• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am deeply upset about Roland.Update....ADMITTED TO VETS

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
I only picked him up yesterday.I noticed he ate only a very little over the last day.Drank nothing at all.So I took him to my wonderful vet.
Ian checked him over.Heart.is fine...etc then Ian looked in his mouth and Roland has a "Wave" mouth..or a "step" mouth...requiring a dental next week!!!!!!!!!!! Ian prescribed metacam and bio lapis, which I am syringing.Hes not eaten a thing of his dinner or drank.I counted out 60 excel and some herbs.100mls of water.Nada.
Hes running about and pooping...but that is all.
I went to the rescue centre and they claimed they knew nothing!!! Yet an animal that leaves there with problems will have them all paid for..providing I go to their vet.And Ive heard his rep.Im not a happy bunny.Plus they didnt spot this problem.He would have starved.He also has a very sore tongue....not ulcerated yet.......
Im a bit cross to say the least.

Last edited:
Poor Roland, at least he's getting the treatment he needs.

I got Dandelion from the local RSCPA and as soon as I got home I noticed he was struggling to eat so off to my vet and he had dental under GA. He was only neutered the week before so why couldn't they have done a dental? I complained but the 4 week Petplan they gave wouldn't cover dentals. It wasn't the money issue it was the fact that he was suffering. In a way I'm please as know this RSPCA PTS for any kind of dental problem.

poor Roland
Obviously he needs the dental, but i'd definately insist they pay for it. i'd get a quote with everything included to show them, so you can still go to your vet but maybe pay the difference?

Poor Roland. :(:(

Is there a reason why he's not having the dental until next week? Bubbles had to wait a few days before her dental last year as she had a high temp, but, with metacam, she was eating fine in the days leading up to the op.

I'd be very concerned that Roland isn't eating now and will then be even more poorly by the time he has his dental.

Poor Roland. :(:(

Is there a reason why he's not having the dental until next week? Bubbles had to wait a few days before her dental last year as she had a high temp, but, with metacam, she was eating fine in the days leading up to the op.

I'd be very concerned that Roland isn't eating now and will then be even more poorly by the time he has his dental.

I'd agree with this...if Roland is still active and happy atm, then why not do the dental now?

ow ow ow poor little man

glad you and your vet are sorting his poorly mouth out now... loads of vibes xxxx

Cant have dental till after weekend as mouth is sore and hes started to eat a bit now so just want to give him some strength.
NOTE: I said hes eating as of this morning.:wave::wave:
He needs to be pooing properly too...they are very hard.Hes doing some poos so Im grateful I caught this problem before it killed him.
I trust my vet implicitly.We will get Roland through this.....Its just irked me hes had this problem and it wasnt picked up at the rescue.I picked it up within 24 hrs!!!!!!!!!!
Vickivet....Yay!! What an idea!!!Pay the difference!!!! I WILL get my way!! I WILL,I WILL!!
On a more cheerful note,giving Roland his medication and stuff this morning,I walked round the kitchen with him feeling like a mum!! Took me back 25 years to when I carried Jodie one handed,putting the kettle on and suchlike!!
Im not letting this fella down!! (I said the same for my Lily Shane!!)

Poor little Roly Poly! :(:(

I think you told me on the phone he's on metacam? Hopefully now he's not in much pain he'll start nomming! :D

Cant have dental till after weekend as mouth is sore and hes started to eat a bit now so just want to give him some strength.
NOTE: I said hes eating as of this morning.:wave::wave:

Fair enough then. :) You hadn't actually put that he had been eating as of this morning btw - your last update was last night when you said he hadn't eaten anything, that's why I was concerned. ;)

Hopefuly he feels a bit brighter now the metacam has taken effect. :love:

Fair enough then. :) You hadn't actually put that he had been eating as of this morning btw - your last update was last night when you said he hadn't eaten anything, that's why I was concerned. ;)

Hopefuly he feels a bit brighter now the metacam has taken effect. :love:

Hes currently in the front room....stretched out!!! Just had a drop of the bio lapis.....gonna give him some fresh herbs and see if he fancies them.Paws crossed!!!

He's probably never seen herbs before! :(

He hasnt i dont think.They certainly werent on the menu at the rescue.
Ive grated some carrot but hes not interested:(
I just want him to nom properly. I KNEW something was up!! He just wasnt that interested in food.Hay yes,food,no.
Thank God he didnt stop eating entirely!!

I have no idea what to do now.Hes drank about 20 mls today.Not alot.And eaten 25 bits of Excell.A little bit of green herb...dont know about hay as its all over his house...upstairs,downstairs and in the masters chamber..
I left grated carrot...not touched.
I keep trying with the bio lapis....but there are times when hes not accepting it...and times when he has a lick of the syringe while I push it gently.
Is it a gradual thing to get a bun eating?
Please advise...

I have no idea what to do now.Hes drank about 20 mls today.Not alot.And eaten 25 bits of Excell.A little bit of green herb...dont know about hay as its all over his house...upstairs,downstairs and in the masters chamber..
I left grated carrot...not touched.
I keep trying with the bio lapis....but there are times when hes not accepting it...and times when he has a lick of the syringe while I push it gently.
Is it a gradual thing to get a bun eating?
Please advise...

From what I understand after reading your OP I doubt he will eat much until he has his Dental. It'll just be too painful for him to do so.
Personally I would contact the Vet again in the morning to see if this can be done. Meantime you may need to make up a liquid feed (pellets soaked in cooled boiled water) to syringe feed him tonight.

From what I understand after reading your OP I doubt he will eat much until he has his Dental. It'll just be too painful for him to do so.
Personally I would contact the Vet again in the morning to see if this can be done. Meantime you may need to make up a liquid feed (pellets soaked in cooled boiled water) to syringe feed him tonight.

i agree - he wont eat much until the dental, but pellet porridge should be ok. Mine loooooove it! smooshed banana separate or mixed in has lots of calories too if he's not eating much.

Back