• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

decision on our Daisy.

clairekaitlin

Warren Scout
Right you lot I am going to need all the help I can get because I have decided to let the vets try there best and operate.
I am not well enough to bring her in today so its rebooked for Thursday, It was like she knew, last night she was showing me she could eat and drink and even came out of the cage for a cuddle which is rare for her!
She has oral antibiotics for today and then goes in Thursday morning between 8 and 8.30am

She will be coming home with an open wound so what will I have to do?
will I have to seperate her from her sister? was thinking of putting her in the travel cage with her thick soft fleece to recover? also vet told me to bring her in with hay to eat before and after op so will she be able to eat as normal?

Sorry if I'm rambling I'm just so nervous:shock:

claire x

I'm so glad you are giving Daisy the best chance :D

Definately send her to the vets with all her normal food, most of us send bunnies up with packed lunches :oops: :lol:

After the op she will need a lot of care. Her abscess will need cleaning probably twice a day, with all the pus being cleaned out of it. It may smell really :mrgreen: I have to do it with the windows open while sucking polos :lol: She may need antibiotics putting directly in the hole or Manuka honey is also really good. It depends on what your vet advises. It is important to keep the abscess open for as long as possible so it heals from the inside. It will probably take many weeks for it to heal completely during which time she should be on antibiotics and pain relief.

Is the vet going to x-ray while she is under so you know how far into the bone it has spread?

Good luck with it xx

I'm so glad you are giving Daisy the best chance :D

Definately send her to the vets with all her normal food, most of us send bunnies up with packed lunches :oops: :lol:

After the op she will need a lot of care. Her abscess will need cleaning probably twice a day, with all the pus being cleaned out of it. It may smell really :mrgreen: I have to do it with the windows open while sucking polos :lol: She may need antibiotics putting directly in the hole or Manuka honey is also really good. It depends on what your vet advises. It is important to keep the abscess open for as long as possible so it heals from the inside. It will probably take many weeks for it to heal completely during which time she should be on antibiotics and pain relief.

Is the vet going to x-ray while she is under so you know how far into the bone it has spread?

Good luck with it xx

Oh god see this is what is making me think I shouldnt let her suffer? she is teeny, less than a bag of sugar and it just seems cruel because then she is going to think i will hurt her evertime she is picked up:(

xx

Try not to worry...if the vet can remove the whole abscess capsule, she shouldn't need the wound kept open unless it regrows...but she will probably need antibiotics that are unlicensed in rabbits and you may have to inject her.

I'd only keep the girls separate if Daisy's sister bullys her, which could stress her out.

Try not to worry...if the vet can remove the whole abscess capsule, she shouldn't need the wound kept open unless it regrows...but she will probably need antibiotics that are unlicensed in rabbits and you may have to inject her.

I'd only keep the girls separate if Daisy's sister bullys her, which could stress her out.

No her sister knows something is wrong, she shields Daisy when I reach toward her and she keeps licking the abcess:?
Poor thing just wants her sister better x

My Daisy had an abscess last year and the vet was able to remove the entire capsule. She bounced back really quickly and was fine by the next day. Fingers crossed for you that your Daisy's abscess can be treated the same way.

If not and she does come home with an open wound I'm sure people on here with experience will be able to advise you as her treatment progresses. I was terrified of this with my Daisy because I dreaded seeing her in pain and wasn't confident about managing all the post op care properly, so I completely understand why you're worried.

But from reading threads on here it seems like lots of bunnies have come through it really well :)

Loads of vibes for Daisy and for you.

My Daisy had an abscess last year and the vet was able to remove the entire capsule. She bounced back really quickly and was fine by the next day. Fingers crossed for you that your Daisy's abscess can be treated the same way.

If not and she does come home with an open wound I'm sure people on here with experience will be able to advise you as her treatment progresses. I was terrified of this with my Daisy because I dreaded seeing her in pain and wasn't confident about managing all the post op care properly, so I completely understand why you're worried.

But from reading threads on here it seems like lots of bunnies have come through it really well :)

Loads of vibes for Daisy and for you.

Awww thanks so much:D hearing other successful stories makes me so hopeful:love:

She has been eating and drinking well today, its like the oral antibiotics are helping already:) she even came out of the cage, jumped onto the sofa and rubbed noses with my 2 year old:love: I was shocked and nearly cried and even more so when she half binkied:love::love:

Fingers tightly crossed everyone xxxx
claire x

We had to do the 'open abcess' bit with Thistle (jaw abcess) and my partner did it - he is wonderful with that kind of stuff! The good news is it worked really really well and she was cured:D

Hey all:wave:
Well vets have just rung to say Daisy has made it and did very well, I am off to collect her in just under an hour and I cant wait:love::love:

Her poor sister knows she has gone, she has been having major tantrums throwing all her toys around the cage and everytime I approach her she turns her back on me so I have explained to her lol and I'm sure she will be very very excited to see her:love:

Get ready for my many questions lol xx
claire xx

Thats fantastic news :wave:

I will wait for your update before I answer your pm, as once you have seen her you may have more specific questions :D

Thats fantastic news :wave:

I will wait for your update before I answer your pm, as once you have seen her you may have more specific questions :D

Shes home:love: so happy:love:
She has the open wound and snuggs keeps trying to lick her, is that ok? I have been told by vet I need to clean it twice a day with cooled boiled water and squeeze out any pus:oops: this I am dreading because she looks as though it hurts:(
She has had a painkilling injection which will last 2 days at least but if she seems in pain they said just to give them a ring and take her back for another:)
She is eating and drinking ok at the moment and in her normal cage with snugs who is cuddled right in next to her and keeps nuzzling up to her:love:
She is also on oral antibiotics and I take her back monday.......so explain what I should expect/look out for etc please xx
claire x

Sorry I can not give any advise but just wanted to say that I am so happy for you that she has pulled through and is back home where she belongs! :love:

That's fantastic news. Glad Daisy got through the op and is now home with her family again. Great she is eating and drinking OK too.

Carry on healing, Daisy bun xxxx

Sorry I can not give any advise but just wanted to say that I am so happy for you that she has pulled through and is back home where she belongs! :love:

Thanks people:wave:
She seems even better today! The lump is half the size it was and no redness or pus coming out no matter how hard I try and squuze:oops: She will happily let me clean it but isn't fond of water on her nose lol xxxx

:thumb:

Keep up the good work, it will be worth it :) My mum had to work hard for 6 months to finally clear my Tipsy but it was worth it :D

Give her a snuggle from me :D

Well peeps,:wave:
Daisy was back at the vets today for a checkup and is doing very well:D they cut the scab away and flushed through her nose again and only managed to get 1ml of pus out :D
She is back there on Friday, and hopefully will then be discharged:D I have got to continue cleaning,squeezing and giving the antibiotics until then so it ok.

Thanks for your continued help and support, I will update again soon xx
claire
p.s-Get well vibes for all other poorly babbits:cry: xxxx

Back