• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good baby food flavours...

BunMom

Alpha Buck
...for getting meds into bun/getting them to eat?

I just got back from the vet with Brownie. He wouldn't come out this morning for his breakfast and that is definitely a sign that something is wrong:( He is normally a little piggy. Anyway, he's had fluids and metacam, I still need to give him the metaclop and Supreme recovery but he get's so stressed out it seems almost counter-productive:cry: I thought I would try some baby food and see if I could get him to take his meds that way. I just didn't know if a fruit one would be okay, or carrot? It seems like they would both be high in sugars and don't know whether they would cause more harm than good:? Any suggestions?

Ahh, Bubbles has done the same to me this morning!!

I use Ella's baby food bananas and apples in small amounts to keep weight on my old bun, he loves it. The others are quite partial to it too!

When mine aren't eating, I'll do anything to get them going again, and just keep it in tiny tiny amounts to get them interested again. I would have thought if you mixed meds with a little of it with a little that would be ok??

I did try this with Wispa a couple of months ago and its like she has a special radar for the meds and still says no- so unfortunately I had to keep fighting with the syringe.

Alfie is currently having his baytril disguised in a teeny tiny amount of Ella's kitchen carrot, parsnip and apple flavour - he's none the wiser and thinks he's special because Bubbles doesn't get any. :lol::lol:

:wave:Thank you! I may have to try the banana and apple...he does love both! On a good note, he did eat some parsley and coriander so I am just hoping for poos now:mrgreen:

I hope Bubbles is feeling better now too:)

Sorry to interject but we had to resort to force-feeding one of our rabbits a few days ago and rang our vets and got through to the emergency vets as it was out-of-hours who told us to buy cauliflower cheese baby food. We did and we fed it but surely that’s a bad choice of flavor? Are rabbits really allowed dairy products?
087.gif
Were we told wrong?

Yup as others have said the Ella's kitchen range is awesome :love: they also do a range of smaller pouches that have slightly thinner purée in which they call smoothies. Massive range of flavours, I get the apple and bananas or the strawberry and apple flavours normally, did buy some of the smoothie ones but got curious and drank them myself:oops: I did share a bit tho and both buns love every flavour I have got so far!!!

Agree with Ella's Kitchen suggestion, the smoothies are favourites here to make bunny biscuits with!

Sorry to interject but we had to resort to force-feeding one of our rabbits a few days ago and rang our vets and got through to the emergency vets as it was out-of-hours who told us to buy cauliflower cheese baby food. We did and we fed it but surely that’s a bad choice of flavor? Are rabbits really allowed dairy products?
087.gif
Were we told wrong?

No, they aren't :?

Sorry to read about these poorly bunnies.

Friend of mine used carrot puree.

When boris had gs, we got his meds down by making a porridge out of his normal pellets. Hot water on the pellets, let them dissolve a bit and cool down and add meds to that. He loved it.

Good luck. Hope they all feel better very soon.

087.gif
Were we told wrong?

No, they aren't :?

Wonder why on earth an emergency vet would suggest it then? What can dairy products do to rabbits? I actually ate up the rest of the jar last night myself and it was very creamy and had rice in it.
105.gif

Wonder why on earth an emergency vet would suggest it then? What can dairy products do to rabbits? I actually ate up the rest of the jar last night myself and it was very creamy and had rice in it.
105.gif

Unfortunately, a lot of emergency vets aren't necessarily exotics, and so non-rabbit savvy :(

Ellas Kitchen fruit ones seems to be the favourites from what i can tell.

You'd have thought a dog/cat vet would have some common sense though. I thought it was a weird suggestion, my mum did, that flavour wouldn't have been our choice, surely someone who's studied at uni for years would know better.

You'd have thought a dog/cat vet would have some common sense though. I thought it was a weird suggestion, my mum did, that flavour wouldn't have been our choice, surely someone who's studied at uni for years would know better.

Unfortunately, rabbits are classed under 'exotics' so anyone who doesnt train in 'exotics' wont necessarily know the ins and outs of rabbits and the dos/donts. Doesn't mean they aren't an excellent vet though :)

Back