• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No hutch or crate

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Oscar lives in the conservatory and has a 4ft dog crate, but he never goes in there.
I'm thinking of taking the crate out of the room as he spends most of his time in his favourite spot under a chair.

Anyone else have a house bun without a "base", or does anyone have a good suggestion for a smaller/prettier alternative?

well if hes never locked in and never uses it why not just get rid? looks like hes chosen his hidy spot where he feels safe :D

I'd want to keep it anyway just incase you need it at all.
Such as safety reasons for if your bunny needed to be locked away

Mr Fluffs is free range...

he just has a litter tray tucked in the corner, a snuggle bed, and toys everywhere.

He's fine with it, he also prefers hidey holes.

I just have to be super careful with shutting doors when I have to open the front door. And if I know someone is coming with an unfamiliar dog- the dog goes outside/ in the kitchen, or Fluffs goes upstairs (one of his fave hidouts is under my bed anyway).

I do agree with what Steph says that somewhere safe is a good backup plan if the above is difficult.

Fluffs opened the door into the hallway yesterday when the Tesco man came, it was like 'mmm mommee this man bought me kale nom nom'. (Mummy hadn't shut the door tight)

Luckily he won't cross the laminate floor in the upper half of the room so I've no worries about him coming out of the room at the moment, athough as his health improves and he's getting stronger theres a chance he will.

I only need him secure when I vacuum so he doesn't chew the cable.

I can't think of what else I could put in the room that he might use as a bolt hole (not that he bolts anywhere :lol:). Don't know if it feels right not having a crate:roll:

Polo only goes in pen for litter tray food and water, but I keeping it as it's his pad and his safe place (along with behind the sofa or underbed) that he has known since a baby and if incase of emergency I can lock him in there so safe.

Luckily he won't cross the laminate floor in the upper half of the room so I've no worries about him coming out of the room at the moment, athough as his health improves and he's getting stronger theres a chance he will.

I only need him secure when I vacuum so he doesn't chew the cable.

I can't think of what else I could put in the room that he might use as a bolt hole (not that he bolts anywhere :lol:). Don't know if it feels right not having a crate:roll:

Pearl and Alvin both use a carrier as a bolt hole when they get abit upset (usually with me when they see the other carrier :cry:)

Pearl and Alvin both use a carrier as a bolt hole when they get abit upset (usually with me when they see the other carrier :cry:)

That's a good idea though. Fluff's spot is down the side of the sofa. I think he knows I'm too big to get down there :lol:

That's a good idea though. Fluff's spot is down the side of the sofa. I think he knows I'm too big to get down there :lol:

Yep, Oscar sits in a place I can't get to without moving chairs etc.
Luckily he's a randy bunny so he can only resist me being in the room a few minutes before he has to run aroung me in circles buzzing his head off:lol:

We have a couple of carriers covered over with towels for when our buns free range, but they generally use them as toilets :roll: :lol:

neither of mine have a base as in cage or crate. litter trays, food/water bowls, their own soft bed in their favourite spots and tunnels etc strewn all around the house:oops:

Back