• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I convince my parents to let me get a bunny?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Okay, I am 12 years old, and I own a dog. I previously owned two hamsters, which I took good care of, but their dwarf breed only lives around 3 years, and they have died. Now, 6 months later, I want another pet of my own as the dog is a family pet, and I really, really want a rabbit! I love horses above all and sometimes ride, but it is not realistic to own one because although we have money for one, my parents aren't too keen on the idea. xP So, for the last little while I have asked for a rabbit! I had made a movie on everything I learned about them, and showed it to my parents, but they just kind of smiled, and didn't take me seriously. I asked them that I would really enjoy a rabbit as a new companion since my hamster died, and then left it alone for a few months. But now, I was looking on the local craigslist, and I found a gorgeous female Holland Lop that is white with brown and black speckles. She looks so sweet, and I also found a large four foot long two foot deep cage for only 30 dollars, worth 250 bucks off eBay. I took initiative on finding a good rabbit and price, she's only 10 dollars! The owner didn't want to sell her, but then she said she thought I would be a responsible owner, and she agreed, if my parents said yes. She also would take care of the rabbit when I was travelling. I approached my parents again, and asked for a rabbit. My dad immediately countered with the normal stuff "It will smell" "somethign will eat it" "you won't take care of it"
I told him that i wouldn't let it roam unsupervised outside, and that it was litter box trained and I'd clean her cage twice a week, so the smell wouldn't be too bad, and that i took very good care of my hamsters, and a rabbit looks more interactive. By actually finding a good priced rabbit, it seemed to help, and my mom seemed okay with it, as it was so inexpensive, and I have money for the hay, nail clippers etc. But now, she says I am not responsible because I am reluctant to do chores. This is true, but animal wise I am pretty responsible. The family dog likes me the best out of the kids, and out of the 3 kids in my family, I feed/water her the most. Same with the hamsters we have owned, I took the most care of her, but still I don't enjoy doing them. Now, I am willing to do tons of chores for this wonderful bunny, and I do know the responsibilities. I love animals, but they still think i'll neglect her. THe thing is, I only have a few days to convince them, because the woman is not waiting too long. Any ideas on how to convince them? Thanks!

don't have a rabbit. they are too fragile and too expensive to be owned by anyone who cannot pay their own expenses - learn about rabbits and buy one when you're earning. i have two rabbits, i spend £100 a month on them and they have been healthy so far so that doesn't include vet bills.

as you write like an adult, i am sure you will understand this.

I am earning- I work at a local stable and i babysit. I also braid manes and tails at horse shows. I have $500 saved up, and my parents both have stable jobs and do not mind investing money into an animal; but letting me keep it is the first thing. My mother bought lots of toys and treats for our hamsters, who lived good lives, and I had to convince her to buy them too.

i never managed to get my dad to let me have animals :( i had to wait till i grew up before i got any pets of my own in my own house.

good luck persuading your parents it sounds like you would make a great bunny mummy.. but if its still a no.. enjoy the dog they are just as great :love: and when you get your own house one day, fill it with bunnies then :love::love::love:

Thanks! I actually found that speaking with someone selling a rabbit and cage really gained me some ground, because now they know I am serious. I really hope this works out, but if not I'll wait till I'm older.

I think that the best way to show your parents that you are responsible is by doing whatever they ask of you. If it's chores, work out an agreement with them as to what chores you should do each week. And maybe after being diligent with your chores, you can convince them that you are responsible enough to have a rabbit. :)

Rabbits are a lot of work, as it has been mentioned here, but as long as you have done your research and you know you'll be dedicated, I say go for it! Rabbits need their litter changed every day, or at the very least every other, and that is a job in itself! Also, making sure they have fresh veggies every day is very important, along with a diet of 90% hay!

And if you end up convincing your parents to let you have a rabbit, I would really recommend getting a rabbit at a rescue. There are many beautiful rabbits waiting for a "forever home" as we like to call it. :) And at a rescue, they will already be neutered, and they will come to you in good health (with no surprises!)

But also know, rabbits love being in pairs! It would be even better to get a rabbit who is bonded to another rabbit, and watch them play together! IT's a wonderful thing to see. :love:

Good luck on convincing your parents! You can definitely prove to them that you're dedicated if you truly are. :)

Thanks for the advice! Starting tomorrow, I am going to do ALOT more chores. There's motivation, so it will be easier. :) The rabbit I am interested in is litter trained, so I'll clean her litter daily, and cage twice a week. I was looking at rescue bunnies but there actually that many in my town, there are some in neighboring towns, but this bunny has no where to go adn will end up in a shelter if me or someone else does not adopt it. (The owner's dad has cancer and she has to move to near him, and she's a single mom, and the apartment doesn't allow pets) If I don't get that rabbit, I'll definitely go to the shelter. :D
Tomorrow I'm going to ask them what I need to do to let me keep a rabbit, because we have the space, I have the money, and I will do all the work, so I need to let them see that. Thanks. :)

Thanks! I actually found that speaking with someone selling a rabbit and cage really gained me some ground, because now they know I am serious. I really hope this works out, but if not I'll wait till I'm older.

