• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks?

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Vinnie has a bit of a baldy patch on one of her hocks. She's been sitting funny recently (with EC) and must've been resting on her heels at some point. I was at the vet on Monday but only noticed it last night. It's not bleeding or scabbed, just pink and looking a bit tender. What can I do to make her more comfortable?
From reading past threads, she has a thick layer of hay on the floor. I'm a bit reluctant to put fleece down as she's having incontinence problems and I can imagine I'd be washing fleece ten times a day. :roll: I did put tea tree cream (natural antiseptic) on her foot but apparently this isn't advisable?

ETA - the floor of her cage is covered in layers of cardboard, the room she free-ranges in is laminate with a rug, and her places to sit (under the table and my exercise bike :roll:) both have towels.

Last edited:
Vinnie has a bit of a baldy patch on one of her hocks. She's been sitting funny recently (with EC) and must've been resting on her heels at some point. I was at the vet on Monday but only noticed it last night. It's not bleeding or scabbed, just pink and looking a bit tender. What can I do to make her more comfortable?
From reading past threads, she has a thick layer of hay on the floor. I'm a bit reluctant to put fleece down as she's having incontinence problems and I can imagine I'd be washing fleece ten times a day. :roll: I did put tea tree cream (natural antiseptic) on her foot but apparently this isn't advisable?

i could have asked this too, i have laminate floor everywhere, and have put a large fleece down in Tinks enclosure to give her a break from the hard floor, i noticed a sore bit on one hock yesterday, where her fur had knotted on the back of her leg and been pulled away a little, i managed to trim the fur around it and i've left it alone so far today. i've heard sudocream is good for this..? i don't have any of that but i do have some bepanthen here that i used to heal my tattoo.. anyone know if that will be acceptable?

I have fuciderm in the house from a scabby problem before but don't know if that's suitable for hocks. Waiting for the vet to open :lol:

All I'd suggest is the fleece or a thick covering of hay. :? Could you have a few fleeces that you use in rotation. She doesn't need them everywhere...just somewhere to sit, away from the floor.

Poor Vin :(

I have one fleece and about 20 towels, she has a couple in her cage but is more interested in sitting in her litter tray. Another trip to Asda for a cheap fleece!

Several good rabbit vets advise against putting cream on the hocks unless the skin is broken, or the problem is due to the bunny sitting in it's wee (amoniacle dermatitis = severe nappy rash on the feet when sudafed is good, along with sorting out litter arrangements). The reason is that the surrounding fur is helping to cushion the bald area & creams tend to flatten it.

It's a case of cushioning to improve weight distribution - (blankets fleece etc). Attention to nail length is important too. Long nails tend to make the bun tilt back & put more weight on the hock. Encouraging mobility helps but may not be possible with EC.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

ETA thanks to the post below - yes it's sudocream

Last edited:
Several good rabbit vets advise against putting cream on the hocks unless the skin is broken, or the problem is due to the bunny sitting in it's wee (amoniacle dermatitis = severe nappy rash on the feet when sudafed is good, along with sorting out litter arrangements). The reason is that the surrounding fur is helping to cushion the bald area & creams tend to flatten it.

It's a case of cushioning to improve weight distribution - (blankets fleece etc). Attention to nail length is important too. Long nails tend to make the bun tilt back & put more weight on the hock. Encouraging mobility helps but may not be possible with EC.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Sudocream! ;)

Thanks for the advice :wave: She is currently peeing all down her legs at times as her bladder control isn't the best at the moment. I put a fleece and towels down to pad the area out a bit and she's still sitting in her litter tray :roll:

She's resting on her hocks as she dosen't want to put any weight on her feel, is trying to rest on her tailbone and rubbing the hocks. :( She's een a bit better today but still sitting funny.

I don't know if sudafed would help! :lol:

Sorry, I wasn't being serious, I guess it came across wrong :lol:

I have sudocream a plenty in the house. Trying to keep her as dry as possible. Thanks for the link. :wave:

Sorry, I wasn't being serious, I guess it came across wrong :lol:

I have sudocream a plenty in the house. Trying to keep her as dry as possible. Thanks for the link. :wave:

No the problem's me! I'm bushed tonight. Even Thumper's telling me to go to bed!!

Back