• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

arrrggghhh! looks like steves getting a girlfriend ......

hannah C

Alpha Buck
whey way earlier than planned!

my grandma has just called me about my sister, (who i have nothing to do with btw) she has a zoo's worth of small furies and can barley look after herself :evil::evil::evil:

she says that she has 5 rabbits, one male, one female and 3 babies (10 weeks old) all male apparently

the pdsa are taking the little ones and have "advised" that she reconsiders adding to the rabbits in future.

anyhoo my grandma has asked me to call her and take the female. so i call my sister for the first time in years to ask about her rabbits.....i could have cried when she told me about them

i asked if she had had the female and male nutered?- um no
are they vaccinated? -no again
what do they live in?- indoor cages, no run around time
is the female pregnant again? - she says no, as the m and f have been seperated.

and then i asked about the diet...... hay but only for bedding, loads of veg (full carrot each everyday, and lettuce) and constant rabbit mix, i could have cried

so i try not to get wound up, i say i can take the female if she need/wants me to, she umms and arrs says she will think about it, so i decided to ask her about said female breed, condition etc,

shes a netherland dwarf, apparently aggressive, and has a broken/chipped front tooth, i felt sick just listening,

what am i going to do, im going round on friday to assess, i hate hate hate her and the poor animals she keeps are neglected. i just dont want to go and see it'll be distressing.

i think if i can take this poor female i will, and then call the rspca for what it may be worth.

so what im asking is anybody who has experience of netherland dwarfs cn you please give me a background, are they prone to teeth heath and other issiues, and temperment please, just wondered what im letting myself in for!

Nethies are apparently prone to dental isues because of their small jaw and faces :( But as long as they eat plenty of hay and have wooden chews to knaw, I am sure they will be fine, would need to be checked by a vet though..... sometimes diet doesnt prevent dental problems.... Do you think she got them from a pet shop??

oh year and i know whitch pet shop they came from, he sells 3foot hutches labled large rabbit hutch, non of te animals hardley have the correct diet and i feel sick when i go to get the dog chews for my grandparents.:(:(:(

ive calle my vet who says she will innoculate for me and add the consultation on for free bless her.

i really dont know what im going to find and feel ill thinking about the poor bunnies ad that i can only help one!

Is there anyway you could get both? Then maybe rehome one? Convince her they're not good pets and you know someone who's after a male or something?

Is there anyway you could get both? Then maybe rehome one? Convince her they're not good pets and you know someone who's after a male or something?

unfortunatly i only have one spare hutch, the one i got for steve at first, its too small really just for one never mind two, :cry::cry:,

my plan is to convince her to let me take the female, as she sounds in desperate need of some tlc, have her checked over by the vet, for injections teeth and health then donate to a local rescue and get her bonded to steve asap so she has the room and freedom she deserves.
hopefully she wont be in the old hutch for more than a fortnight/ three weeks at the most.

if she is pregnant ive already decided to get her emergancy spayed, i know a lot of people dont agree with this but i have no room or time for baby bunnies, my sister doesnt think she is pregnant but having aconvo with the grandma it seems the little lady has had 3 previous litters:cry::cry::cry: so she probs is.

if then she hasnt rehomed or the rspca have done nothing (as i intend on calling them-its not just rabbits she has) i'll go back for the male and try to rehome, i cant keep him i dont have the funds to do so. and only if i can get a more sutaible hutch/run

i feel so bad i cant take them all

Aybe someone in here would be willing to foster? You never know. It must be an awful position to be in, I feel for you :(

she wont let me take her!:cry::cry::cry:

i went round ans she locked me out, i asked if i could look just to see her tooth and nope.

those poor poor rabbits. i know shes neglecting them,my grandma just discribing the conditions they're in says it all. so now im going to call the RSPCA and see if they do anything........

i feel ill and sick and ive cried so hard i have head ache. :cry::cry::cry:

other than breaking in and stealing her i cant do anything else, unfortunatly she would call the police so i cant do that

Could your gran talk to your sister?

Where in yorks are you? I have a spare hutch you are welcome to - it's not great but would be ok in an emergency.

well ive called my granma, if she doesnt talk her round there is nothing more i can do, we dont get on at all and now i know this about her i cant stand her even more.

i just hope the shock of seeing the rspca will do something to her (she feeds and waters them so they probs wont take any action but they have to go and check it out i suppose) and make her realise, grandma says she has said that she will get her to take the female to the pdsa vets and have her tooth seen to. which is someting i guess.

trouble is shes says that the animals keep her company, and she is keeping them. and there is nothing more i can do.

