baby.

He weighed 1.6kg when he was de-plummed on 12th October and when I took him to vets last week for his manicure and health check, she weighed him and he was only 1.65kg. I said I concerned he a bit too skinny and that since going free range I have upped pellet a bit to fuel his nightime roaming but not made much of a difference.

She thought he is a "skinny rabbit" although only just gone 10 months so still young and appears really healthy so is thinking if doesn't put a bit of weight on with increase in food then maybe just fast metabolism and said can keep bringing him in to be weighed whenever I want to track him.

Do you think his weight of 1.65kg at 11months on 12th March is a bit low for a dwarf lop.

He is a rescue rabbit as was dumped with his bro's and sis's and mum at easter last year, but his mum was definetly a lop and was a decent size.

Does he still have growing to do or should he have now done all his growing at nearly 11 months?

Is this an ok weight and not to worry and just keep tracking his weight???

what was his dad? if he was a smaller breed then it could be perfectly normal.. as long as he dont feel skinny when you feel his spine i bet hes totally all good :D

Pearl has dropped sooooooooooooo much weight but even now im used to it she dont look skinny, she looks lean :D

what was his dad? if he was a smaller breed then it could be perfectly normal.. as long as he dont feel skinny when you feel his spine i bet hes totally all good :D

Pearl has dropped sooooooooooooo much weight but even now im used to it she dont look skinny, she looks lean :D

Hey hun:wave:

we not sure about the dad but the lady kept one of his sisters and brothers and they are a bit bigger than him and women is sure there dad must of been a dwarf lpo too but we can't be sure as mum and kits were dumped on her doorstep.

He doesn't look skinny just lean like you said but in certain positions I can run my fingers over his ribs and my finger goes over the rib into the grove and back over the next rib which I feel is a bit too skinny.

His spine a couple of weeks ago I could feel too much, but since upped his food and he on this excel pellet I can't feel it as much.

I can still feel his shoulder blades and whatever it is at the back , the pelvis or hips just before the back drops down to the bum bum.

What age do they stop growing is it a year ol that they reach adult size or is it earlier at maybe 9 months when stop growing???

Can't remember when Bunnie stopped growing

Pearls a lean mean fighting machine bless her xx

and Alvins just a fighting mischievous machine x

i cant remember but i was pretty disappointed with alvins weight :oops::oops:

he got to 2.25 at about a year i think and his mom (or dad cant remeber) was HUGE :shock:

Pearl got up to over 3kg but is now down to about 2.5kg... i dont think a few 100g make a huge amount of difference as long as it remains stable..

is it 18 months when they are officially full grown?

pearl was 2.5 at 6months when i bought her home and got to 3.2 at her heaviest before illness and is now back down to her baby weight

i cant remember but i was pretty disappointed with alvins weight :oops::oops:

he got to 2.25 at about a year i think and his mom (or dad cant remeber) was HUGE :shock:

Pearl got up to over 3kg but is now down to about 2.5kg... i dont think a few 100g make a huge amount of difference as long as it remains stable..

is it 18 months when they are officially full grown?

pearl was 2.5 at 6months when i bought her home and got to 3.2 at her heaviest before illness and is now back down to her baby weight

2.5 at 6 months :shock: is she a mixed breed???

Alvins a dwarf lop isn't he??

Harley's 3.5kg and she's a dwarf lop :wave:

Miffy is just under 2kg and she's a Nethie crossed with a Lionhead and similar shape to Polo

Last edited:
2.5 at 6 months :shock: is she a mixed breed???

Alvins a dwarf lop isn't he??

shes a satin.... from what ive read they are a bred for meat breed, inbred to the point of making a whole new type of fur as well as feeding people :(

altho if she was as big as they say they can be on the BRC website theres no way her heart would still be pumping now :shock::shock:

i was never sure of Alvins breed, i settled at dwarf but his face is more mini :?

shes a satin.... from what ive read they are a bred for meat breed, inbred to the point of making a whole new type of fur as well as feeding people :(

altho if she was as big as they say they can be on the BRC website theres no way her heart would still be pumping now :shock::shock:

i was never sure of Alvins breed, i settled at dwarf but his face is more mini :?

Polo's head is small that why I call him Pin Head:D, Bunnies head was bigger than his and she was a mini.

