• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth trouble

lil860

Warren Scout
Ive just got back from the vet with Louie my rabbit. Yesterday he had a weepy eye so decided to take him to the vet. She had a good look in both his eyes even put a dye in them but couldnt find anything wrong! Then she had a good look at his teeth he was such a good boy didnt even flinch, she said that the back ones looked a bit sharp and may need burring under GA. She has given me eye drops just incase it is a eye problem and if it dosnt get any better he may need to have his tear duct flushed. Is it more than likely to be a problem with his teeth? He is eating ok at the moment just chewing a bit slower, should i have them filed now or wait a bit longer? My poor Louie he is just under 3 yrs old :cry:

Tooth roots can cause weepy eyes. They can grow upwards and start to block the tear ducts.

If he is going in for a dental it may be worth asking them to do an x-ray of his skull to see if roots are the problem :)

Vet said i need to take him back if he still isnt right by end of the week she did mention doing x rays etc. She said his very back teeth would need to be filed first as they are a bit sharp, she said he needs to be put out though for her to get a good look! She mentioned the risks of anaesthatising rabbits which worried me a bit but he is young ( 3 years old) so i guess he has that on his side. I lost my last rabbit to a tooth root abscess :cry: so im determined to help him sooner rather than later he also dosnt eat much hay even though ive cut down his pellet little monkey :roll:

Yes she is very good especially with small animals i trust her 100%. Will take him straight back if he isnt better by the end of the week. :D

Back