*sigh

im in rotherham by the way.

Wow, your sister sounds a lot like my sister so I know exactly how you feel :( Mine currently has two unneutered bunnies in a P@H 'Poppy Den' which is only four foot long. She thought she'd bought a male and female and clearly hoped they'd breed but luckily they're both female. I've reported her to my local RSPCA - I even snuck into her garden at 3am to get photographic evidence of their tiny hutch and the fact she hadn't cleaned it out for months. The RSPCA did nothing at all. :censored: My sister still has these bunnies, she has just moved house and has said she will buy them a bigger hutch. I don't believe her. She's had many pets over the years - a collie that she sent so mad, the RSPCA refused to take it (it was shut in a corner of the garden all day and put in a cupboard at night :shock: ), a puppy that died from parvo virus because she didn't get it's vaccinations done, hamsters that she forgot to feed and countless rabbits that have starved to death over winter because 'it's too cold to go out and feed them'.

I feel I can't do anything as she has been diagnosed with mental health problems. My parents think the sun shines out of her butt and get incredibly angry with me when I mention her animals. The RSPCA aren't interested. I feel like I should just go and take them but then I'd end up well and truly in the doghouse.

At least it sounds like your Grandma is on your side :) I really hope she can convince your sister to hand over the bunny to you.

Incidentally, I had a little nethie a long time ago - he was the sweetest little bunny. No attitude problems at all :) and he loved his cuddles. :love:

Wow what a difficult situation, no wonder you are so upset. It sounds like the best hope you have is your Grandma, maybe she can keep talking to her and persuade her that it would be best to give her over to you? I would still call the RSPCA as it doesn't sound like you have much to lose, but like you said I wouldn't hold out much hope. :(

Could you convince her to let you at least let you take the bunny to the vet for her? (and then not give her back....though that's probably not the best idea!:oops::oops:)

Really feel for you Hannah, I've been through a similar situation recently and its so frustrating when there is just nothing you can do.

ive texted her and pleaded to let me take her to a vet, im not getting through though. shes so horrible, i can barley keep my temper with her.....i have been calm though. my figuring is she knows she is wrong and se wont admit it.

her:not giving her up, she keeps me company.
me: you need to get her nutered and let me take her to a vet her teeth need looking at if one is broken
her: her tooth been like that for months she b ok
me: please let me come and take a look, ill make an appointment with my vet and take her and pay for you
her: no your interfering,
me: (changing tactic a little) so how cute are the babies can i come and see those, before the people turn up for them?
her: no your not coming into my house, you just want my rabbit. and im keeping the babies now too.
me: please ****** im asking you to be a responsible owner for once, you know she needs seeing to, she shouldnt live in to conditions you have her in, none of them should, she needs to see a vet, i can afford to take her and make sure she gets treatment, she needs spaying and proper after care. give the babies up to the pdsa they will find them great homes.
her: she doesnt she is fine. if the babies do go then ill put them together ad have more.

i seriously think that she wont give her up because she is breeding her for cute bunnies, shes that sort of person, got kittens, they grew into cats and now she int bothered!

shes in denial, her other animals are apparently in the same state, my poor grandma goes round once a fortnight and cleans all hamsters, gerbles and mice, helps sort out cats and rabbits,

ive printed out some care guides and given them to my grandma, shes going to take them up. i cant go up again looking through the window shocked me so much, the house is a tip, if i go again and she is in i'll probably do something stupid.

i dont know what to do anymore, ive called the rspca, they said they would call round.

It's horrible when you can't do anything. Just keep on at the RSPCA because they can. Say they need medical attention because they're more likely to go round.

I know people like this too and it makes me sick. Just don't beat yourself up about it. Concentrate on looking after your animals. Perhaps there will be a way to get her, so don't give up hope, but don't let it get you down because you've done all you can.

It's horrible when you can't do anything. Just keep on at the RSPCA because they can. Say they need medical attention because they're more likely to go round.

I know people like this too and it makes me sick. Just don't beat yourself up about it. Concentrate on looking after your animals. Perhaps there will be a way to get her, so don't give up hope, but don't let it get you down because you've done all you can.

im really trying not to get eat up about it, but just thinking about it is driving me nuts! shes soooo evil! and she does know better.