Also, how can you convince them that you're responsible if you're up at 12:00am on a school night? :no: I'm in your time zone, missy, so I know you're up to no good! :lol::lol:

Lol, well actually, I am sick right now, but I have really bad stomach cramping and headaches right now, and I'm not going to school tomorrow, so I am just staying up. It's impossible to sleep when i get these cramps, they are pretty painful and last 5-6 hours. :S But this is distracting me.

Lol, well actually, I am sick right now, but I have really bad stomach cramping and headaches right now, and I'm not going to school tomorrow, so I am just staying up. It's impossible to sleep when i get these cramps, they are pretty painful and last 5-6 hours. :S But this is distracting me.

Awww, I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. :(

Here's a couple pictures of *my* white holland lop with black and brown speckles to cheer you up! :)

MrMilo.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

It's okay, I'm just watching Olympic reruns on TV (my room is downstairs, so I can do whatever. xD) Your bunnies are too cute! This it the one I want, took a picture of her today when I saw her.:
oqackp.jpg

:wave: Goodluck with getting a bunster!

I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. I just bought Archie home one day, set him up in the kitchen and waited for my parents to get home. It kicked off a little bit but then Archie did a huge bunny flop and melted their hearts. :lol:

I was/am 19 though and work full time on a decent wage, my parents have never had to put anything towards him ... and I've also got a second rabbit as well now!

Keep us all updated though and if you ever need any help I'm 100% positive that these wonderful ladies and gents at RU would be willing to help!

Thanks youthnovels! I think I can try the "finding" a lost bunny thing- I've been asking for a long time and it would be a big coincidence if I just happened to find one. I would pay for most of it's expenses, and my dad owes me 60 dollars for grades- I get 10 dollars an A, so I got 6/8 As, the rest Bs, so the initial cost of the bunny could be covered by my dad. I also have money though to buy her treats and toys and stuff. Thanks for the advice- I know some but I will have questions, thanks.

I'm reading up on rabbits now- I am pretty much obsessed with them! I really, really hope I can get one!

Reading up about getting a rabbit is definately a good start.

Have you considered that rabbits are sociable animals and are best kept in pairs where both have been neutered?

To keep an average pair of rabbits they need 36 square feet of space, this roughly works out as a 6 foot x 2 foot hutch with an attatched 6 foot x 4 foot run. Unfortunately a 4 foot x 2 foot hutch is really only suiable to keep a pair of guinea pigs in, it is not big enough for a rabbit of any size.

If you would like some information sheets ARC which is a small animal rescue in the UK uses, please PM me with an email address and I will be happy to send you a copy.

Getting a pair of rabbits is pretty much out of the question- my parents are considering allowing one, but not two. I do have a close friend who has a rabbit, and I can try to introduce them and see if they get along.

Getting a pair of rabbits is pretty much out of the question- my parents are considering allowing one, but not two. I do have a close friend who has a rabbit, and I can try to introduce them and see if they get along.

If you are thinking of introducing a rabbit to another one, they will need to continue to live together and not be constantly separated when one of you goes home with your own rabbit.

Bonding rabbits is something which needs to be done on neutral territory and bringing them together for 'playtime' should not be an option you should visit as it is highly likely to result in serious injury to either one or both of them. This would result in lots of money having to be spent on vet bills and is cruel to the animals concerned.

If rabbits are bonded together they should remain together.

Once I get the first bunny, I'll be really responsible taking care of her, and then maybe they'll let me get another. :D

Ahhh, the age old parent dilemma!

My parents wouldn't ever let me have a pet. They thought I wouldn't look after it too. I was pretty gutted. Until one day, my sister (who is a bit of a stirrer, she seems to enjoy winding my parents up!) came round my house with a baby rabbit in a McDonalds happy meal box! I was away on school camp at the time and I came back to find this gorgeous little bun living in the old caravan in the garden! :lol: Mum and Dad were thinking of giving him away before I got back but they couldn't find anywhere for him to go and I think, when they saw how happy I was, they agreed I could keep him. :love: I spent all my spare time with that rabbit, gradually got more rabbits (and birds, chickens, pigeons, gerbils, mice, hamsters.....) and did everything for them myself.

Of course, I'm not suggesting you bring your bunny home in a happy meal box! :lol:

I think the best thing to do is do your chores, behave yourself, keep researching etc. If it takes a long time and bunny goes to a shelter, make sure you ask the owner which one she's going to and then you can see about getting her from there :)

Back