• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you take your buns on holiday?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I know a few people do and I was wondering about the pros and cons and any advice you might have.

I would love to have a brief holiday at some point but I can't bear to leave the rabbits and was thinking of maybe taking them with me. Obviously it would be UK based and as short a journey as possible. ;)

I guess it depends where and how the buns would react?

I personally couldnt, as i have eight, four pairs.

I am hoping to book a holiday this year for me and my mother, but the cost of boarding i dont know if its an option anymore :(

when mowgli was poorly not last september but september before, we had no warning and i refused to leave him, so we smuggled the buns on holiday into the caravan with us :shock: :lol:, we took the playpen and set it up

the buns loved everyminute of it, they didn't mind the 3-4hour journey they lapped it up, and even enjoyed us stopig for refreshments as they got treats :lol:

some buns don't like travelling but rosie and mowgli did

i have done.. all the way from brum to scotland.. cant travel right now because pearl is too poorly, but before she got ill she tolerated it ok... she hates the journey itself but loved exploring her new room :love::love:

its never really fussed alvin, he wont eat during the journey but as soon as his litter tray is ready at the other end he tucks right in.

infact Alvin was demonic after boarding because of all the other bunnies.. he humped poor pearl solid for what felt like months :shock: but a long journey up the motorway he was fine with :roll::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

not a hint of stasis neither :D

the bunnies travel better than i do.. i am petrified of the motorway and i hate every second...

before travel i give about a week of avipro just to have them at thier peak.. and i think theres that bach remedy stuff some people use before travel too

here are photos of my bunnies holiday :lol:

058.jpg

057.jpg

034.jpg

i moved 2 single beds into a double then added the playpen wires around the edges and made the bunnies holiday home

042.jpg

We took them on our last holiday - but it was to the in-laws & we took the hutch & run with us :oops: I think it caused their neighbours some amusement when we turned up with a van full!:roll:

They were fine with the travelling (although we discovered we needed a bigger carrier for Willow & Brownie cos Brownie takes all the space when she flops out!). We did get disapproval while we were there as the weather was terrible.

I used to take Muppet away for weekends at my parents' house (a four hour journey) and once to a friend's. He never got happy with the travelling unfortunately.

He liked being somewhere new with the safety of me being there too, though I would say he never really relaxed in the new environment and yet he obviously had lots of fun too. (Really relaxed isnt normal for Muppet anyway, even at home he's too alert/inquisitive to chill out the way I've heard some other buns do!)

Thanks all :)

Lisa your bunnies look like they were having a grand time :D :D

My parents and sister often go away to a holiday cottage so if I can find one that doesn't mind pets I would like to go with them sometime - should be plenty of room for a bunny pen!

my buns come to gloucester with me and stay at mums they love going and sometimes i come back one pair short!!! as mum sortv shares coco and kitty with me so they sometimes stay longer last time was sooo funny as they were all coming back and as mum tried to put arthur in the carrier he was clinging to her...he really wanted to stay!!!! (may i add mum and dad have a much bigger garden than me a more regimented bunny routine and lots of bunny friendly plants that they love!!!! )
daft bunsters they cope fine with the journey which traffic depending is between 1.5hours and 3hours usually.

Back