• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

after care advice

pennypoos

Mama Doe
Hello.:D: Iv just booked my 5 year old dutch rabbit penny , in at the vets to be spayed in the hope that it will calm her down and help her to be a little more sociable. She is very grumpy, hates being picked up and runs away if i try to go near her. So im hoping that having her spayed will help to calm her down a bit and make her a much happier bunny. I`m a little worried though, because when she came to live with us her brother came aswell . His name was darren, but not long after i had him neutered he died. So obviously i am concerend that the same is going to happen to penny. I know that having this procedure done carries a risk for all rabbits, but i would like to know if there is any thing i can do to make her comfortable when i bring her home, or anything that might help to reduce the risk of her dying like her brother did.

:wave: just wanting to send Penny some some good luck vibes!

i'm fostering two male rabbits at the moment and they've just been neutered and i'll be collecting them today. hopefully they're both ok. the usual advice is to keep them indoors overnight (if they're outdoor rabbits) and monitor them carefully as u want to make sure they're eating and pooping ok. if u can, try and check their stitches too.

i think spaying Penny should help make her more sociable. will Penny let u stroke her on the ground? one of my rabbits used to hate being picked up and i too, could not get anywhere near her. however, i was able to stroke her while on the ground so i made that my starting point and over time, she let me pick her up without too much fuss. i think patience and alot of TLC might be the answer!

fingers crossed for all our bunnies x

Neutering your girlie bun will help immensely!!
Just ensure she has plenty of pain relief when you bring her home.Keep her fairly quiet and not alot of running about.She will eat tentatively.Just lots of her fave treats...herbs,hay and stuff.
Im sure she will be just fine.Sending vibes.xxx

well first thing is choosing a good rabbit savvy vet rabbits are exotics adn should be done by a vet who knows what they are doing,
secondly before the op she should eat as normal then after the op you must get her eating as soon as possible, make sure your vet has given her an injection of pain relief adn insist that you come home with some jsut in case to be given oarally, if they wont let you come home with some be prepared if she isnt eating to go get some the next day, she needs to be eating weeing and pooping again after op within 24hours else this is critical, keep her warm adn do a daily check on wound for infections or split stitches, rabbits should never be put in colalrs unless all other attempts to stop them biting through their wound stitches have failed as they distress tehm and stop them eating their caecotrpohs,
keep her inside for a minimum of 24 hours ideally 7-10 days she should be warm and monitored for first 24 hours(tis is the cruicial period) bunnies cnanot regularte their temperature after an anestetic so you need to make sure she is not too hot or cold at any time keeping her in a smaller space to normal and only letting ehr hop around gently no jumping will help her get better slowly. im so sorry to hear of the loss of your male did he have any underlying health issues? make sure your vet doe NOT do any innoculations during the 2 eweks before and after her operation as her iummune system will be lowered and it cn make recovery slower, if the wound does get infected she will need antibiotics such as baytril(this is not common though)
keep her on a clean soft bedding such as towels or vet bed, she should not be on hay or straw for at least 5days as it can poke into her woudns(same applys for woodchips etc) jsut use newspaper in the cage and lay towels on top i use a dog crate as a recovery cage in my lounge and spend the first 24hours with the buny to constnatly monitor them. hoep this helps best wishes on a speedy recovery...oh one mroe quick thing the vets should do a pre op check and a post op check the bunny should not be operated on f is currently ill or has other helath issues if she has underlying issues then this can make the operation more risky. however it is definatly in her best interests if well to have the op! :) good luck xx

i'm fostering two male rabbits at the moment and they've just been neutered and i'll be collecting them today. hopefully they're both ok. the usual advice is to keep them indoors overnight (if they're outdoor rabbits) and monitor them carefully as u want to make sure they're eating and pooping ok. if u can, try and check their stitches too.

hi oOo hope your fosters buns are ok. :)
Penny is an indoor bun so i will be able to keep a close eye on her. thankyou very much for sending penny good luck :D

will Penny let u stroke her on the ground? one of my rabbits used to hate being picked up and i too, could not get anywhere near her. however, i was able to stroke her while on the ground so i made that my starting point and over time, she let me pick her up without too much fuss. i think patience and alot of TLC might be the answer!

