• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chew Chew Chew

Hessen

Banned
Raisin seems intent on eating his way through the world, starting with a big old cardboard box.

(Raisin with his best The Shining impression...)

043pds.jpg

He's been fed plenty already today.

a) Is this fairly normal destructive behaviour?
b) Is it ok for a Bun to consume that much cardboard?
c) Why must he be so loud?!

I love your bunnies, they make me and my O/H chuckle when ever we read about them.

In answer to your question of course they must be loud...it's more fun that way :)

Not sure about the cardboard, if they are prone to stasis or tummy problems I would probably limit the amount of cardboard they can destroy. Hope this helps :?

I squealed at the picture in your signature. Such cute little faces!! :love:

My girls seem intent on killing the box the tv came in at the moment, which is in their room. We were hoping on keeping it for when we move again buuut, obviously not.
They chew ALOT of cardboard. Doesn't seem to do them any harm but I'm not an expert. Though all poops are normal and no bloated tums. I leave them to it really, but if they get really loud I go and tickle them. Usually stop then.

My two probably eat huge amounts of cardboard, they never seem to have suffered for it. They especialy like amazon boxes, they pull the outer layer off to eat the corrugated bit in the middle.

They always have a cardboard box or house (from cardboard guy) to play in and invariably chew/shred, and whilst they're doing that my walls, skirting board etc are safe.

And yes, they have to be extremely noisy about it especially when...
a) you're on the phone
b) Lost is on TV
c) about 4:30 am when you're trying to sleep in the room above them
or d) you've got a hangover.

Last edited:
This is an online vets advice

Rabbits can ingest paper and wood without problems as long as they don't get too much in the system at one time. The beneficial bacteria in their guts that allows them to get nutrition from hay can also digest the cellulose in twigs and paper, as long as the system doesn't get overwhelmed with volume and cause a blockage.

My rule of thumb is that if a toilet paper roll disappears in less than a week (for an average to large size rabbit), that's too much. For a dwarf I would say two weeks. Since wood is harder and takes more time to chew off bits, it would be pretty difficult for her to eat too much too fast of that.

If she's going through the cardboard too fast, you can of course give her smaller pieces and let a couple of days go by between new pieces. Also, try getting thicker, harder cardboard such as the rolls that come in plastic wrap, or salt canisters. Sometimes you can find small pieces of cardboard concrete forms at home improvement stores that are really thick and hard. She can chew on those but will be hard-pressed to eat them up quickly.

Another approach is to eliminate the "edible" toys for a week or to and increase her hay ration. If she gets used to eating lots of hay rather than chewing cardboard, perhaps you can introduce the regular cardboard toys back to her and she won't be so apt to ingest them when she's full of nice healthy grass hay.

Thanks for being concerned for your companion's wellbeing. If you haven't yet discovered it, the site www.rabbit.org is a wealth of info on all things house rabbit, including FAQs on toys, chewing, and diet.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love: i love the picture..

when alvin was a baby he went through loads of cardboard, he espescially loved the drinks holders from macdonalds...oh and wallpaper :roll:

he dont bother now, he chews my bed instead when hes not feeling too lazy :lol::lol:

a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Because he can.

Count yourself lucky it's only cardboard he's chewing! :roll: Asked my vet as Vinnie eats a ton of the stuff and he said it's fine, if any malteaser output changes to bring her in and mention the cardboard junkie habit.

Back