Harley's 3.5kg and she's a dwarf lop :wave:

Miffy is just under 2kg and she's a Nethie crossed with a Lionhead and similar shape to Polo

:wave:

Hi Gem

Do you know at what age they stop growing as reached adult hood??

hehe strange little buggas aint they these mixed breeds... try not to worry tho hun, he may get a growth spurt before hes much older or he may happily settle at this weight.. long as hes lively and not skinny that looks poorly hes oks :D

id say about 2kg is Alvins ideal but im too generous with the pellets so hes quite chunky :oops::oops::oops:

dwarf lops can vary a lot in size depending on how much mini or giant is in there :) My sooty's idea is about 2.5 but he feels very skinny at that weight (he's all belly) honey however should be closer to 2kg but she doesn't feel so skinny at that weight as she is very fluffy. If your vet isn't too concerned then i would just up the food a bit and see what happens. Oxbow t may have been a bit to restrictive as it is usually only for adult buns and he may need a bit more nutrition..

usually 6 months is classed as adult for a medium sized bun but they can still keep growing after that. I think sooty took about 9 months to finish growing. Honey was fully grown when she came to me at about 6 months.

Last edited:
hehe strange little buggas aint they these mixed breeds... try not to worry tho hun, he may get a growth spurt before hes much older or he may happily settle at this weight.. long as hes lively and not skinny that looks poorly hes oks :D

id say about 2kg is Alvins ideal but im too generous with the pellets so hes quite chunky :oops::oops::oops:

:love: chunky Alvin

He small but definietly looks healthy and behaving like a normal bun:)

Cheers Don

Hugs and kisses to Alvin & Pearl from me and Pin Head xxx

dwarf lops can vary a lot in size depending on how much mini or giant is in there :) My sooty's idea is about 2.5 but he feels very skinny at that weight (he's all belly) honey however should be closer to 2kg but she doesn't feel so skinny at that weight as she is very fluffy. If your vet isn't too concerned then i would just up the food a bit and see what happens. Oxbow t may have been a bit to restrictive as it is usually only for adult buns and he may need a bit more nutrition..

usually 6 months is classed as adult for a medium sized bun but they can still keep growing after that. I think sooty took about 9 months to finish growing. Honey was fully grown when she came to me at about 6 months.

Yeah thats why I changed him to Excel, as he a slow eater and it takes forever for him to eat and upping the Oxbow would mean he would never leave his food bowl poor thing, he already takes a nap in the middle of eating, he such a delicate eater slow eater he chews his food thoroughly unlike Bunnie and most buns who demolish it in 5 mins if that.

I am pretty sure since weaning him onto this excel which has been 14 days now and today he fully weaned off Oxbow he feels like he is getting some meat on his bones already.

Last time he had a growth spurt was at 8 months:)

I usually put 'adulthood' as beginning at six months although I know that Frenchies often continue growing.

By about a year (for the smaller breeds) I would have said they are fully grown, our Miffy hasn't grown since the day we got her (9 weeks old) :roll:

Charlies a lionhead x dward lop and he's about 2kg I think, maybe a bit more, but he's a really bulky build. He has a lovely slim figure but he's broad as hell. If Polo has a smaller frame, he might just be a naturally smaller bunny :)

I have two dwarf lops and Bracken is tiny in comparison to Willow. As long as yours is healthy I wouldn't worry to much. Are you a member of the RWA - there was a really good article in rabbiting on about how to see if your rabbit is a healthy weight.

It's very low, but Brian my 'dwarf' lop is the same, he's barely grown since 9weeks of age , I guess he's crossed with a much smaller breed.

I have two dwarf lops and Bracken is tiny in comparison to Willow. As long as yours is healthy I wouldn't worry to much. Are you a member of the RWA - there was a really good article in rabbiting on about how to see if your rabbit is a healthy weight.

Yes I am a member and that article was good, made me a little bit more worried about how much bone definition I can feel though.

He does have a small frame so probs why.

He let me have a good feel of him today and he has put a little bit of weight on as can't fell his spine and ribs as much so changing pellet and upping feed is working :)

Radish is a lop not sure if she is a dwarf or some kind of mix but she only weighs about 1.8 kg and you can't feel her spine or ribs so I think she is the right weight.

Back