• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got a bit of an idea / Started it - POST 22

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Can a lot of people please post the truth about keeping rabbits?
How much they've cost you, vet bills, vacs, boarding, damage, ect.

Hopefully gonna try and start a facebook page with ALL the info on, so if I do then I can add everyone on here and we can pass it along.

Opinions please? And if you think it could be worth it - lots of info too :)

Last edited:
Can a lot of people please post the truth about keeping rabbits?
How much they've cost you, vet bills, vacs, boarding, damage, ect.

Hopefully gonna try and start a facebook page with ALL the info on, so if I do then I can add everyone on here and we can pass it along.

Opinions please? And if you think it could be worth it - lots of info too :)

you can do a facebook page not sure if non rabbity people will join better to put a link to ru i would think in your own facebook profile? but the truth about bunnies facebok page does sound fun!!! :) i would sub section the facebook page prehaps so that people could see other information but im not sure how you would do that? prehaps create another webpage with a link to facebook? im not sure! x

Not sure, I'm going out soon so I'm going to have a play about tonight if a few people think it's an okay idea!

well you could mention that some rabbits like mine like to chew. ALOT!!!
and as a result has cost me £400 in hutches since october.

then,
hay £8 per fortnight
pellets £5 per month
veg £5-10 per week
toys up to £10 per month (steve loves to chew!)
mixy vac £17.50 every 6 minth
vhd vac £17.50 per year
insurence £30 per month ish(payed into seperate account for just incase)
straw for bedding £4 per week
treats (special hays, crunchies etc) £20 per month plus
megazorb(litter) £10 every 2 month
then replacement bowls, litter trays, water bottles £40 per year maybe

so whats that £1560 ish and thats for a healthy rabbit, not dentals or regular vet trips excep rutine ones.

well you could mention that some rabbits like mine like to chew. ALOT!!!
and as a result has cost me £400 in hutches since october.

:shock::shock::shock:

I have no idea how much I spend on my buns, and I don't want to add it up either! :lol:

i have stollen someone elses thing adn added in my totlas

hay £6 per fortnight
pellets £5 per month
veg £5-10 per week
toys up to £5 a month usually per bunny
mixy vac £23 every 6 minth per bunny
vhd vac £24 per year per bunny
straw for bedding £4 per 2 weeks
treats (special hays, crunchies etc) £20 per month
that doesnt include the £5 pannacurr the £24 snuggle safes the hutches the water bowls or bottles as they were a one off purchess the fencing and runs in garden bunny proofing, carriers, dentals and vet trips other than routine, spays and neuters.... etc...

i think we should have a cheap option and an expensive one, because I used to spend £40 a month on hay because I didn't know I could get bales of hay. People who live in the middle of a city won't have access to bales so they would need to be available of the expense of hay.

hay £3 a month
Science Selective food £6 a month
Megazorb litter £14 a month
Neutering two females £180
Vaccinations two rabbits £90 a year (£15 each - four myxis, two vhds)
Vets bills - sore hocks - 1 rabbit £600 in 1 year
6ft hutch £120
25sqft run £70
Run cover £70

What about the other little 'accidental' costs?! Here are some of mine (the ones the OH got cross about)

Chewing a hole in your new leather sofa (mostly emotional damage)

Chewing your wall; cost of replastering.

Phone charger- about £5

Lumberjack type activity on my bay tree- £30

Chomping on my plants; well they're still there but they don't look pretty any more.

I've got a lot of "accidental damanges" :lol:

Also need to write about how it's better to have pairs
how much space you need
fox proofing hutches

Stuff like that!

What I can think off and these are approximate under estimates probably rather than over estimates, I do possibly spend a lot on hay because I buy Oat hay and Timothy and Readigrass aswell and it usually only last two weeks if that.

Shed 179.00
Outdoor hutch and run £120.00
Blankets, towels, litter trays, hidey houses, playpens x2 , lino, plastic sheeting for cover, gauze for window, mozzie net approx £200.00 min
Toys, tunnels, bowls, bottles £50.00 min
Total = £550 approx

Weekly
Hay/dandelion/plaintain £15.00-20.00 average
Dry Food £3.00 ish
Fresh foods/herbs & greens £10.00 minimum Total = £30.00 average

Vet costs
Vacs for two Myxi and VHD & Neutering for 2 £300.00 approx vacs due again in late Spring which will be a further £60-£70 Total = £370 inc neutering
Vacs only £150.00 approx

Total annual cost (average is £1600.00) not including the one off's at the top for housing toys etc with them included it would be near £2K but, obviously you don't spend those every year.

Accidental damages this year 2 laptop chargers £50.00 from Dell. Little sod:lol:

Shed 179.00
Outdoor hutch and run £120.00
Blankets, towels, litter trays, hidey houses, playpens x2 , lino, plastic sheeting for cover, gauze for window, mozzie net approx £200.00 min
Toys, tunnels, bowls, bottles £50.00 min
Total = £550 approx

Weekly
Hay/dandelion/plaintain £15.00-20.00 average
Dry Food £3.00 ish
Fresh foods/herbs & greens £10.00 minimum Total = £30.00 average

Vet costs
Vacs for two Myxi and VHD & Neutering for 2 £300.00 approx vacs due again in late Spring which will be a further £60-£70 Total = £370 inc neutering
Vacs only £150.00 approx

Total annual cost (average is £1600.00) not including the one off's at the top for housing toys etc with them included it would be near £2K but, obviously you don't spend those every year.

Accidental damages this year 2 laptop chargers £50.00 from Dell. Little sod:lol:

You could almost make this a mastercard advert...

Laughs had from owning buns... priceless :lol:

Monthly:
Food £20
Hay £30

Thats basics for 8 bunnies :D

Will do the long version later

What I've spent on permanent stuff (couldn't work out what weekly costs are so this is just accomodation etc, not including vet bills)

Approxomate Costs:

Shed: £300

Run: £120

Tunnel X2: £30

Carrier: £5

Pen: £30

Work on shed (cat flap fitting etc): £200

Adoption Fee: £50

Shelf: £20

Box: £2.99

Litter Tray: £10

Bowls: £7

Water Bottle (currently unused): £4

Other Litter tray: £5

Total: £783.99

Do it for people like me who got two bunnies and hadn't an inkling of the cost, work and worry that bunnies involve!!!

Don't worry folks! I loooooooove my bunnies and they have everything they need and desire. Started off with a 2x3x2 hutch, recommended and sold by pets at home for two mini lops (£60) - scandalous Couple of weeks later ...... 8x4 condo with upstairs, solid wood, roof etc £350. Then the fencing - £70, because their exercise area was too small - big now!! Still not happy that condo is big enough - gonna get em a shed to attach on with a tunnel - £250. Then the usual stuff - food, toys, willow baskets, healthy treats, veg, vaccinations, spaying and neutering, spending time with them twice per day, EVERY day to let them exercise. Planning for holidays - £4.50 for animal sitter to spend half hour. Will pay for 2 half hour sessions per day so thats £9 per day for hols!

Wouldn't change them for the world but if someone had told me I might have thought twice.

Back