Penny will only let me stroke her if she is in her cage. If i try to stroke her when she is sat chillin in her favourite places out of her cage, she just runs away thumping her feet :roll: I realy hope that having her spayed will make her happy and more relaxed. I can`t wait for the day when she comes to me for a cuddle. :love:

well first thing is choosing a good rabbit savvy vet rabbits are exotics adn should be done by a vet who knows what they are doing,
secondly before the op she should eat as normal then after the op you must get her eating as soon as possible, make sure your vet has given her an injection of pain relief adn insist that you come home with some jsut in case to be given oarally, if they wont let you come home with some be prepared if she isnt eating to go get some the next day, she needs to be eating weeing and pooping again after op within 24hours else this is critical, keep her warm adn do a daily check on wound for infections or split stitches, rabbits should never be put in colalrs unless all other attempts to stop them biting through their wound stitches have failed as they distress tehm and stop them eating their caecotrpohs,
keep her inside for a minimum of 24 hours ideally 7-10 days she should be warm and monitored for first 24 hours(tis is the cruicial period) bunnies cnanot regularte their temperature after an anestetic so you need to make sure she is not too hot or cold at any time keeping her in a smaller space to normal and only letting ehr hop around gently no jumping will help her get better slowly. im so sorry to hear of the loss of your male did he have any underlying health issues? make sure your vet doe NOT do any innoculations during the 2 eweks before and after her operation as her iummune system will be lowered and it cn make recovery slower, if the wound does get infected she will need antibiotics such as baytril(this is not common though)
keep her on a clean soft bedding such as towels or vet bed, she should not be on hay or straw for at least 5days as it can poke into her woudns(same applys for woodchips etc) jsut use newspaper in the cage and lay towels on top i use a dog crate as a recovery cage in my lounge and spend the first 24hours with the buny to constnatly monitor them. hoep this helps best wishes on a speedy recovery...oh one mroe quick thing the vets should do a pre op check and a post op check the bunny should not be operated on f is currently ill or has other helath issues if she has underlying issues then this can make the operation more risky. however it is definatly in her best interests if well to have the op! :) good luck xx

Wow that`s allot of help.thank you so much :D i think if penny needs to have some pain relief post op i would rather take her to the vets , and have them give it to her.I don`t think i would feel confident enough to giv her it myself.
You said about making sure her temperature is not too hot or too cold, could you tell me how i do this please ? thanks for mentioning about the type of bedding to use , if you had not mentioned this to me i would of just put her back in her cage with straw hay and sawdust. i have some towels that i can use.
penny had a checkup at the vets the other day and the vet said she looked in perfect health.The vet that i am taking her to be spayed is used by the local guinea pig and rabbit rescue, so i am sure that they are very well experianced and they know exactly what they are doing. :):)
i don`t think that darren died due to undrelying heath issues, but when i took him to be neutered the vet that i took him to didn`t give me any after care advice, and he didn`t tell me to bring him in for a post op check infact he didn`t realy tell me anything other than to make sure he had plenty of water and to make sure he was eating. So maybe he died because he didn`t recieve the proper after care I feel so bad. If i had taken more care penny could still have her brother .:cry:
thank you so much for all of your helpfull advice :D

Wow that`s allot of help.thank you so much :D i think if penny needs to have some pain relief post op i would rather take her to the vets , and have them give it to her.I don`t think i would feel confident enough to giv her it myself.
You said about making sure her temperature is not too hot or too cold, could you tell me how i do this please ? thanks for mentioning about the type of bedding to use , if you had not mentioned this to me i would of just put her back in her cage with straw hay and sawdust. i have some towels that i can use.
penny had a checkup at the vets the other day and the vet said she looked in perfect health.The vet that i am taking her to be spayed is used by the local guinea pig and rabbit rescue, so i am sure that they are very well experianced and they know exactly what they are doing. :):)
i don`t think that darren died due to undrelying heath issues, but when i took him to be neutered the vet that i took him to didn`t give me any after care advice, and he didn`t tell me to bring him in for a post op check infact he didn`t realy tell me anything other than to make sure he had plenty of water and to make sure he was eating. So maybe he died because he didn`t recieve the proper after care I feel so bad. If i had taken more care penny could still have her brother .:cry:
thank you so much for all of your helpfull advice :D

im sure that darren did not die as a result of your care, rabbits are complex creatures adn these things sadly can happen,
however regarding temperature i usually cauge by feeling the skin through the fur or by their ears though ears are not always accurate if she is indoors then jsut make sure she doesnt feel cold at all during teh night giving her a snuggle safe heat pad prehaps may hel (vet uk have tehm cheap at the moment)
regarding pain relif the injection they give will alst 24hours and then they will allow you usually to take home oral meds (metacam) i have no issues getting buns to take this in fact coco is a bit of a unkie if i was to let him it tastes of honey and they usually gobble it!!! lol best of luck let us know how she gets on oh and one thing regarding behaviour it takes 4-6weeks for their hormones to completly settle so dont worry if she initially seems worse or grumpyier than before its jsut while they are settling! yo ushould notice a difference after jsut over a month. :) x

Just to repeat what others have said that the most important thing is finding a bun savvy vet that has routinely performed bunny spays. Their success rate is important and 90% is way too low.

