• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petition for Rabbit Residence, Royston - U/D

PomandRi

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

I know that there have been loads of posts and threads over the past few months about the Rabbit Residence at Royston and its planning application but things have not been going well.

Here is a link to the original story:-

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206895&highlight=residence

Unfortunately, the parish council have decided to recommend that the application be rejected. However, the final decision is with the district council and they meet next week. Caroline wants to present as strong a case as possible and wants 1,000 signatures on her petition - it currently stands at about 850.

If there is anyone who hasn't signed, please, please would you sign now and try and push the signatures over the 1,000 mark. Or if you have signed and you can pass this message on to others who might sign, please do so.

Last edited:
I don't remember if J & I signed already. I think I did, but I'm sure I can get others to sign :wave:

]I don't remember if J & I signed already. I think I did, but I'm sure I can get others to sign :wave:

If you could it would be wonderful. Caroline needs 150 new signatures in a week. :shock:

Thanks so much guys. I have noticed that the number of signatures is increasing at a rate of knots. Yay, we're going to get to 1,000, keep it up everyone! :D

Just a quick update - the number of signatures now stands at 1,131 which means almost 300 people signed it in the last 24 hours and which takes the number well beyond the 1,000 that Caroline had hoped for.

Thank you so much to everyone who signed ... and to all of you who added it to Facebook.

I will keep you informed of any progress - if Libby or one of Caroline's other supporters doesn't get there first!

Thanks again everyone, you are lovely people.:D

i have signed this.

However (and I know this is going to make me unpopular) I feel it would have been better if the wording had actually addressed some of the issues on which the planning decision will be made.

Just saying that something is generally ' a good thing' will not sway planning officials who have to make decisions on the basis of planning guidelines, local strategy, planning regulations etc.

To use an analogy: most people agree that alternative energy sources are 'a good thing' but time and time again windfarms, bioactivaters etc etc get turned down at planning because people use the planning guidelines to argue that the site itself is inapproariate. No amount of signatures agreeing that they are generally ' a good thing' will change those decisions about the actual site location.

I suspect even the people that have objected to Caroline's rescue site would agree that rabbit rescue is generally 'a good thing', but they are presumably using the planning guidelines to argue it should not be located where it is.
It would therefore help a lot if we knew on what BASIS Caroline's planning application had been rejected so we could address that issue in the petition.

just trying to be helpful . . .

i have signed this.

However (and I know this is going to make me unpopular) I feel it would have been better if the wording had actually addressed some of the issues on which the planning decision will be made.

Just saying that something is generally ' a good thing' will not sway planning officials who have to make decisions on the basis of planning guidelines, local strategy, planning regulations etc.

To use an analogy: most people agree that alternative energy sources are 'a good thing' but time and time again windfarms, bioactivaters etc etc get turned down at planning because people use the planning guidelines to argue that the site itself is inapproariate. No amount of signatures agreeing that they are generally ' a good thing' will change those decisions about the actual site location.

I suspect even the people that have objected to Caroline's rescue site would agree that rabbit rescue is generally 'a good thing', but they are presumably using the planning guidelines to argue it should not be located where it is.
It would therefore help a lot if we knew on what BASIS Caroline's planning application had been rejected so we could address that issue in the petition.

I agree, they need to be challenged on specific grounds. The grounds for the rejection are shown on the council's website.

http://www.greatchishillpc.com/pc-minutes.html

The relevant piece is in Section 5 regarding Planning.

i have signed this.

Everyone - I think that the issue that Parsnip has raised is a valid and relevant issue. And thank you to Snouter for posting a link to the draft parish council minutes in which the reasons for rejecting Caroline's planning application are outlined. The sad thing is that Caroline has tried really hard to address these issues and these objections are largely ongoing issues with local residents who just don't want the rescue to be there and who are going to continually raise objections.

However, could I suggest that the best way for someone to provide a constructive rebuttal of the district council's rejection of the planning application would be to write to the district council outlining the reasons why they feel that the decision is erroneous. This would require some knowledge of what Caroline has done over the past couple of years to try and overcome the problems raised by the residents and to meet the conditions that were imposed upon her following her initial planning application. However, if anyone does have this knowledge and can do this, it would be a very strong argument in Caroline's favour. The address is the Planning Department, South Cambridgeshire District Council, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridgeshire, CB23 6EA and I understand that the planning committee is meeting next Wednesday (3rd) so any letter would have to be received by then.