You sure she's not related to my sister?? :lol:

I don't get on with mine to well either and I have the same problem that I can't take her bunnies.

I've been being really nice to my sister (I tell ya, it's just about killed me! :lol: ) talking to her about things that aren't related to her pets etc and now she will listen to me when I tell her about her animals. They're still no where near being well looked after but they are always clean when I visit now. And they always have water and hay. All things they never seemed to have beforehand. I've told her about a bigger hutch and neutering and she seems like she wants to do it now, she's just a lazy sod and would rather spend her money on herself. I take the fact that she's thinking about it at least to be a good sign. If I didn't, I think I might go insane. :shock: It's so frustrating when you try to help people and they ignore you.

Could you invite your sister to your house so she can see how happy your rabbits are? She might compare to her own rabbits and see they're unhappy. And I guess she'd be a little more willing to come to yours as you can't take her 'companions' from there. Get Grandma to come along to difuse any arguements?! It might work out... Of course there are always those people that are just pig-ignorant and you jut can't reason with :(

You sure she's not related to my sister?? :lol:

I don't get on with mine to well either and I have the same problem that I can't take her bunnies.

I've been being really nice to my sister (I tell ya, it's just about killed me! :lol: ) talking to her about things that aren't related to her pets etc and now she will listen to me when I tell her about her animals. They're still no where near being well looked after but they are always clean when I visit now. And they always have water and hay. All things they never seemed to have beforehand. I've told her about a bigger hutch and neutering and she seems like she wants to do it now, she's just a lazy sod and would rather spend her money on herself. I take the fact that she's thinking about it at least to be a good sign. If I didn't, I think I might go insane. :shock: It's so frustrating when you try to help people and they ignore you.

Could you invite your sister to your house so she can see how happy your rabbits are? She might compare to her own rabbits and see they're unhappy. And I guess she'd be a little more willing to come to yours as you can't take her 'companions' from there. Get Grandma to come along to difuse any arguements?! It might work out... Of course there are always those people that are just pig-ignorant and you jut can't reason with :(

the problem is that i am very reluctant to let her now exactly where i live! horrible i know but she had my last home broken into as revenge for an argument we had over her bf (older than my mum, lay about a*** basicly) i knew it was her when she called my grandparents to see if i was ok when i hadn't told them yet:roll:
they didnt steal owt just trashed my house!

if i thought it would work i may think about it but i dont think it will shes a law to her own and isnt going to listen.

i may have found a way though, she is on holiday at the end of march, i'll be able to sneak in and look then, the female if bad will come back with me then to get the treatment she needs and be nutered. if i have to give her back at least she wont be bread from and can be bonded to the male she has.

long convo with my grandma last night and thats what we came up with.

I am not wanting you to take this the wrong way:? but be carfull of spaying this rabbit without your sisters premission as she could sue you for it also A vet getss you to sign a form that you are the owner of this animal and if not they need the owners permission to spay it. I found this out yesterday taken 2 rabbits to be spayed I foster.They had to call the owner of them to get the permission .I know your doing what you think right for this rabbit but I dont want you to get into trouble doing it. I probally would do the same in your situation .Im lucky my sisters always ask me advice on there animals :D

Oh my god, you are heaving a rough time aren't you sweetie.

I really don't get these people that are totally reluctant to get help when they clearly aren't coping. I really really hope that it gets sorted and I'm sending lots of unpregnant vibes for the little girl.

Goodluck and keep us updated.

*hugs*

Oh gosh, what a horrible woman! :censored: It's a bit of a pain she's got these bunnies - if she didn't have them then you wouldn't have to give her a second thought. Some people are just dirt.

I'd echo what CollieLover said though - you can get in a lot of trouble for treating another persons pet without their permission. :( And it seems like your sister would want to get you in trouble over it too. Also bare in mind that bunnies need care after the spay - meds and checkups. Would your sister do this if she came home before bunny was totally healed? It's not like it's something she wouldn't notice either as bunny will have a big bald patch and a scar. I'd also worry that she might dump the rabbit if it's no longer able to breed. :(

I think, if I were you, I would go and check on them whilst she's not there. Do you have a key? (I assume someone must have a key as surely she's not going to go away and just leave them with no one to care for them is she?! :shock:). Get in touch with your local RSPCA and see if an inspector will come and have a look with you too, or if they won't, take photos and pass them on.

I really feel for you having to deal with this :( Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! :wave:

Back