• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fingers Crossed for Spay Tomorrow!

:(Well Juno's home but she's just sat in the corner of her house refusing to move or eat and I am worried! The nurse said that she had eaten and pooped a little bit after the surgery but then nothing. She's moved about a bit but nothing will tempt her to nibble. We have some liquid feed for later and a syringe if she doesn't eat soon. How long should we leave it before "force" feeding?

They also haven't prescribe any painkillers. I phoned up (my husband collected her) and asked for some they said she had had an injection just before she left so wouldn't need any. Surely this is wrong? I'm kicking myself as I had some metecam for one of the ratties after he sprained his ankle, but threw it away about a week ago.

Try not to panic !!
She has had a hysterectomy, imagine how groggy we'd feel a few hours after that.

Just allow her to rest. Leave a bowl of water and some of her favorite veg and hay nearby. She will be very quiet tonight and unlikely to do more than pick at a bit of food overnight.

She should have poo'd, wee'd and nibbled at some food by first thing tomorrow.
She will have had enough analgesia to last 24 hours but she may need more tomorrow so you would need to request this from the Vet.

i had mine spayed on friday and brought them home at teaime and they just lay in there litter tray and nibbled some spinich but didnt eat anything really till the nxt evening (sat) and then it was only a little bit! I was worried sick!
the following morning they seemed alot better (sun).....:D they were sent home with 3 days doses of painkiller, so maybe you should ask your vet for some tomorrow morning
they have had their check up today and all is fine. :D
try not to worry and give her time. :)

Vet wouldn't give us any painkillers when we rang and asked!:cry:

Still, Juno is eating, albeit only a little at a time. She is really only interested in hay, broccoli and carrot, although she is drinking like a fish.

She looks so thin! I know they have taken some bits of bunny out of the middle, but she seems almost hollow. That must sound really silly . . .

Awww please don't worry too much. When I had my doe spayed she didnt eat for over 24 hours afterwards, except for the odd nibble of hay. I too was worried sick and on the phone to the vet atleast 3 times but in her own time she started eating normally again, and was even feeling well enough to remove her stiches (watch out for this!!)
Keep her warm and comfortable, in a quiet,clean, low lit place and just make sure she has her absolute favourite veggies available for when she wants them. If after 48 hours shes not eating anything atall its time to get her back to the vets.
I'm sure she'll be ok though, shes showing interest in food already :p
Love to bun :love:

Back