• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you take a rabbit on a train???

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
I am supposed to be picking Kylo up this Saturday, but my car has died :( I really want to go get him, so wondering if i could catch a train??

anyone done this before? how stressed to they get vs a car??

I've taken Ted on the train before. He just sat on my lap the whole journey, happy as larry.

....I wouldn't advise it if Kylo's a nervous bun. There are lots of loud noises.

Please tell me that Ted walks everywhere on a lead. That would make my day!

He doesn't go in a carrier ;) He has his pink harness on, but gets carried everywhere...lazy bum. (I wouldn't let him walk near other people/dogs/rubbish)

He does walk to heel in the countryside though! ;) We walked to collect Ol from Nursery once! :lol::lol:

He doesn't go in a carrier ;) He has his pink harness on, but gets carried everywhere...lazy bum. (I wouldn't let him walk near other people/dogs/rubbish)

He does walk to heel in the countryside though! ;) We walked to collect Ol from Nursery once! :lol::lol:

I imagine you got a few strange looks :lol:

Grim has been on the train quite a few times from Norwich to Manchester and back when I visit my parents. And I picked Smoo up on the train, took her from Sheffield to Manchester and the next day from Manchester to Norwich. :)

They were both fine. Sometimes Grim thumps and makes a huge fuss until I give him cuddles, but I trust him enough to know he won't jump out of the carrier and disappear. The journey is about eight hours and mostly they just sleep. Both of mine seem to prefer it to the car.

I've always wanted a bunny that would walk on a lead!

You're so lucky. :)

so the only problem is station noise? if i covered the carrier with a towel or blanket would that cut enough noise out?

Cookie's been from Edinburgh to Liverpool by car and from Glasgow to Preston by train and he was much more relaxed travelling by train. At the start of his train journey I covered the front of his carrier with a towel but he kept jumping around so I uncovered it to check on him and he was much happier without it - I think it'll depend on the bun :D

Vikki we are collecting Felicity on Sunday from Becky so can easily pick your bunny up too :wave:

OMG that would be AWESOME!!! That would make life soooooo much easier, thank you thank you thank you!!!! I can easily come get him from you on Sunday or sometime next week, whenever suits you.

You are a star!!! (ooh, and i can meet Flick?!)

OMG that would be AWESOME!!! That would make life soooooo much easier, thank you thank you thank you!!!! I can easily come get him from you on Sunday or sometime next week, whenever suits you.

You are a star!!! (ooh, and i can meet Flick?!)

We are collecting them late morning so if you want to come over late afternoon/ early evening to get him thats great :wave: Can you organise it with Becky?

It depends very much on the location and time of day.

On a quiet train, on a route with few or no changes, I think it would be fine. Ideally stay in the waiting room or similar of the station to minimise noise while you wait - the noise of through trains going past scares ME sometimes so a little bunny would be terrified.

Also if the train is packed you will have difficulties...the train I usually get is always jammed full of people, I often find myself standing in the vestibule pressed right up against other people and struggling to breathe let alone find room for a rabbit carrier :? we often turn people away at stations cos there is physically no room on the train

Maybe try the journey out first and/or seek info on how busy/noisy it will be. Its def ok in theory though:)

Back