• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you panacur??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave:

How many times a year do you give panacur to your buns? and is it right to do a 9 day course? 1 section on the syringe? Is it ok to put it on food?

Ive just ordered some more to do all mine at once!

I do mine every 6 months :) I do a 9 day course, but i know there was talks about it all changing :? When i spoke to the vet, he told me to continue doing the 9 day course every 6 months until more is found out about it all.

Its 1 section for every 2.5kg of bunny :)

Same here, a 9 day course every six months. If they showed symptoms obviously I would do a proper course.

I find it best to put it straight in their mouth, they wouldn't eat anything with the paste put on it.

Only when they are showing symptoms that could be EC related.

Highly regarded vet who spoke at RWA conference last year stated that there is no real benefit in worming unless the rabbit is symptomatic.

Highly regarded vet who spoke at RWA conference last year stated that there is no real benefit in worming unless the rabbit is symptomatic.

Ditto to this, my vet says not to use it routinely, there is no benefit.

ah ok... confused now :?:lol:

I must admit my vet has never said to panacur and they are bunny savvy - thats why I started to panic because i have never done my 3 :oops:

Apparently they've now found it's ineffective to worm your buns as a precaution, you'd need to be constantly worming them for it to have a noticeable effect. I don't think any bun fancies being stuck on panacur forever :lol:

I must admit my vet has never said to panacur and they are bunny savvy - thats why I started to panic because i have never done my 3 :oops:

Only time mine have been done was a 4 week course when one had suspected EC and my vets are very bunny savvy :)

ETA I was speaking to my vets the other week about worns in buns and she said of all the buns she has seen she has only ever seen one with worms.

What I posted above was mentioned to me by my vet just after he'd been to a rabbit conference so I'm assuming it's the most up-to date info.

All new intakes ( of which, for me, there will never be any more :cry: ) get a one off 28 day course. This is not repeated unless symptoms of EC develope.

Fenbendazole (the active ingredient in Panacur) can have a negative impact on bone marrow if over-used so my personal opinion is that it should only be used if clinical symptoms dictate after the one off 28 day course.

Also, repeated use could lead to a resistance to Fenbendazole.

Last edited:
I only treat rabbits with symptomatic E.C, but I've been wondering whether rabbits that have access to grass should be routinely treated with Fenbendazole to cover lungworm infection? If nematode infection has been found in both rabbits and hares worldwide, why don't we treat, or do we, and I just don't know about it?

Mine have a 28 day course on arrival and only have further treatments if symptoms show.

Bunnies such as Elwood have a 28 day course every 6 months

i'm glad i read this as i had a reminder recently from my vet for eric's worming course.

i panacured eric and esme in september when they were introduced but as its a total nightmare to get eric to take any meds at all, this thread has saved me some money and lots of stress:)

thank you.

I only treat rabbits with symptomatic E.C, but I've been wondering whether rabbits that have access to grass should be routinely treated with Fenbendazole to cover lungworm infection? If nematode infection has been found in both rabbits and hares worldwide, why don't we treat, or do we, and I just don't know about it?

I dont know about that one :?

Hopefully Marie may see this thread.

That's interesting because I generally don't worm mine unless they show symptoms or they're about to go into holiday boarding.

That's interesting because I generally don't worm mine unless they show symptoms or they're about to go into holiday boarding.

I am sure Marie said on a previous thread that it is better to panacur after they have been boarding, as you can't guarantee that all the other bunnies are EC free so it is better afterwards incase they picked anything up:wave:

i did all my buns when doc had worms 28 days, then did another 9 day course, for all, now i only do doc as hes prone to snuffles, and has worms again since, so only he gets done routinely twice a year now

I do them twice a year together. They are starting their 9-day course tonight actually, I will be injecting paste into carrots this evening :roll:

Back