When she comes home, make sure she is in a warm, quiet place with lots of nice things to eat and water in a bowl as well as a bottle. Leave her to rest for a while and then try and tempt her with her favourite food (dry herbs, dandelion leaves or apple are worth a go)

Lots of vibes for your girliebun x

I will be honest, having got 2 dutch girlies and met a few too I hope she does improve, I'm often finding its a common temprement, I blame it on the boys having no back bone as my dutch boys are so dopey :lol:,

carrie my older girl isn't to bad shes taken 2 loverly chunks out of my sons arm, but she knows not to mess with me, though shes only really aggressive at feeding and in her "space" when out shes fine, beth isnt as bad she has her grunts and odd lunge, I will say the girls are a lot more intelligent than my boys too

Its will take a good few weeks to notice any differance, If she has clean bill of health then yes i would still spay, as shes indoors already the fact you can keep a pretty constant eye on her while in recovery is great, i used a towel or fleece for them to rest on, water bowl instead of bottle, and lots of food mainly hay and a few fav treat to encourage to eat, :D

Just to repeat what others have said that the most important thing is finding a bun savvy vet that has routinely performed bunny spays. Their success rate is important and 90% is way too low.

Lots of vibes for your girliebun x

Iv sent an email to our local rabbit rescue, her name is mandy. Iv asked her if she could recomend a vet for me. Im sure she uses the same one as I do, because when i took penny to the vets the other day, she had some cards on the counter with her name and contact details on advertising her rescue. I also know that it`s used by another local small animal rescue. which could me that this is quite a rabbit savvy vets. but even still ..... i will wait for a reply from the rescue and take her up on her advice on which vets she thinks i should use.
I am going to buy her a ceramic bowl for her water, and i am going to look into gettin her a heat pad if it is going to make her more comfortable.
I am also going to put her cage in our bedroom where it is nice and quiet, because she is currently in our living room , which can sometimes be a very noisey room with a three year and a six year old girls running around screeming and arguing as they do :roll::lol:.

Iv sent an email to our local rabbit rescue, her name is mandy. Iv asked her if she could recomend a vet for me. Im sure she uses the same one as I do, because when i took penny to the vets the other day, she had some cards on the counter with her name and contact details on advertising her rescue. I also know that it`s used by another local small animal rescue. which could me that this is quite a rabbit savvy vets. but even still ..... i will wait for a reply from the rescue and take her up on her advice on which vets she thinks i should use.
I am going to buy her a ceramic bowl for her water, and i am going to look into gettin her a heat pad if it is going to make her more comfortable.
I am also going to put her cage in our bedroom where it is nice and quiet, because she is currently in our living room , which can sometimes be a very noisey room with a three year and a six year old girls running around screeming and arguing as they do :roll::lol:.

i suppose the noise could be stressing her but i think its probebly personality too! another thought is get her eyes checked i have a bun with cateracts who is a loverly old boy but if you put something near him suddenly becasue he cant se ehe atttacks it if he knows it is coming he is fine ( this also stems from earlier mistreating before living with us though i believe) he used to be aggressive all the time especially when he felt threatened the neuter really calmed him down and once he setteled with us is like a soppy puppy these days!!!

i suppose the noise could be stressing her but i think its probebly personality too! another thought is get her eyes checked i have a bun with cateracts who is a loverly old boy but if you put something near him suddenly becasue he cant se ehe atttacks it if he knows it is coming he is fine ( this also stems from earlier mistreating before living with us though i believe) he used to be aggressive all the time especially when he felt threatened the neuter really calmed him down and once he setteled with us is like a soppy puppy these days!!!

The noise from the kids doesn`t seem to botter her, i think she is used to them. She has always had them around. Even when she used to live outside, she always heard them outside playing and making a noise like kids do :D
I gave the rabbit rescue a ring yesturday afternoon. The rescue lady uses the same vets that i have penny booked into. She gave me the name of the lady that performs spays and neutering on her rescue rabbits, and she also told me that if any of the other vets need any advice about rabbits then she is always on had to help out, which is a relief to know.
Penny went to the vets for a check up last week, because i thought she had mites in her ears, as she was shaking her head a little bit, and she keeps licking her feet. So i took her to be looked at. she gave her a good check over but i don`t remember her looking in her eyes, so i guess it wouldn`t harm to take her to get them checked out. i have penny booked in at the vets on a friday, and the lady from the rescue said it might be a better idea to take her a bit earlier in the week, just incase i need to take her back incase she is having any problems, like not eating pooing or weeing. Our vets is not open at the weekend and she told me that if i did need a vet to come out it would cost me 60 quid for just a call out charge. So im goin to see if i can change the appointment to an earlier date.

Back