• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think is safe for a bunny and a budgie

I've heard of bunnies travelling long distances, but I'm not sure I'd risk the budgie.
Mine had a heart attack after being taken down the road to the vets.
I'd try a bird forum to see if there is some good advice on how/if to do it.

my fiance had 4 but got 2 now coz the other two passed away from old age and i know they get stressed soo easyly and i belive they can died from little shock but i dont know much on them my fiance do.

I keep birds, I'm not sure I'd want any of my smaller birds to travel that far. Although having said that, I know in America, birds can be sent through the post! A lot of people buy day old chicks in their hundreds and most arrive safe and well after three days in the postal system. :shock: So I guess they must be tougher than I give them credit for!

Can you get in touch with the airline and ask how noisy/cold etc it is in the hold? And ask if anyone can check on them during the flight? (I assume there's a way into the hold from the inside of the plane?!). I know when there's livestock on board, they are supposed to turn the heating on for them. I remember watching one of those airport programs on the TV and a shipment of reptiles came in dead because they'd forgotten to keep the hold warm. :shock: If it's warm and not too noisy, I'd try it. Providing budgie is in a nice secure cage with light (18 hours of dark is not good for birdies) and a food and water supply that won't spill on takeoff. Same for bunny I guess. If she's a laidback bun, I should think she'd be ok. Maybe start giving bunny access to it's travel box now so it smells familiar, it'll help keep stress levels down if it feels kind of like home. Get both vet checked before you go and when you land to make sure they're fit and well.

i've never been on a quiet aircraft! Think my bunnies would get pretty scared iwth the noise but all bunies are different. where are you flying to? are you sure they would be allowed in the cabin? I remember when i was little we flew from london to scotland, only a few hours at most with my cat in the cabin.. she meowed all the way there.

:wave: I flew my bunnies from Colorado to Europe. They had to fly in the cargo area though:( Honestly, I thought they would be far more stressed than they actually were. They recovered more quickly than I did:lol:
I don't know about the Budgie though.
Where are you thinking of moving?

Not sure that we are really moving yet. It is just a possibility. A job offer. We are looking into it and my first concerns are my "babies". I looked it up and it said certain airlines they could fly in the cabin and the process of letting them into the country isn't too bad. I did discover that there are no direct flights so it would take 2 days to get there. The cost of living seems very high also so we are thinking no now.

Back