When Greenfields was threatened with closure by the council, a thread was started here. Below is the link as it might contain some useful ideas.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75517&highlight=Greenfields+Rescue+planning

Has Caroline had professional advice on the planning appeal?

Thanks for this link:

I presume that someone on here will know what professional advice Caroline has onboard.

From the complaints I would presume what she would be looking to present would be a management report for the future of the site outlining commitments to tackle the issues:

A voluntary enforcable agreement re-parking and access:
A demonstrable commitment to hiring in a professional company for waste removal on an agreed regular basis;
Setting up of a management structure for the rescue (presumably including setting up a Trust or some such);

The site is quite large and although I personally would welcome having a huge rabbit rescue backing onto my garden, not everyone is going to feel happy about it, and its really up to Caroline to try and address people's concerns. (Harsh but realistic). Don't forget Sally Machell at Watford was closed down under similar planning concerns (although the residents had alternative and underhand motives in that case).

Is Caroline one of the largest (in terms of numbers) rescues in the country? Has anyone else got over 100 rabbits on one site? If so they might be able to give advice on some of these issues.

(probably still verging on unpopular here . . . :oops::oops:)

I have read the other posts on this thread and would like to offer the following contribution for consideration. I am only trying to be helpful, do not want to interfere and do not want to make myself unpopular with others. I am more than happy to be corrected on any aspect.

On the Council website, the Minutes state (my emphasis):

S/1930/08/F Land South West of Wallers Close, Mr D Collings, Removal of Condition 1 to allow permanent use as a rabbit sanctuary.

The Clerk read out a letter from residents of Wallers Close which illustrated their concerns about the planning application. A discussion took place as to the past and current problems associated with the rabbit sanctuary. It was unanimously decided to recommend refusal for this application due to reasons including the traffic and parking issues in Wallers Close (as reported and hi-lighted by Mr Rutland from the housing department), problems associated with waste and its removal, the size and management structure of the site and the fact that these issues have been causing problems for three years and never improve.

It was noted that no member of the Collings family was present to present their case for the Planning Permission.

On the Rabbit Residence's own website, the situation is described somewhat differently.

http://bunniestotherescue.blogspot.com/2010/02/save-rescue-2010.html

The following is an extract.

As friends of the Rescue will be aware, we have been required annually to re-apply for planning permission to remain on our current site. This is largely due to our proximity to (and access through) a residential area.

Recently, in preparation for the current application, we contacted the local residents and asked them to let us know of any concerns they had so that we could address them. Most of the people we spoke to were very positive. The only concern we encountered was with the way in which waste was removed from the site and as a result we implemented a new system which eliminated all of the problems highlighted.

So having met the conditions of last years planning approval (limiting the vehicles on site in number and to volunteers only, visitors only on Saturday and only appointment etc) and addressing the only concerns expressed to us by the local residents, we were understandably surprised to hear that the Parish Council decided to recommend that the application this year be denied.

These improvements are all set out in detail in Caroline's application to the council.

http://scambs.jdi-consult.net/devcon/pa.php?paid=144197

The areas of concern expressed by the council were:

• traffic and parking
  • waste disposal
  • management
  • lack of improvement over three years

In her proposals, Caroline appears to have addressed each one of these areas.

She has restricted traffic and access times.

Volunteers on the site are limited, visitors can only visit on Saturdays and are told to park in the village car park and walk, waste disposal is undertaken once a week in quiet periods.

I am not a lawyer but believe that residents of a street only have the "right" to unhindered access to their property to/from the public highway. They do not have the "right" to make the street outside their house their "personal parking space" for themselves and their friends and cannot limit others from using the street to access their properties. (I happen to live near a school and the street becomes a massive car park at least twice a day. People just accept this and live with any personal inconvenience at these times. The users are not residents and simply park here because it is convenient to go to/from the school with their children. This is orders of magnitude greater than any amount of traffic that a rabbit rescue could generate).

She has improved waste disposal procedures.

Regular collection using a covered vehicle.

She has improved the management of the site.

