• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, bloated bunny!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
This morning my 9 month old neutered male Timmy and his recently bonded rescued spayed female friend Mimi had a little fight, which is very unusual. I know this can be a sign that one of them may have the onset of an illness so I checked them over. Mimi seems fine but Timmys belly feels bloated. Im so worried because he has had this before and it was the onset of GI stasis. The positive side is he's eating and drinking normally and is active, whereas last time he wasn't eating or drinking, was very listless and grinding his teeth loudly. I've started him on a couple of days course of Metacloperamide (which he was prescribed before and which did the trick nicely) and have given him some fresh pineapple. I have decided not to rush him to the vet just yet as he does seem well other than the bloating (which could just be a chubby belly??) and he gets very stressed out going there which can make things worse.
I might just be freaking out because a few months ago I lost my beloved Tilly, Timmys former girlfriend, to this very thing. It was devastating. She was fine one day, then the next stopped eating and pooping. I took her to the vet straight away but by the end of the day she had died in my arms. I can't go through that again.
I don't understand why 2 of my rabbits have had this?? Their diet is mostly fresh hay which they love, half a handful of pellets in the mornings and fresh greens. I avoid cabbage and lettuce as I know these can cause bloating. They have fresh water in a bowl and a bottle available all the time. I also groom them daily. Has anyone any ideas on this?? It's eating me up because I blame myself.
Has anyone had rabbits with similar symptoms and it has turned out to be something else causing them?
Thankyou,
Gemma, Timmy and Mimi

I think that you really need to get Timmy examined by a Vet.
Whilst Metoclopromide *might* be appropriate, it should only be given after a proper examination has been carried out. There are circumstances in which Metoclopromide is contraindicated eg if the stomach is bloated due to an obstruction. Also, Timmy my require pain relief.

I would take him to your Vet today

Good luck

Thankyou. He seems to be alot livelier now, he's doing his usual laps of the flat at high speed. I'll feel his belly again and see how it feels. Any other advise on preventing this that I'm not already doing?

I called my vet and he says as he's eatin, drinking, pooping as normal and is active that it is not urgent that he see him today. I've got an appointment tommorrow. I hope he's ok, he's my baby boy :(

Did your vet mention some pain relief??? If Timmy is grinding his teeth, he may be in pain.
May I suggest you give your vet another ring??

Timmys not grinding his teeth and is in great spirits so I know he's not in pain, am just abit worried about the seemingly bloated belly. Going to the vets in a couple of hours, Ill let you know what they say.
I feed Timmy and Mimi greens once in the morning and once again around 6 when they are really active. Each time I give them a couple of handfuls of greens, a mixture of whatever I have in for them, washed well and still wet. Am i feeding too much/too little do you think?
After losing Tilly to GI stasis 2 months ago, I asked my vet what I was doing wrong, desperate to fix it. He said it sounded like I was doing everything well, and suggested maybe keeping my flat cool as if the're too warm it can dehydrate them inside abit. So I'm doing that now (bit of a pain as I live in a ski resort surrounded by snow, but they're worth it!) I dont know what else to try, ANY suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks guys this is great xx :wave:

If the poo is normal after the greens, with no diarrhoea, it doesn't sound as if its too much. Hope you get on okay at the vets

Good news! I was just being the paranoid mother. He's absolutely fine, no obstructions or stasis, temperatures normal, not even any bloating (think he may have just got a little rounder as he's growing ;)
I guess losing Tilly is still very raw and has wounded me deep down.
Anyway, alls good and better safe than sorry I say :p

Back