• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What the heck is this? Any ideas? (PIC)

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
Saffy has had a bald spot on the top of her head on her lop-ear cartlidge for a while now. I had her at the vet's and the area appeared healthy. The vet figured maybe her husbun overgroomed the area or something innocent like that. Everytime I check it I can see the hair growing back, but then Lloyd goes back and grooms her head again and nothing really grows enough to fill it in!
Well, I checked it again today and saw the strangest thing. There is a brown spot that seems to be growing little course hairs across her head and not out from it. Does that make sense? They look like those mole hairs that humans sometimes get. It's hard to tell if the skin beneath those dark hairs is dark also or not.
Saffy is due back at the vet for a tooth trim so I will have her looked at but I wanted to post a pic for opinions anyway. It's so weird. Oh, and the entire bare area is about 2cm X 2cm.

P1010005.jpg

Last edited:
I've no idea what it is but I do remember a Dr saying humans often get those large, slightly raised moles in areas of the body that get rubbed by clothing eg. the back of the neck where a shirt rubs. Maybe rabbits get the same thing by having a vigorous licking on the same area?

Could be a reaction to the overgrooming.
Wonder if it's worth putting something smelly on the fur around that area to discourage him from that spot - same as we put horrible stuff on kids nails to stop them biting them.
Have to make sure it was safe though!

Back