• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis warning signs-my sad story

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
One of my bunnys died 2 months ago due to stasis, and a resulting blockage in her stomach (the stasis CAUSES the blockage, not the other way round I think.) One day she was totally fine eating, drinking and pooping as normal. The only slightly unusual thing I noticed was that that day she had very uncharacteristically fought with her bonded male Timmy. I also remember thinking that she seemed the tinyest bit "different" from usual, but I couldnt put my finger on why, and as she was well didnt think anymore of it.
The next morning she didnt follow me around pesting for her breakfast when I woke up and I knew instantly something was wrong. She wouldnt eat or drink, didnt poo and looked very uncomfortable. She was also shaking abit. I wrapped her up warm and got her to the vets straight away. He took her temperature, which was indeed low, and administered subcutaneous fluids, metacloperamide and pain relief. We brought her home under instructions to syringe feed her water and various medications often but within 2 hours she had died in my arms. I knew she was dying,she was floppy, unresponsive and her pupils were dilated, and my first thought was to get her back to the vets ASAP. But I knew instinctively we didnt have long left so we made the decision to wrap her up warm on a hot water bottle and cuddle and talk to her until she took her last breath a few mins later. It was the worst moment of my life but atleast she was surrounded by me, her dad and her boyfriend Timmy, warm and comfortable instead of at the vets getting poked and prodded. We kept her for the night so that Timmy could realise that she was truly gone, and grieve (animals accept death much better than us, but need time to understand that their friend isnt just sleeping, or hasnt gone somewhere they will be coming back from.)
Stasis can come on so suddenly and kill so rapidly so the best advise I can give is if your rabbit starts having any of these symptoms or BEHAVING wierdly in ANYWAY, get her to the vets immediately. You know your bunny better than anyone, trust your instincts. I now realise that her unusual attack of Timmy was probably a defensive attack as she had probably been feeling unwell the day before. I also realise I should have listened to that very quiet voice in my head that was telling me for no particular reason that something wasnt right. I wish she'd ground her teeth or "seemed" more obviously unwell, but rabbits hide it well, particularly the dominant one of a bonded pair as they don't like to show weakness.
I hope my auwful experience with this can help you be more vigilant with your precious buns, and I hope none of you ever have to go through it. I still miss Tilly everyday of my life. I was crippled with grief and guilt at first, but now I realise that I did everything I could and ultimately let her go with dignity and surrounded by love.
I have learnt from it aswell, today Timmy had an unusual fight with his new bonded girlfriend Mimi (a rescue bunny) so Im getting them to the vets later today for a check over. Timmy has had mild stasis before so I am particularly careful with him. I just wanted to share my hard-learnt lesson with all you bunny lovers out there.
Take care and big strokes to the buns :love:

so sorry for your loss, how did you find out about the blockage wass it by x ray or feel?? i was under the impression that metraclopromide should not be given if a rabbit has a blockage? i know this is not what you wish to hear right now and my sincere condolances stasis can come on very very quickly and is a killer in many rabbits so sorry this has happened to you. x

ahhh what a beautifully sad dtory, My childhood rabbit died of statsi in my arms poor Boo, was a beauty but we weren't as informed back then, I only presume it was stasis now I know the signs:cry:

Thanks guys, your words are really comforting.
The vet felt that her stomach was very large, and said it was because she was in stasis and anything she had eaten the previous day was lodged in her tummy.
To be honest I think they knew that the prognosis wasn't good and were trying every option possible. They're great rabbit vets, they own bunnys themselves and even they have lost 2 to stasis. Sometimes you can do everything perfectly and still get an unlucky bun :(
Good news though, I just took Timmy to the vets and he is absolutely in perfect health. I was just being paranoid mother it would seem, but who can blame me after losing Tilly like that?
Good health to all of your lovely bunnys xxx

i'm so sorry to hear about your much loved bun. i think its something we all fear and are continuously looking for ways to prevent it or reasons why it happens. sadly, it can't always be helped:(

i'm glad timmy is well and no, you're not being paranoid!

xxx

I'm sorry you lost your bunny but at least she died surrounded by love and will happily have drifted away.
Thanks for the warnings xxx

Awww poor Tilly, sorry you lost her in those circumstances was she a good age when she passed away? x

I'm so very sorry to hear that you lost your beloved bunny. But thank you so much for sharing your story with us - it must have been hard to relive it.

I have to admit that I usually do listen to that little voice hinting that something may not be quite right - however miniscule the outward signs. I'd rather be laughed at for being a worried mummy than have to deal with the consequences.

She was only 3 and I had only had her in my life for 2 years. So unfair. I adored that girl xxx

Awww I am sorry, that's still quite young although better off than some if she was loved and well looked after for 3 years, it's about quality really for bunnies isn't it rather than quantity, so 3 good years isn't too bad on that basis. :) Hope you don't have to experience that again :(

Thankyou Vikki. She did have a good life, and a dedicated mum! She was undoubtedly a very happy and secure bunny. It's comforting to think of it that way :D

I have to admit that I usually do listen to that little voice hinting that something may not be quite right - however miniscule the outward signs. I'd rather be laughed at for being a worried mummy than have to deal with the consequences.

Me too. I've lost 3 bunnies very suddenly now, one I had no warning (just found her dead :cry:), the second had stasis but I left it too long before getting treatment (17 hours) though I think there must have been a major underlying problem, not just a digestive upset, the third was in stasis but it was secondary to a liver torsion - she didn't stand a chance. As one of the vets at the practice I use said, "19 out of 20 rabbits we see with not eating symptoms you never get to know why they stopped and they recover .... it's the 1/20 you have to watch for", so he said they would rather see them for 'nothing' than not see them for 'something' .... it's never worth running in the risk that they are the 1/20 :( Stasis is often secondary to something but it's so hard to know what most of the time. :(

So sorry to hear about your bunny. What an awful shock for it to happen so suddenly like that but you truly did everything you could for her right up until the end.
Thank you for sharing the story to try and help others pick up these signs quickly.
Nicky

I'm so sorry to hear about your dearly loved bunny. I think she must have had a wonderful life with you. Yes, it's good to think of the good times you had together.

Thank you so much for telling us about it, & helping to save other bunnies lives. I do appreciate the courage it must have taken to do so.
May I welcome you to the forum & hope that you stay with us?

I'm so sorry that you have lost 3 of your buns, how painful that must have been for you. My worst nightmare is finding one of mine dead, horrible :cry:
I'll definatly be a regular on here now, I love chatting with all you bunny crazy people! Its comforting to know Im not the only one out there, and is so comforting to beable to get all of this off my chest (other people may suspect im abit mad!) So thankyou all so much and massive love to all of your gorgeous buns :love:

Back