• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your rabbit eat snow?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
feb10029.jpg

Mine wont stop eating snow. Does it do them any harm?

Louie pretends he is a snow plough pushing the snow around and then spends ages eating it :D

Yup Velvet eats snow so nothing to worry about!!

I think it's fine - it's just basically ice and water.

This is from a past thread...

you do know that rabbits eating snow is a really bad thing as it lowers the body temp and cant cause the body to shut down just like in humans that why if your caught in snow sranded you should never never eat the snow if you thirsty
drinking near frozen water they cant drink it as it frozen sorry only way round this is to keep changing the water put old socks over the bottles helps a bit and dont give cold water give slightly off cold water it doesnt freeze as quick ann x

Oh dear!! I was worried about the temperature thing - that's why I asked. Some must be okay with it going by what others have said but I'll try and discourage them from snow guzzling!!:?

I too have heard the warning about eating snow and lowering body temperature. I can't find it unfortunately, but I also once read something a vet wrote about treating cases of GI stasis resulting from snow eating (as jazzywoo wrote, body shut down, etc).

Not just that, but I've also heard snow is full of toxins -- all the **** in our environment ends up concentrated in the snow, or something. No one should be eating it!

I too have heard the warning about eating snow and lowering body temperature. I can't find it unfortunately, but I also once read something a vet wrote about treating cases of GI stasis resulting from snow eating (as jazzywoo wrote, body shut down, etc).

Not just that, but I've also heard snow is full of toxins -- all the **** in our environment ends up concentrated in the snow, or something. No one should be eating it!

Glad this threads been brought up again, I just did a quick google search about what Jazzywoo said (if stranded you shouldn't eat snow as it can lower body temperature) and a lot of sites say the same. It worries me some people are happy to let indoor rabbits especially go out and play in the snow when they're used to a nice warm house and haven't grown a winter coat

Back