• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 quick questions :D Edit: Can hay cause gas??

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Need help on two things:

Fudge had skin mites, she got an injection from the vet and i was given stuff to put on the back of her neck for the following 2 applications. Its been a week and a half since her last application of the invermectin and she is still itching, although not as much, i still have loads of the invermectin left (vet gave me extra) should i give her one more application and if it doesnt work take her back to the vet, or should i just take her back to the vet the now?

Also for the past 2 nights Fudge has had really bad gas. I gave her metacam and gripe water and within 1 1/2 hours she was fine. She hasnt had any new food and she hasnt eaten anything she shouldnt so what could have caused the gas? She is still moulting heavy just now could that be the problem? Its just strange!

Any help very much appreciated :wave::wave::wave:

Last edited:
Ive just remembered i bought Burns green oat hay the other day for Fudge (shes had it before but not in a few months) and its been since giving her that, that shes had gas!!

Can it be the hay causing the gas and will it stop eventually? Its the only hay she really eats and it would be a shame not to give her it :(

I never thought hay could cause gas in a rabbit!!? :?

Hi, I'm no expert on gas in bunnies but I guess anything new could cause a problem.

I'm never quite sure what Green oat "hay" is, as for me Hay is dried grasses - meadow hay from land permanently laid to grass and seed hay a crop from grass seeds sown year to year, presumably Oat hay is young oat shoots, cut and dried therefore would have a different make up to plain grass hay so if the digestive enzymes to digest oat "hay" aren't there then maybe it could cause gas.

Back