Traffic, waste, buildings and storage.

She has made a number of improvements over the three years indicated.

Furthermore, she has consulted with her neighbours regarding any concerns they may have and sought to address them. I note that no mention of this fact was made in the council minutes. A letter from the residents of Wallers Close was mentioned but its precise contents were not minuted. As a formal piece of minuted correspondence, a copy of this letter should be made available and should have been provided to Caroline for her to comment upon it.

Were, I wonder, the objections in the letter consistent with those advised to Caroline previously when she sought the views of her neighbours? Alternatively, were the objections just part of a series of "progressive" complaints to get rid of the rescue so that as each one was dealt with a "new complaint" was created? I see that "traffic and parking" and "waste management" have already been used. Then, when the electricity failed and required a temporary generator, a "noise complaint" suddenly appeared.

I also believe that, when objecting to a planning application, the council advises those that wish to object that their identity will be placed in the public domain. Is it known how many people actually objected, who they are and whether they were among those that Caroline sought to consult?

As, I believe, these are "draft" minutes, perhaps they could be challenged as an inaccurate record of the facts? They cannot be claimed to be an accurate record of the facts. They are not accurate on the basis of the submissions that Caroline had already made prior to the council meeting.

On the basis of the application, Caroline appears to have done all that could reasonably be expected of her (and more) in order to minimise the impact of the rescue on its neighbours and to be a "good neighbour". If you look at the photographs accompanying the application, the rescue is barely even visible from the houses. In most areas I think that she and the rescue would be viewed as exemplary occupants of the land and welcomed accordingly. In comparison to other uses to which the land could possibly be put, occupation by 100 rabbits is a much better outcome for the residents.

I believe that, at the next meeting with the council, Caroline could claim that she has done everything that could "reasonably" be expected of her in minimising the impact of the rescue and addressing those concerns of her neighbours of which she has been made aware.

If any RU -ers are themselves, or have contacts who are, planning officers, then I think that they would be able to provide more definitive guidance.

I apologise for this long post and hope that it is of assistance.

Last edited:
i have signed this.

Everyone - I think that the issue that Parsnip has raised is a valid and relevant issue. And thank you to Snouter for posting a link to the draft parish council minutes in which the reasons for rejecting Caroline's planning application are outlined. The sad thing is that Caroline has tried really hard to address these issues and these objections are largely ongoing issues with local residents who just don't want the rescue to be there and who are going to continually raise objections.

However, could I suggest that the best way for someone to provide a constructive rebuttal of the district council's rejection of the planning application would be to write to the district council outlining the reasons why they feel that the decision is erroneous. This would require some knowledge of what Caroline has done over the past couple of years to try and overcome the problems raised by the residents and to meet the conditions that were imposed upon her following her initial planning application. However, if anyone does have this knowledge and can do this, it would be a very strong argument in Caroline's favour. The address is the Planning Department, South Cambridgeshire District Council, South Cambridgeshire Hall, Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridgeshire, CB23 6EA and I understand that the planning committee is meeting next Wednesday (3rd) so any letter would have to be received by then.

I have sent an email to the South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) and sought to cover all of the relevant points. It refers to the SCDC planning documents and the Parish Council minutes of the meeting at which the application was originally refused. It's basically a point by point rebuttal, demonstrates why it is erroneous plus provides detailed references to what Caroline has done to overcome the residents' concerns. I have also set out why, in my opinion, the Rabbit Residence rescue is one of the finest rescues in the UK and the numerous essential contributions it makes to the care, welfare and re-homing of rabbits.

I really hope that it has the desired effect and that Caroline gets her planning application approved.

If others want to copy bits of my letter for their own letters then I would be delighted to put the basic text of my letter to SCDC on this thread.

If so, please just reply on the thread and I will do so.

If people want to send their own letters I think they would have to be emails in order to get there in time prior to the SCDC meeting on Wednesday. Fortunately SCDC have provided the relevant email contact details on their website so it's easy to do.

Last edited:
I signed the petition a few days ago and have just read through Snouter's posts about this case - very interesting. I now hope even more than did before that Caroline wins planning permission.

Snouter if you could put your letter on here, I will try and send a similar email to SCDC in time for Wednesday.

Back