• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

infection after a spay

bambi2906

Warren Scout
:wave: hi.
i had my female bunny spayed on the 11th. and she has been fine i took her back to the vets today for her last check up to find out she has an infection :shock: the vet told me to scrub it with some stuff she gave me and to come back next monday. she also said if it didnt heal then she would have to be cut open again as it might be an internal infection with her stitches and they would have to take them out. has this happened to anyone else and if so what was the out come im so scared something might happen. also is there anything else i should do to try and stop the infection getting worse thanks in advance.

:wave:
no there was no antibotics just a hibiscrub which i have to clean her with twice a day. i thin she said that she would treat it for a infection in the skin and then if it doesnt go away then to have a look at whats going on on the inside. thats from what i can remember i was in shock that they would have to cut her open again. is this not right should i have antibotics

okay so i rang vets and they are treating for an skin infection first and then it will be antibotics for an interna, infection but the thing is she keeps licking it how can i stop this apart from putting a t shirt on her thanks

When I had my rabbit spayed a couple of weeks ago she pulled all her stitches out (she had a buster collar on and she managed to get it off during the night). The vet checked her wound and said it was slightly infected. They gave her an antibiotic injection plus pain relief and for her that did the trick. We went back the next day and the vet was happy with it - no further treatment was needed.

I had to use a buster collar for my bunny because she was at her wound at every opportunity - a lot of people don't like using them for rabbits but mine coped fine with it (took her a bit of time to get used to it), we used to take it off every day so she could have some supervised time with it off.

Good luck with it!

When Radish had her spay she kept licking the wound and was prescribed baytril to be administered twice daily. I'm surprised your vets hasn't done the same.

Back