• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lettuce & cucumber-safe food?

clare22

Young Bun
Sorry if this has been covered before but I am abit confused :roll: Is it safe to feed my 2 rabbits on lettuce & cucumber? I have fed them the occasional lettuce leaf but I usually throw cucumber away when it is passed it`s best,I hate throwing food away especially if my 2 buns can eat it.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I am abit confused :roll: Is it safe to feed my 2 rabbits on lettuce & cucumber? I have fed them the occasional lettuce leaf but I usually throw cucumber away when it is passed it`s best,I hate throwing food away especially if my 2 buns can eat it.

please dont ever feed your bunny lettuce it can be dangerouse and cause them to have the runs! i do feed cucumber to mine but very rarely as its a wet food and can cause upset tummies.

on another note, if the food i feed my buns i wouldnt eat myself then the bunnies dont get it either it goes in the bin. not worth the risk in my opinion!

I agree, you wouldn't feed it to them because it's past it's sell by date and to save wasting it, bunnies tums are possibly more sensitive than yours so only feed what you would eat yourself when dealing with fresh food. Cucumber can be fed in very small amounts and can be a good way of hydrating a bunny who won't drink. I wouldn't feed more than small chunk a couple of times a week though and even then I chop it into smaller bits with some celery as a sprinkle topping for a spring green leaf. I would avoid lettuce if possible aswell and stick to green leafy veg like spring greens, watercress is a good one too.:wave:

Oh no, what I`m trying to say is I always end up throwing cucumber away as it never gets eaten in time.I would`nt feed my rabbits on anything I would`nt eat myself :wave:

romaine lettuce is ok :D i give 2 chunks of cucumber and two leaves of Romaine daily now because i want to keep water going into my pair. Pearl because of the diruetics shes on and Alvin because i dont think he drinks enough and he is prone to stasis. im sure its iceburg lettuce thats a big no-no from what ive read online

I agree with no lettuce but mine have cucumber most days as B has alot of wet veg ,as discussed with vet,to help with her cystitis.They dont have any problems with it.:D

Iceberg is a no-no but I've fed round and romaine lettuce without any problems, in various buns. Cucumber in my experience is fine too. :)

Thanks for all your advice. I do look these things up on the internet but one website said no to cabbage but when I took my dog to the vets,on the wall was a poster about rabbit care and it said `savoy` cabbage was fine.It`s alot easier and quicker to ask everyone on this forum!!! :love:

I avoid lettuce as it gives mine the runs, although I know she loves the stuff.
It just isn't worth the mucky bum in my opinion and like humans I'm sure having runny poo is going to dehydrate the poor bunnies like it does us, so giving it to re-hydrate them seems daft.
Mine wont touch cucumber however so I have no idea how it will affect her.

Is it the whole of the cucumber? Or just the middle part? You give to your bunnies :)

Id like to give my bunnies some more choice in the fresh food section, so just wanted to check :)

I`ve just given my buns some cucumber and they love it.Hi footballgirl :wave: I gave a slice of the whole thing not just the middle part.Do you buy carrots with the tops on,they love that aswell!!

Last edited:
List says its ok to feed lavendar, I have this in my garden. Does anyone feed this to their buns & is it ok to give both the leaves & flowers?

Back